Fun with mushrooms.

Steve and I both love mushrooms-- so much so that when we grill burgers for the kids, we often grill portobellos or shiitakes for ourselves instead. We’re always looking for meal ideas that include mushrooms, in place of meat, as a main course. We had porcini risotto a few days ago, and tonight we’re planning white pizza with some beautiful hedgehogs that I just picked up at the store. Mushroom ragout on polenta is another house favorite.

Do you have any meals you enjoy with mushrooms as the main course? Or any recipes to share?

As a side dish I will frequently stir-fry thin sliced shiitake mushrooms and savoy cabbage with garlic, ginger, soy, and sesame oil. The mushrooms get crisp in the wok and that alleviates the problem my SO has with mushroom texture.

Good thread, Melissa. I love mushrooms, too. Had Pobega’s chanterelle pizza tonight. Not to be missed if you make it out this way.

Pictures of the food/wines/attendees?

…The leftovers of our Black Truffle Pizza last night from Full of Life Flatbread. I’m savoring the last few pieces.

Oh yeah?

MORELS!

We get a lot of good morels here in the Pacific Northwest, but I’ve never seen one the size of an iPhone!

As a tangential aside, I’d slice that sucker in half to clean it… you never know what’s hiding inside!

Extreme Genius.

[u]HERE[/u] you go, from a Saturday market in Beaune. More pics here: Random Ramblings on Food and Wine: MarketWatch: Beaune" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I tried to embed the picture but it wouldn’t work for me. [shrug.gif]

The Beaune market is great for anything that you want in season.

OMFG!!!

Now I have morel envy!!!

I’d make a forcemeat out of ground veal or turkey and stuff that sucker!!!