Nashville and Surrounding area Eats?????

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Larry Kaplan

#1 Post by Larry Kaplan » March 6th, 2015, 9:23 am

I will be in Nashville March 13-15th. I am hoping the assembled board can offer some excellent suggestions on places where we should eat! Wine is not the focus the food and experience is. Also fine dining is not the quest but getting a real feel of the area and any gems that are there. thanks in Advance for the help
The Wine Cellar

ODERINT DUM METUANT
The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits. A.Einstein

Mel Hill

#2 Post by Mel Hill » March 6th, 2015, 9:28 am

lots of places in 12 South
http://nashvilleguru.com/neighborhoods/12-south

also, there is a pop up on the Saturday you are there
http://www.popnashville.com/calender/20 ... nner-party
Last edited by Mel Hill on March 6th, 2015, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Jay $$ Winton » March 6th, 2015, 9:46 am

Etch. Great food, decent list and they are fine with corkage. Then hit Roberts for some music.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by John Davis » March 6th, 2015, 11:26 am

Cat Bird Seat, City House and Adele's (pretty much in that order) in the last year were places I'd definitely return.

JD
ITB

Bill Tex Landreth

#5 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » March 6th, 2015, 1:48 pm

Hot chicken at 400 Degrees or Hot Stuff.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

Jason Hagen

#6 Post by Jason Hagen » March 6th, 2015, 1:56 pm

City House
Husk
Etch
Rolf and Daughters

Pinewood Social for a drink.

Hattie B's for hot chicken.

In Franklin there is Cork and Cow and I enjoyed Gray's On Main the 1 time I was there.

I haven't been but I would assume Catbird is the top place in town.

Burger Up is good.

Jason

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by George Hejna » March 6th, 2015, 2:19 pm

Cat Bird Seat is excellent. Go there if you can get a reservation. They do allow corkage. $20 IIRC

George

Clayton Wai-Poi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Clayton Wai-Poi » March 6th, 2015, 2:25 pm

Loved Rolf and Daughters - excellent food, cocktails and interesting wine (dessert was just OK).

adam landa
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by adam landa » March 6th, 2015, 3:52 pm

Larry...My thoughts on a few of the suggestions and a few more:

City House - Checks the box for food and experience.
Etch - Good food, but I personally find the environment nothing special.
Catbird Seat - Haven't been, but I'm not a "foodie."
Husk - Nothing special; again, just my opinion.
Rolf and Daughters - Have heard good things.
Lockeland Table - A personal favorite; great food and love the place.
Butchertown Hall - Just opened mid-February and folks are loving it.
Pinewood Social - Agree on above comment to come for a cocktail.
Moto/Kayne Prime/Virago/Saint Anejo (MStreet) - Grouping of restaurants; often good sometimes great; same can be said for the clientele

There are others...seems like we have 2-3 new restaurants opening weekly. 400 Degrees and Burger Up are good recs too.

Larry Kaplan

#10 Post by Larry Kaplan » March 6th, 2015, 3:57 pm

I need to be a little more informative. My wife and daughter (11) will be with me. My daughter Eats very well everything from Sushi to BBQ to Mac and Cheese. So I am looking to show her and my wife regional favorites. Love the Hot chicken recommendation also had a friend say Arnolds. So if you think along those line that's what i am shooting for. It can Be anywhere we are going to be in Nashville, Franklin and at the Ford Ice Center. So let'em rip thanks for all the help so far.
The Wine Cellar

ODERINT DUM METUANT
The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits. A.Einstein

Gerard S

#11 Post by Gerard S » March 7th, 2015, 6:06 am

Martin's For BBQ. jack's downtown is also good if you want BBQ before going honky tonking

Prince's or Hattie B's for hot chicken

Swett's for classic southern meat and three (better than Arnold's and there is plenty of seating)

City house or mad platter in Germantown

Margot or lockland table in east Nashville

Flyte for downtown farm to table. Corkage friendly and a decent wine list. Ask for Scott or Will as your waiter

Kanye (pronounced Cain) for steaks

The biscuit house or the loveless for breakfast. I grew up on a farm near the loveless, it's become a little too touristy, but the food still rocks.

Midtown cafe is excellent as is table 3- both have more of a bistro type feel.

