What's in YOUR garden?

Spring is officially three days old. But seriously arrived here in Cali over a month ago. With days getting longer and the sun gloriously beating down…

Here’s what’s been planted so far:

Tomatoes: Ace55, Celebrity beefsteak, Super Sweet Cherry 100

Peppers: Red, Green, and Yellow Bells, Anaheim Chiles, Jalapeño

Squash: Zucchini, Yellow straight neck, Cucumber

Herbs: Lemon Thyme, Sweet Basil, Thai Basil, Chives, Italian Parsley, Rosemary

Sugar Snap Peas

Weed.

Doing a backyard remodel right now but I’m actually expanding my garden this year.

Currently still have: 2 types of hot peppers, brussel sprouts, beets, crazy tall flowering arugula, nasturtiums, mint, basil, thyme

Just bought today: Momotaro, Super Sweet, Purple Cherokee, and 2 other types. Shishito peppers.

Is it too late to grow stuff via seed? If not, where do you guys get your seeds?

Jalapenos, cilantro, rosemary, and basil.
Tomatoes: hybrid - Big Boy, Better Boy, Parks Whopper Improved. Heirloom - Rutgers, Mr Stripey, and German Queens. I have flowering on the Rutgers and Big Boy already, and the Parks Whopper has my first tomato! (2nd pic).
049.JPG
051.JPG

So far?

Weeds.

Dang a lot of you are growing weed! Heard its good in brownies.

snap peas and greens only since we are moving in June so no tomatoes this year
image.jpg

Peas, beets and carrots in the ground. Tomatoes & peppers and whatever my wife decides this weekend.

JD

Added some sequoia strawberries and one uber wiley… GOPHER.

Ugh. So far we’ve only lost the chives.

Call Carl Spackler and he can help you out:

How about a nice, cool drink, varmints? Scum! Slime! Menace to the golfing industry! You’re a disgrace. You’re varmints. You’re one of the lowest members of the food chain and you’ll probably be replaced by the rat. Well, I have been pushed. It’s about time somebody teaches these varmints a little lesson about morality and about what it’s like to be a decent, upstanding member of a society! Come to Carl, varmint. – I guess we’re playing for keeps now. I guess the kidding around is pretty much over. I guess it’s just a matter of pumping about five thousand gallons of water down there to teach you a little bit of a lesson. Is that it? I think it is!

so far:

Red and white and yellow onions
Rhubarb ( two types )
asparagus ( three types )

Peas (sweet and snap)
Green onions
Pole beans
Many herbs
peppers (green, jalapeno, serrano, habanero )
Cherry tomatoes going in later today.

…and my wife has 6 plants of Bubba Kush -Willie Nelson clones. [dance2.gif] [highfive.gif]

LOL!

We are moving this fall so only doing potted stuff. I started plants from seed back in February. Just tomatoes and peppers. I read Epic Tomatoes and I am focused on heirlooms only.

Lillians yellow, German Green, Sungold, Pink Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, Black Krim (my favorite), and a Russian heirloom variety that we saved from fruit gifted to us last fall. To my great pleasure the Black Krim is by far the most vigorous plant. We also have several of these leafing in a potato typicity. I also germinated habanero, caribbean red, and a hopefully very hot serrano variety.

All the Toms, Anaheims and bells are hanging, and the 8 ball squash was the first to bear fruit. Zuccs and cucs are coming in and the strawberries are by far the sweetest I’VE EVER TASTED. Cray…

Tomatoes are growing slowly for me since San Diego’s weather has been cool lately. My Brussel Sprouts look tiny but the radishes are growing well. Mint looks awesome right now and my shishito peppers are about the size of a pinky. Can’t wait to see what the garden looks like in 3 weeks when I return from vacation.

Going to be an AWESOME year if the heat that we got two years back repeats itself.
I have 8 plants of Early Girl (50 day) tomatoes doing well. They should show some results by end of June Sun willing.
2 large pots of sweet basil that is doing amazingly well, always does. Large plump leaves and fragrant from 5 feet away. I will start another pot mid-July.
I have long potter of small onions. I love grilling these alongside steaks in the summer. Best for me at about golf ball size.
Italian parsley (8 bunches) and a 2 smaller tomato plants (75 day) finish me off this year.

Here’s hoping your garden grows fruitfully!

Too many varieties of herbs to list- rosemary, thyme, oregano, dill, fennel, camomile, mint, sage, lavender, basil, cilantro, italian parsley
Radishes, bush beans, and peas
Scallions, Leeks, Strawberries, Beets, Carrots, and Cukes
Kale, Garlic, Chives, Tomatos, Jalapenos, Poblanos, and other peppers
Raspberries and blackberries, blueberries, pomegranates, meyer lemons
Artichokes, asparagus, lettuce, horseradish, 1015 onions
Zucchini, acorn squash, cantaloupe, broccoli
And apple, pear, cherry, nectarine, and peach trees in the front

:slight_smile: Congrats Lori!

I’m pretty sure that list seals the deal on greatest garden. Post some pics if possible? I’ve begun to harvest some peas, zucchini, and strawberries. The basil is super sweet as well and the tomatoes are going crazy! Looks to be a good harvest this summer.

basil/mint/ a bunch of tomatoes/ two squash/cucumbers.

I made a big mistake though. I wasn’t thinking about sun exposure. The left half of the garden area only gets sun until roughly 1pm. Then it just gets sun that pokes through the trees that the sun goes over. The right half of the area is unplanted (had too much stray grass growth to deal with) but it gets a lot of sun. I’m slowly transplanting some stuff farther to the right and moving soil, but some of the tomato plants have gotten huge in two weeks, so I figure I’ll keep those where they are at.