Nashville and Surrounding area Eats?????

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Jason Hagen

#51 Post by Jason Hagen » April 22nd, 2017, 10:33 am

Jay Carroll wrote:
Also- curious on the hot chicken thing. Not a heat spice person- but figure I have to check it out. Hattie B's or Prince?

Thanks!
Personally I enjoy both. IMO Hattie B's does a better job of cooking the chicken. BUT, if you have the time, because it is not fast at least at the original location, you need to go to Prince's. It is where it was invented. And it is an experience. And if you are telling someone you have only had Nashville Hot Chicken once, you are gonna want it to be Prince's.

If Prince's is too much work, I would say 400 Degrees since it is probably the closest to Prince's. Just get the mild version and you will be fine.

Or do Hot Fish at Bolton's.

[youtube]72xXxV9qIPg[/youtube]

Cheers,

Jason

adam landa
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by adam landa » April 22nd, 2017, 3:35 pm

Jay...I haven't been to the new 400 location, but it is my favorite...and I go for 200 level. Second favorite is Boltons in East Nashville. Not a fan of Hatties...feels too commercial and nowhere as good as others IMO.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » April 23rd, 2017, 10:52 pm

BTW, anyone else in Nashville in August for the total solar eclipse (best place in the USA to watch)?
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Jay Carroll » April 24th, 2017, 5:42 pm

Thanks for the tips$
I am just a cowboy lonesome on the trail
Lord, I'm just thinking about a certain female

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Jay $$ Winton » April 25th, 2017, 8:10 am

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:BTW, anyone else in Nashville in August for the total solar eclipse (best place in the USA to watch)?
We'll be about 90 miles away on top of a mountain hoping for clear weather!
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Jay Carroll » May 16th, 2017, 8:57 am

Back from Nashville- really had a great time.

After a long somewhat miserable drive in the rain- we made our first stop at Hattie B's. I am a wimp- and had watched the Boudain episode from Nashville and he complained of having some intestinal issues after the really hot chicken- so went with the mild. Had just a little kick- but would try the medium next time. We ordered the 2 piece white and 2 piece dark- comes with a couple sides- the greens were the standout.

Had dinner in East Nashville- went for a cocktail at Holland House before dinner- quite good and the bartender was great. Cool room with a good vibe. Dinner at the Treehouse- which was underwhelming. The beet salad and blood sausage were the best of the 6 things we tried.

Friday we met some friends for drinks at Pinewood Social- was ok. Service was not great. Dinner that night at 5th and Taylor- which was quite good. Great service. Halibut collar as an app was great. They have a $25 corkage but ordered off the list.

Saturday morning went to Biscuit Love on a couple recommendations- crazy line at 10am on a Saturday morning. I am not one for lines- but sucked it up and waited about an hour. Had the East Nasty- wow was really good. Boneless fried chicken thigh on a biscuit with aged cheddar smothered in the sausage gravy. Also the Bonuts- might have been the best bite of the weekend.

Nashville is quite a town- the people were great. But funny- all the wait people, bartenders etc were all from somewhere else. Looking forward to another visit.
I am just a cowboy lonesome on the trail
Lord, I'm just thinking about a certain female

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by AlexS » April 14th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Bump.

Are there any restaurants in Nashville with a decent vegetarian menu?
s t e w @ r t

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » April 15th, 2018, 1:38 am

AlexS wrote:Bump.

Are there any restaurants in Nashville with a decent vegetarian menu?
The Catbird Seat (#10 on OAD's Top 100 US restaurants list) does a vegetarian tasting menu. I haven't had it, but the non-vegetarian menu is fantastic.
Cheers,
/<evin

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by AlexS » April 15th, 2018, 8:47 am

Thx Kevin!
s t e w @ r t

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

#60 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » April 15th, 2018, 10:31 am

fwiw, i was in Nashville last weekend. Went to 3 hot chicken places: Hattie B's, Prince's and Bolton's Hot Chicken and Fish. (IMO, the best fried chicken I ate last weekend was at Monell's,the southern, homestyle, family dining place (3 of them, I think). By far the tastiest chicken we ate all weekend..and the juiciest. Amazing deal: like $15 for Saturday lunch). As for the "hot chicken" places, they are all different...and IMO, somewhat of a gimmick,as they can mask the quality-- good or bad-- of the fried chicken focus on the heat level more than anything else.