Grey's and red pony are the best in downtown franklin.
G E R A R D
S T R A N C H

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by SeanHarding » March 9th, 2015, 9:43 am

Until recently I was working for a Nashville company so I was splitting time between there and OC. Lots of good eats, though I was usually dining solo which altered my choices a bit. I'll add another +1 for Rolf and Daughters and City House. Loveless is indeed touristy and the waits can be ridiculous, but it's worth doing. Tavern (also owned by MStreet, like Kayne Prime, Virago, etc.) has my favorite burger in the world -- I always add white cheddar and green chile. I drink beer there, not wine. Patterson House is fun for cocktails more than food. I like the cocktails at the bar at Merchant's on Broadway too, and the food is pretty good. I ended up eating at the bar at the Hermitage Hotel quite a bit too.

John Liotta

#13 Post by John Liotta » March 9th, 2015, 12:38 pm

No way you'll be able to get into Catbird on this short of notice unless there is a cancelation.
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

Will F

#14 Post by Will F » March 9th, 2015, 1:00 pm

Try Porter Road Butcher West location for breakfast or lunch, its a great spot and amazing food and meats.
Will Ferring

Larry Kaplan

#15 Post by Larry Kaplan » March 16th, 2015, 9:20 am

Thank you all for the great suggestions. We have returned from a fantastic trip to Nashville/Franklin and here is the report: Got in late late late Friday Night (heavy rains) so no meal as planned. Saturday we had an appointment at 8am in Franklin so not much we could do. Lunch however was at Monell's in German town. Awesome family style meal with an ever changing menu (changed during our meal as they ran out of something) I think this is what they call a meat and 3 place? it was great. the town was packed and jumping since the SEC championships were there this explains the lack of room and the high prices! We had to so a mid afternoon meal or preeveing meal was at Hattie B great as well pretty straight froward. Late supper was at Russ and Daughters this was perfect and great food (thanks for all the thumbs up on this you were all right on the money). Breakfast at The Biscuit House It was local and fine the food was good no raves but serviceable. We were hoping to stay for Lunch but needed to get so that ended the tour. Thanks again!
The Wine Cellar

ODERINT DUM METUANT

John Liotta

#16 Post by John Liotta » March 16th, 2015, 3:39 pm

If you want biscuits in Nashville, check out Biscuit Love.
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

John Draper

#17 Post by John Draper » March 30th, 2015, 2:43 pm

The Catbird Seat definitely lived up to their lofty status. Great meal there last Friday night preceeded by a cocktail at The Patterson House. I also heeded the advice of the chefs at The Catbird Seat and grabbed a cheeseburger and wings at Pat Martin's on Saturday. Yes, the Catbird Seat chefs swear by a cheeseburger from a BBQ joint and, I gotta say, it was damn good burger.
liberstein

John Webber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by John Webber » May 20th, 2015, 2:51 pm

Okay, like an idiot, I booked our 1st trip to Nashville during a large country music festival. Thankfully though, restaurant reservations have not been a problem.

So far, I have dinners booked at Catbird, City House, and Rolf and Daughters. Saturday brunch at Josephine.

We are staying on Belmont Blvd near 12 South. Is Uber and/or taxi an option during the festival or should we get a rental car? If rental car, what is parking like?

I will definitely hit a hot chicken place and probably one of the meat and 3s for lunch. Any other can't miss for lunch? I'm leaning towards Porter Road Butcher West.

As far as my dinner choices, should I replace any of them with Sinema or another place?

Must sees?

Best wine shop(s)?

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by George Hejna » May 21st, 2015, 10:59 am

Nashville has Uber Black, SUV and regular Uber. I have never had an issue getting a car anywhere downtown. I don't know if the country music festival will push them in to surge pricing, I would just watch out for that but I think you will be fine.

Had a very good meal at Silo a few weeks ago. $20 corkage which was nice. Good wine service. I would also suggest http://www.wineshoppegreenhills.com/ for wines. Very well chosen selection of Burgundy including some big name GC. Prices are very reasonable.

George

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Chris Blum » May 21st, 2015, 11:22 am

I've wanted to try Hattie B's Hot Chicken for a while.
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

adam landa
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by adam landa » May 21st, 2015, 2:12 pm

I will post it once again...400 Degrees for all your hot chicken needs.

John Webber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by John Webber » May 21st, 2015, 6:44 pm

adam landa wrote:I will post it once again...400 Degrees for all your hot chicken needs.

Even closer than Hattie B's to our airbnb. Maybe I should try both...

adam landa
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by adam landa » May 21st, 2015, 8:26 pm

John Webber wrote:
adam landa wrote:I will post it once again...400 Degrees for all your hot chicken needs.

Even closer than Hattie B's to our airbnb. Maybe I should try both...
John...Just know that it is cash only and allow plenty of time as she is meticulous. They open at 11am.

