Escargot l'Amphytrion with Beaujolais

Tonight’s supper, following last night’s Valentine’s indulgence, was seven large escargot for each of us, prepared in the style of l’Amphytrion, a Belgian restaurant we ate at in 1974, while we were there for the World Championship Bicycle Races. I was trying this in preparation for our ‘Battle Burgundy’ at the end of the month. I hadn’t prepared snails this way for nearly thirty years.

The preparation is: a mixture of chopped tomatoes, garlic, ham, & mushrooms; mixed and heated with the escargot in individual ramekins. I sautéed chopped baby portobellos in a mixture of olive oil and butter, with thyme, garlic, and black pepper, added finely chopped prosciutto ends, cooked for several minutes, and added to chopped fire-roasted tomatoes and garlic. The mixture was cooked for several minutes and then held. About fifteen minute before serving, seven escargot were placed in each ramekin, topped with the tomato mixture, and a small pat of water buffalo butter. The ramekins were put in a pre-heated 400F oven and cooked for 12-13 minutes.

The escargot were served with rolls and a 2003 Dom. Joël Rochette Régnié ‘Cuvée des Braves’ - bright ruby in color; nose and flavors of ripe, earthy cherries and strawberries; slighly low in acid (because of the vintage); and a medium fruity finish. The wine was very enjoyable with the rich escargot prep.

Then for dessert, while watching the Prologue and rainy Stage 1 of the Tour of California (via TiVo), we had Chaumes and aged Provolone with two fruit pastes. pear-vanilla and peach-vanilla, with another 1999 Elyse Late-harvest Viognier ‘Skellinger Ranch’ - a little bit harsher than the last one, probably because of the sweetness of the pastes. It’s better with nuts and dried fruit.

WOW!!! Sounds delicious!!
[notworthy.gif] [give_heart.gif] [dance2.gif] [friends.gif] [drinkers.gif]

Superb Dick!!!
Classic pairing and I love Cru Beaujolais!!!

[cheers.gif]

Dick, meant to ask tonight over dinner (wonderful as always, thanks!), where did you get the snails for this dish?

I got the snails at Kaune’s Foodtown here.