My impressions: Hattie B's, modern, clean, efficient...good food; no "down home" feel to it really; had the best side of the weekend: black-eyed pea salad. (They all use frozen french fries. Prince's was in a scary neigborhood with a crowd mixed with locals and tourists. Not as efficient as Hattie B's...but fun to share tables with strangers. The heat levels here are the highest (the "hot" at Prince's was hotter than the hottest at Hattie B's (and made our adult son ill newhere . So, beware. The locals were ordering "mild". The heat here is pastier. Bolton's was good, too....their 'heat" is more like sprinkled on dry rub, seemingly cayenne and paprika. I ordered breast quarters at all of them...and the breast seemed dry or overcooked at all of them..though not bad. (I'd guess it was previously frozen.)

Interesting local specialty...but , to me, mainly a novelty. As I said there is much better fried chicken and sides to be had in Nashville.

Glad we went, though.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » April 15th, 2018, 12:57 pm

When I was in Nashville for the total eclipse last summer, here's where we went:

ARNOLD'S COUNTRY KITCHEN: A James Beard "Classic" award winner. The famous Nashville "meat & 3" was tasty, inexpensive, and fun to try. Now that I've checked that box, I probably won't go out of my way again, but I can see why locals like it.

THE CATBIRD SEAT: Arguably one of the best restaurants in the US. Only chef's counter seating, for which you have to buy tickets well in advance (4 months in our case, but one of us had met the chef in Philly, so we were able to book this in advance of the online rush). Good wine pairings. This was one of our best meals of the year. Sort of like a more casual Brooklyn Fare. If fact, I might even prefer it to Brooklyn Fare (not to mention it is much less expensive).

HATTIE B'S: We waited for 2 1/2 hours on a 90-degree weekend day lol (second longest wait for food in my life, after Pizzeria Beddia in Philly). I would say the chicken and sides were pretty decent, but the mild and medium we ordered were disappointingly mild. I was too scared to order the hot because of the reviews, but that was a mistake. It was the day before the eclipse (which we spent in Hopkinsville KY, the exact perfect spot!), and I was worried about missing it because I was in the bathroom lol. Fun to try, but again I probably wouldn't ever go again, even if I didn't have to wait in line. It's hard to live up to all the hype (and frankly, it was a pale comparison to Top Chef Kevin Sbraga's scorching hot version in Philly).

HUSK: Excellent. Many say they think this location is better than the original in Charlestown (Sean Brock lives in Nashville).

JOSEPHINE: Excellent. We had a 90's vintage Beaujolais off their list.

ROLF & DAUGHTERS: Excellent pasta, etc., and interesting wines (I think we had a Movia). But they severely over-booked and we ended up waiting a long time for them to seat us for our reservation, which I wouldn't put up with again

MARTIN'S BBQ: Several locations; we went to the one near the Omni Nashville Downtown where we were staying (very good hotel) for several meals. Pretty good bbq (the brisket sandwich was my fav over the wings and ribs). Tip: Skip the long line (you wait in line to order and then grab a table) and head right to the bar where you can still order your food without the line

Nashville has an excellent food scene, and I would love to go back!
Cheers,
/<evin

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by SeanHarding » April 15th, 2018, 7:25 pm

Regarding hot chicken heat levels... I'm pretty into spicy foods. When I worked in Nashville, I ate the top level ("shut the cluck up") from Hattie B's and I was able to eat it, but my stomach definitely made me regret it shortly thereafter. Prince's is probably hotter, but I wouldn't underestimate Hattie B's unless you're really into spicy stuff. However, I don't remember "medium" being spicy at all. It's been a couple of years, but usually I'd go for hot or damn hot depending on my mood. And while I like it a lot, I won't wait in long lines for it. When Iw as working there regularly, my usual hotel ways a couple of blocks from one of the locations, so I'd just go over there if it was slow.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by AlexS » May 6th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Dined at a few places in Nashville last week:

City Winery: Met up w/Adam Landa and other WBers for a fun night of wine, food & hockey. Adam reserved the back room, which had a huge table and large screen TV. He also took me on a quick facility tour, quite the space with an awesome concert hall (would love to see a show there). Food was simple and quite tasty, had a margarita flatbread pizza that was delicious, decent charcuterie plate as well and killer Brussels sprouts. My main was half a rotisserie half-chicken which was quickly deep fried, delicious (except for the ancho sauce underneath...which was fine but apparently I'm just not a fan of ancho, period). I would absolutely recommend City Winery as a great place for a casual-nice meal and definitely to see a concert

Little Octopus: My sister was in town and after asking the locals for a spot with a decent vegetarian menu, Little Octopus was mentioned many times over. Somewhat Spanish themed, the menu has plenty of small plates for sharing along with larger options as well. Lucky for me, my sister has started eating meat again and basically decided we should order a little bit of everything. Started with the hamachi dish, which rested on avocado-citrus puree and had a delicious pineapple relish full of goodies on top of it. Next was the chicory salad, which had the most incredible shiitaki bacon. The beet salad was very nice, although I wished the beets had been cut slightly smaller. The only miss was a hen of woods mushroom dish, which was over salted (yet still quite tasty, just hard to take more than a couple bites). For our main, we chose the whole fish option, which was a fried red snapper that was kind of like a Thai dish with Spanish flavors. It was absolutely phenomenal. Last, we had the cornbread...OMG, it was amazing. Topped with lime preserves, I've never had anything quite like it...each bite was a delicious combo of crunchy exterior with delicate interior all buoyed by the lime preserves. YUM. Should also add they have an amazing selection of rosés, I had a glass of Zweigelt rosé that just killed it. We chose a bottle of $60 Tempranillo from a producer I'd never heard of to go with dinner, was perfect with the meal.

Kayne Prime: After a long conference, I wanted to take our account manager out for steak as a way to end a very successful CBC. Luckily, one of my new friends from the wine night was able to get us into Kayne Prime at the vip bar, which featured 8 seats with a personal bartender who curated his own beverages. And let me just say this, even though we were drinking wine, that dude could make a killer drink. Highs: bone marrow appetizer (best I'ver ever had), Caesar salad (again, best I've ever had), Brussels sprouts were great, as was the cold water lobster tail I had next to my steak (perfectly cooked). Most importantly, we ordered 4 ounces of A5 Mishima beef, which was seared in front of us...OMG, best beef I've ever had -- can still taste it! Lows: Oddly enough, my grassfed wagyu strip steak was pretty good but nothing to write home about...although perfectly cooked and flavorful, the meat was pretty tough and came out precut, which I'm never a fan of (especially because of how quickly the meat cools off). I should have trusted my gut and gone with the bone-in tenderloin...oh well, c'est la vie. They were also out of the first 2 wines I ordered off the list, which was a minor annoyance but mainly because it took a while for the staff to realize. Either way, we had a fantastic time with great company at the vip bar and the service was fantastic. I would certainly go back anytime.

Edit to add: At the airport on the way home I stopped at Tennessee Tavern, which looked pretty crappy...typically crappy, even -- which provided a degree of comfort. But I needed some food and it seemed far more trustworthy than a NY Deli-themed restaurant in TN (really??). So anyway, after self seating myself, instead of getting a bland, surefire failsafe like a turkey sandwich, I went outside the well-established traveling comfort zone and ordered a pulled pork sandwich...apparently, the bbq was Neelys (Food Network??). Anyway, it was really effing tasty! The fries and coleslaw sucked, but the pulled pork and sauce were both pretty danged delicious, memorable even!! Far better than the other crap food I've recently dined on at airport restaurants (of recent note, Cat Cora's ATL was just plain gross...made me sick).