Jason Hagen

#24 Post by Jason Hagen » May 22nd, 2015, 8:05 am

I like 400 degrees but I was very impressed with Hattie B's. Doesn't have the vibe like Prince's or 400 degrees but the chicken was cooked better. But I haven't been to the new 400 degrees location.

Jason

adam landa
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by adam landa » May 22nd, 2015, 9:59 am

Jason...Been several years since 400 moved. Went to Hatties Midtown once and no desire to go back. Friend I was with tried to defend that we came on a bad day.

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by SeanHarding » May 23rd, 2015, 11:20 am

I like Hattie B's, but they do each have their own style so you have to find what you like best. For burgers, my personal favorite in Nashville is at Tavern (just around the corner from Hattie B's Midtown).

The downtown core during CMA Fest is out of control. I've never tried getting an Uber during the festival, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a challenge. I recommend staying away from Broadway and LP field if you can. Check online for street closures. Stuff that's further out from downtown shouldn't be too bad, though the touristy places like Loveless tend to be even busier than normal (so another thing to avoid). If I were you I'd rent a car (parking shouldn't be a big deal unless you go downtown), but I tend to have little patience for waiting around for a cab or Uber.

It sounds to me like you have great dinner choices lined up.

John Webber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by John Webber » June 2nd, 2015, 10:34 am

Catbird looks like it is going to be expensive. Are the wine pairings worthy?

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by John Davis » June 2nd, 2015, 10:38 am

John Webber wrote:Catbird looks like it is going to be expensive. Are the wine pairings worthy?
Yes, pretty good. Also took bubbles and a back up red or two but never opened the reds.

JD
ITB

b. c@stner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by b. c@stner » June 2nd, 2015, 10:40 am

Thought Jack's was pretty good on a recent visit. They were tearing that shoulder up right in front of me...
b 0 b

John Webber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by John Webber » June 2nd, 2015, 11:03 am

John Davis wrote:
John Webber wrote:Catbird looks like it is going to be expensive. Are the wine pairings worthy?
Yes, pretty good. Also took bubbles and a back up red or two but never opened the reds.

JD
Do you recall the corkage? A nice BYO champagne and a good red or white can be easily had for the $65 pp pairings fees and certainly more reliable in my experience (hello Alinea). Although I have enjoyed some pairings.

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by John Davis » June 2nd, 2015, 11:45 am

I hear ya about Alinea. I don't remember what the cost was, sorry. I'd call them anyway to ensure it still o.k. I don't remember thinking it was outrageous.

JD
ITB

John Webber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by John Webber » June 8th, 2015, 12:31 pm

Gerard S wrote:Martin's For BBQ.

Swett's for classic southern meat and three (better than Arnold's and there is plenty of seating)

1 slot left, Swett's or Martin's (a short walk from where we are staying)? I don't have a meat and 3 or BBQ joint on the roster. As such, one item will be missed this trip.

Gerard S

#33 Post by Gerard S » June 9th, 2015, 6:01 pm

I'd go with Martin's. Check out the pit near the bar where they always seem to have a whole hog smoking..... Enjoy!
G E R A R D
S T R A N C H

John Webber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by John Webber » June 16th, 2015, 1:26 pm

Reporting back...

400 Degrees- Location downtown has the charm of a Subway and good not fantastic chicken. It was so rich/heavy, that we cancelled plans to try another place.

Catbird Seat- This was an awesome meal. We ordered a reasonably priced St. Innocent Pinot Gris and never looked back. Two thumbs up for service and food.

Arnold's Meat & 3- We generally loved it. Get there at or before 11. 10:45 was perfect for us. Roast beef, mac n cheese, fried green tomatoes, and green beans were killer. Jalapeno cheese grits were good, but too salty. They were like someone asked what would happen if we cook grits in queso.

City House- This place is too loud, but it is a cool looking building. Everything is designed to share and that makes it easy on the wallet for 2. Their fried catfish was among the best I have had, but everything else lacked the wow factor. Decent list, however I noted the same wine I had at Catbird was $13 more here.

Martin's- OMG the house made smoked and fried bologna sandwich was incredible. It was one of the best items on the trip without a doubt. On the other hand, it was a bad day for pulled pork (bland) and dry rubbed spare ribs (dry, chewy).

Josephine- We went for brunch and have no complaints whatsoever. Poached eggs, country ham, red eye gravy, and a side of scrapple? YES!

