Favorite Hot Sauce, rubs, BBQ or other Marinade? Recipes?

The video of the kid eating a whole ghost pepper made me think I need to find some more adventurous sauces - though nothing that hot. My current favorite is the Trader Joe’s habanero sauce. Hot, but nothing like ghost pepper, I imagine. Anyone care to share their favorites, store bought or home made?

Drew

Captain Thom’s West African Voodoo Juice made from red savina mash. Really good heat with nice flavor. Another really good hot sauce for seafood, that I recently discovered in Nashville at The Southern restaurant, is Peace & Plenty.

A local taco truck puts out a couple dozen hot sauces. One that I really like is Valentina Salsa Picante Mexican hot sauce (made in Guadalajara). Has some zip, but mostly a lot of really good flavor.

For BBQ sauce, my go-to is Stubbs Original, but I’ve recently been on a kick with Williams-Sonoma Bourbon and Black Pepper BBQ sauce. Wish I knew who makes it for them, and if there is a non-store brand equivalent.

Two for two here, Alan. I had some Valentina on my eggs this morning. I’ve been using Stubb’s Original for about 15 years as it’s not too sweet with a mild kick. Sometimes I add some red wine vinegar and/or yellow mustard to it to change it up a little.

Huge fan of Trader Joe’s habanero sauce, too. I wasn’t expecting much, but it was great!

As for spicy BBQ sauces, one that comes to mind is Kansas City’s Cowtown Night of the Living Bar-B-Q Sauce. Long name, weird looking label, but really spicy and addicting.

I decided to take matters into my own hands and was led severely astray by a “free shipping” over $75 offer. Accordingly, although I saw good reviews for each of these, can anyone offer any thoughts on any of the following before the box arrives?

African Rhino Peri Peri Mild Pepper Sauce
Fighting Cock Kentucky Bourbon BBQ Sauce
Heartbreaking Dawns Mango Habanero Hot Sauce
Melinda’s Amarillo Hot Mustard Pepper Sauce
Melinda’s Fire Roasted Habanero & Garlic Hot Sauce
Melinda’s Red Savina Hot Sauce
Pain is Good Jamaican Style Hot Sauce
Scorned Woman Hot Sauce
Tapatio Hot Sauce
Thai Monkey Hot Sauce
Try Me Yucatan Sunshine Habanero Sauce
Walkerswood Scotch Bonnet Hot Sauce
Walkerswood Spicy Jamaican Jerk Barbecue Sauce
Wet Fart Hot Sauce
White Zombie Hot Sauce

Scorned Woman’s good/great
Tapatio’s ok
Melinda’s is good to great

Don’t know the others, sorry.

Tapatio’s as common as Tabasco and Sriracha. Surprised you haven’t had it yet! I’d say it’s generally pretty decent, but when it’s used on tacos (specifically, fish tacos), it’s great! Also better on eggs than most other spicy sauces, in my opinion.

Cholula (also from Mexico) is 5x better than Tapatio. By the way there is already a long thread on hot sauce on the Epicurious board.

We use a lot of the Smoked Tabasco. It is great on stuff like BBQ Nacho’s and the above mentioned eggs. For sweet bbq sauces we use Sweet Baby Ray’s. I use Stubb’s original. Of course the sauce never touches any meat during the cooking process.

As I have said repeatedly, there is no one hot sauce. On Red Beans, usually use Crystal, Gumbo regular tabasco, Oysters Green tabasco, Frank’s on Wings, Sriracha on lots of stuff, homemade sauce on greens.

If you want hot sauces, here is a good thread:

For BBQ sauces, I agree with Alan, Stubb’s is my favorite store brand. Original and the Spicy.

Thanks all!

This and Sriracha are my two all-purpose sauces. There is a tan/gold label which is the mild, and the black label is the super hot one. I prefer the mild. It’s $2.69 for a liter at my local supermarket in Queens.

I don’t really use barbecue sauce as much so I’ll just grab whatever, right now I have a bottle of Dinosaur BBQ sauce in the fridge.

For rubs and marinades I follow Tex’s stock recipes and will riff off that depending on what I’m doing or what I have in the house if I’m ill prepared.

Tapatio’s sucks.

I’m pretty pedestrian with hot sauce, love the supermarket brands; my current faves:

Frank’s original for grilled chicken
Crystal for fried chicken
Tabasco original for eggs, fried potatoes and as an addition to sauces or most any dish as a flavor enhancer
Tabasco green for any/all Mexican cuisine

Of course, Sriracha always has it’s place.

And agreed with all who think Original Stubbs is an amazing bbq sauce…so good, especially with grilled pork products.

^Blasphemy!

Russ, I ordered two other Captain Thom’s but could not find that one. Looking forward to try something from this Baltimore company - reviews of all of them sound pretty good.

Oh, and in addition to the list above, I ordered: Baron West Indian Hot sauce.

Alex, all of those are passable and somewhat useful. However, its that very list that has me looking for something more interesting / less mundane.

Not exactly a hot sauce but good stuff. Used it in a Mango salsa the other night and it was seriously good.

[resizeableimage=300,300]http://dxkdul4cprxwx.cloudfront.net/0f8364eea454421b9b88f12c84eb9912_820x820.jpg[/resizeableimage]

for bang for your buck, I like the HarrisTeeter BBQ sauces especially the Carolina styles

Please note that I did refer to myself as “pretty pedestrian with hot sauce.”

That said, I’ll certainly take “passable and somewhat useful,” which is somewhat similar to how the opposite sex has often referred to me on more than one occasion after having had the opportunity to actually “get to know” me better…

[cheers.gif]