Looking for Ideal Deep Fat Fryer

I would love to have a deep fat fryer that held two gallons of oil, and that all parts of it which touch the oil could be placed in the dishwasher. Yes, I know that I could use a pan stove top, but I would like thermostatically controlled temperature regulation. My two complaints about the commonly available deep fat fryers are that the heating element is difficult to clean because it is attached to the control unit that is not waterproof, and that the temperature of the gallon of oil drops about 25 degrees or more when you put food in it for any more than two people. Is there such an animal out there? Thanks.

Bruce, check with your local Wolf/Sub Zero dealer. I think Wolf makes one.

I’ve been using a huge circulon pot on my gas cooktop. It doesn’t hold 2 gallons though. I use my redi-check temp probe that I use when cooking steaks or brisket. Fairly quick temp response when rasing or lowering flame.

Here you go, Bruce. Wolf Appliances | Ranges, Built-In Ovens, Cooktops & More" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the suggestions. I have put the Wolf link on my appliance list for my new house. Bob, do you know if the pan pops out for cleaning? I have seen some with a drain and they would seem like a bitch to clean. Have you used one of these built-ins?

No. Yes, at the local distributor of Wolf/SZ/Asko, where I did some demonstration classes for their kitchen design and builder customers, but I only used the fryer once and I didn’t have to clean it now that I think about it.

I’d have to think that Wolf has to has competition from someone - Thermidor, Bosch, Dacor, Viking . . .?

I have a silly question (I’ve never really owned one of these). How often do you have to drain the oil versus being able to reuse it in one of these things?

Joe, a lot depends on how frequently you use and what you cook in it. With my one gallon conventional fryer, I can leave the oil in it for three to four weeks with use one to two times each week. In SoCal, I keep the fryer outside (so that it doesn’t smell up the house) where the temperatures are below 70 degrees most of the time. I believe in warmer climates that the oil would probably go rancid faster. I always use peanut oil. If you cook foods that don’t shed a lot of particles such as FF potatoes, no problem. But if you cook breaded or battered food, I find that the shed particles accumulate and start giving the oil an off taste. I also find that onions and fish flavor the oil for subsequent cookings.