Re: San Sebastian

#101 Post by Barry L i p t o n » April 4th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Thanks!

John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by John Osburn » April 5th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Thanks for the updates! We are going there mid-May and are considering options. We may just wind up doing pintxos rather than the starred places.

Any good non-food-oriented day trip tips (apart from Bilboa and La Rioja)?

Ramon C

#103 Post by Ramon C » April 5th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Drive to French Basque (Pays Basque).

St. Jean Pied-de-Port is a quaint French countryside town. St. Jean-de-Luz is a coastal/beach town towards Biarritz.
@brera

Sarah Kirschbaum

#104 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » April 6th, 2019, 4:05 am

In the Pays Basque, there is a wonderful producer of hams and prepared products called Pierre Oteiza:

https://en.pierreoteiza.com/

You can arrange for tours here, which include the farm (lots of really adorable Basque pigs) and the drying/aging facility.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by Jim Stewart » April 6th, 2019, 4:47 am

John Osburn wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Thanks for the updates! We are going there mid-May and are considering options. We may just wind up doing pintxos rather than the starred places.

Any good non-food-oriented day trip tips (apart from Bilboa and La Rioja)?
+1

John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by John Osburn » April 6th, 2019, 9:32 am

Excellent, thanks much. We are also staying in a small town near Pays Basque for 5 days, and a night or two near Irouleguy or one of the St Jeans so nice to hear.

John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by John Osburn » April 8th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
April 6th, 2019, 4:05 am
In the Pays Basque, there is a wonderful producer of hams and prepared products called Pierre Oteiza:

https://en.pierreoteiza.com/

You can arrange for tours here, which include the farm (lots of really adorable Basque pigs) and the drying/aging facility.
That sounds like a perfect day trip! [cheers.gif]

Rory K.

#108 Post by Rory K. » June 30th, 2019, 5:45 pm

This is a very helpful post! I'm heading to San Sebastian on a little solo trip in September and am planning on lunches at Martin Berasategui, Kokotxa, Elkano, and Alameda, with an eye towards Bodegon Alejandro too. Would love any updated impressions anyone has, I'd almost like to cut one of those off the list! Going solo will make ordering fun bottles of wine a little tough, but it's a food vacation first and foremost.
Last edited by Rory K. on July 1st, 2019, 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
K i n n e a r

ITB

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by David K o l i n » June 30th, 2019, 8:28 pm

No three stars this trip, but we had a stunning lunch at Mirador de Ulia. Lunch is the perfect meal given the view.

John Draper

#110 Post by John Draper » July 1st, 2019, 6:48 am

Question for the berserker community. I'm flying into Madrid on Sept 21st and then staying in San Sebastian until Sept 25th before needing to return to Madrid by the 27th for work. Would it make more sense to drive to SS from Madrid or fly to SS, rent a car in San Sebastian, and then fly back to Madrid or should I rent a car out of Madrid? May possibly want to do a couple of days in Barcelona the 25th and 26th?
liberstein

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by David K o l i n » July 1st, 2019, 7:15 am

It's a five hour drive from Madrid to San Sebastian, which is a pretty long drive after a night of flying (particularly if your flight is delayed by seven hours). The first three hours of the drive aren't very interesting, but the last 90 minutes are beautiful.

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by scamhi » July 1st, 2019, 8:22 am

it is an easy drive from Madrid to San Sebastian. we had little use for a car once in SS. we did visit Casa Julian in Tolosa about a 20 min drive from SS and of course Asador Etxebarri which is a car destination visit and difficult reservation which you may be able to swing for 1 person.
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Mike Wenzel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by Mike Wenzel » July 1st, 2019, 10:01 am

We rented a car in Madrid and drove from Madrid to San Sebastian, stopped at Extebarri for lunch on the way. Also drove back to Madrid for our flight out, took 4.5 hours. Did not use the car at all in San Sebastian other than for a day trip to Biarritz, which was less than an hour drive.

We did this without cell phone gps, just old school paper maps, and definitely missed a turn or two getting to Extebarri. I imagine it would be quite simple now.

Rory K.

#114 Post by Rory K. » September 15th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Reupping this thread as I have just (or nearly just) completed my first trip to the region. I traveled solo, so Extebarri was unfortunately not possible as they do not allow 1p rez, but I had wonderful meals at Azurmendi, Elkano, Bodegon Alejandro, and Alameda. Sharing my notes for referenced...

Azurmendi was special, you have to be in to that sort of elevated molecular gastronomy, but I found service to be flawless and every texture and flavor to be perfectly composed. Some theatrics but all felt in service to the menu. The only hitch was the three types of bread they served, none were better than good and given the size of the meal they were excessive so I only had a few bites of each. The tour of appetizers was fun, but didn't feel wholly necessary, although each bite was delicious. After asking two or three times, the Sommelier did in fact have a 1/2 bottle of sparkling, jean paul hebrart champagne premier cru, not on the list, for something like 40e. A perfectly versatile pairing.

Elkano was the opposite from Azurmendi, extremely simple and stripped down, but the fish was perfect. The smallest Turbot they had was 1.3kilo so I went for monkfish with lobster and kokotxa to start. local bubbly by the glass

Alameda, the 1* family joint in Hondarribia, was also incredibly good. Little 'molecular gastronomy' but each dish was beautiful and tasty, with nearly everything seasonal and local too. They had a bottle of Cune Imperial for 45 bucks so I splurged and took the last 1/3 of it back to the hotel.

Bodegon Alejandro is a nice little restaurant in the old town, with a very solid menu that I would love to revisit. I had jamon, lamb, and apple pie, with a half bottle of Vina Ardanza 2009. They had a spectacular looking honeycomb in the entry way, and they sliced off a bit for me when I asked about it, amazing.
K i n n e a r

ITB

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by dcornutt » September 15th, 2019, 8:58 pm

Glad you had a great time Rory. Thanks for the notes.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”