Nashville is a fun town! I can't to head back for a vacation and also to check out some guitar shops, which was the one thing I wanted to do but couldn't find the time for :(
s t e w @ r t

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Nashville and Surrounding area Eats?????

#64 Post by Sh@n A » June 5th, 2019, 6:15 am

Quick Nashville trip report (June 2019)

Josephine: Excellent and right next to Jeni's ice cream. Not overly loud inside either. Would return. Pork chop was excellent. Lettuce salad was excellent. Fried rice was excellent. Service was excellent. Not a fancy schmancy place, but everything was spot on. And afterwards pop over to Jeni for some ice cream.

Butcher & and the Bee: Great ingredients again. A change from most Nashville with significant spice and interesting flavors in the food. Very good, but unlikely to return to. The crispy quinoa dish is great... I would have definitely put some thicken and a sunny-side egg on top of it if it was my choice. Friendly service, a bit more casual than Josephine and 5th & Taylor.

5th & Taylor: Very loud inside, and so we ate out side on their informal patio. Was very good as well, although not as good as Josephine. The the bacon wrapped pigeon & dates was excellent, and so was the asparagus and other salads. More likely to return here than Butcher & the Bee, but not on the same level as Josephine.

Sutler: Oops... college food. Was quick on the way to Nashville Zoo.. and no good.

Nashville Farmers Market: Didn't eat here, but seems like a fun fast-dining spot if you are able to buy some produce/take it back.
/ @ g r @ \

#65 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » June 5th, 2019, 9:10 am

No "hot chicken"?

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Sh@n A » June 5th, 2019, 10:48 am

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 9:10 am
No "hot chicken"?
I'm gluten free...

Forgot to mention I did visit Martins for lunch. Am confused why someone would wait an hour to eat there. The ribs were good. but the sides were meh. The baked beans were a bit dry and sweet/cloying. the broccoli was nice (but basically candied broccoli cole slaw). I thought it was fine, but not a place I would seek out to return to. The portions were large, so maybe that appeals. That's just me...
/ @ g r @ \

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by John Davis » June 5th, 2019, 11:20 am

We like Martin’s a bit more than Sh@n A. But agreed, wouldn’t wait in line. Well, wouldn’t wait in line unless my wife, who loves bbq, told me I was waiting in line....
ITB

adam landa
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by adam landa » June 5th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Were you guys at downtown Martin's? Definitely a hot spot for tourists...new location on Elliston is solid. Peg Leg another great spot for BBQ.

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Sh@n A » June 5th, 2019, 12:49 pm

adam landa wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 12:45 pm
Were you guys at downtown Martin's? Definitely a hot spot for tourists...new location on Elliston is solid. Peg Leg another great spot for BBQ.
Yes, downtown Martins next to a couple hotels.
/ @ g r @ \

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Siun o'Connell » June 5th, 2019, 5:05 pm

The only reason I miss my last job was that I'd go to Nashville a few times a year and always ate at the Red Pony in Franklin. Such a wonderful spot - great hospitality, great food and quite nice wine list.

adam landa
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by adam landa » June 5th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 12:49 pm
adam landa wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 12:45 pm
Yes, downtown Martins next to a couple hotels.
That one near The Omni is a prime location and a great environment for BBQ...you should see it this week during CMAFest!...prints $$$.

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by SeanHarding » June 5th, 2019, 8:15 pm

It’s funny, I’ve been going to Nashville for 11 years, and lived there for a while, but I’ve never been to Martin’s. In fact, I’m struggling to remember any true BBQ place I’ve been to there? I think we might have done Rippy’s on our very first trip... Am I going to get banned?

Red Pony and Josephine are both great (though quite different).

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » June 5th, 2019, 9:44 pm

The trick at Martin's is to skip the line and go right to the bar, where you can order food with your drink.

It's decent enough BBQ, but I wouldn't wait in that line.
Cheers,
/<evin

#74 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » June 6th, 2019, 10:34 am

I really enjoyed my family style (with strangers at a large table) southern cuisine at Monell's. By far the best fried chicken I ate in Nashville...and I visited three of the famous "hot chicken" places.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”