For prosperity, Uber only surged a couple of times and was never an issue during the festival. In all cases Uber was significantly cheaper and easier than a cab (e.g., $17 vs $30 to airport). As far as location, Belmont was a great base of operations and I would recommend that neighborhood to anyone.

Robert Dentice

#35 Post by Robert Dentice » October 1st, 2015, 1:02 pm

Specific request - I need lunch options for Monday.

adam landa
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by adam landa » October 1st, 2015, 1:53 pm

Robert...Is this for a business lunch or gastro pleasure?

MandyC

#37 Post by MandyC » October 1st, 2015, 2:09 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:Specific request - I need lunch options for Monday.
Does the neighborhood matter?
-Mandy Click

Robert Dentice

#38 Post by Robert Dentice » October 1st, 2015, 3:21 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have a few hour break in between meetings. Leaning more toward Gastro pleasure.

As far as Neighborhoods I am open.

I went to Husk for lunch on my last visit and was not blown away. Also Barbecue is not really my thing.

Will F

#39 Post by Will F » October 1st, 2015, 3:40 pm

If you want a great sandwich, breakfast or lunch check out Porter Road Butcher West location. Its really good.
Will Ferring

adam landa
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by adam landa » October 1st, 2015, 5:52 pm

Robert...Look into Butchertown Hall.

Robert Dentice

#41 Post by Robert Dentice » October 1st, 2015, 6:20 pm

adam landa wrote:Robert...Look into Butchertown Hall.

Thanks. Looks great and it is open on Monday for lunch.

Robert Dentice

#42 Post by Robert Dentice » October 5th, 2015, 2:24 pm

Adam - Thanks. Had a really nice lunch at Butchertown. Very good looking space and high quality food.

adam landa
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by adam landa » October 5th, 2015, 8:24 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
Adam - Thanks. Had a really nice lunch at Butchertown. Very good looking space and high quality food.
Robert...Glad you enjoyed it. I was there last week and they've changed some of their sides. Now...for the big question...were you able to find a hotel room for under $200? A friend is coming to town in a couple weeks for the Titans-Dolphins game and is paying north of $350 for an Embassy Suites. Everything downtown was sold out or north of $500. He asked me if something was going on in town...nope, we just have a ton of people coming here for bachelor/ette parties and what not and an extreme shortage of rooms.

Where'd you go for dinner?

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by SeanHarding » October 5th, 2015, 8:46 pm

I thought the Omni would add enough room inventory to make things a little more reasonable!

Robert Dentice

#45 Post by Robert Dentice » October 6th, 2015, 4:47 am

adam landa wrote:
Robert Dentice wrote:
Robert...Glad you enjoyed it. I was there last week and they've changed some of their sides. Now...for the big question...were you able to find a hotel room for under $200? A friend is coming to town in a couple weeks for the Titans-Dolphins game and is paying north of $350 for an Embassy Suites. Everything downtown was sold out or north of $500. He asked me if something was going on in town...nope, we just have a ton of people coming here for bachelor/ette parties and what not and an extreme shortage of rooms.

Where'd you go for dinner?

I was in and out in one day. I did notice the flights have been full on both my recent trips. I do love that it is a really easy town to get an Uber. I really want to come back for a weekend, I guess I will have to plan ahead for the hotel room.

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by John Davis » February 1st, 2017, 8:08 am

Bump....

Spent a few days in Nashville last week and though I would report back. Our first night we went to Etch. We really enjoyed the meal. I had the pork belly app and the wife had the venison main and I had the lamb. They mix a lot of flavors on the plate and I suppose some might find that over-whelming or over the top. The service was outstanding; friendly and informed about the menu. Great place and in our top three favorites in the city along with Catbird Seat (more on that later) and Lockeland Table. We will definitely return. Great location for us as we were seeing The Last Waltz at The Ryman and everything was walkable. Corkage is $25.00 IIRC.

Martin's BBQ Joint. The wife loves, loves BBQ and we had a great lunch there. Again, very convenient to where we were staying. I had the pulled pork and she had the brisket and both were great.

Catbird Seat. We had a couple of hiccups here. For those that don't know, guests sit at a bar that surrounds the small open "kitchen". So, you get to see everything being prepared. There are several chefs who prepare and present the dishes. There is a beverage person, somm I suppose, and another server. So, it is an interesting concept and if you're into cooking, a fun place to eat. They have two seatings and we were at the first.

Our Uber driver's GPS took us to Husk. We called Catbird Seat and told them we would be late and why and they said that this has happened several times before. They told us to put in another address and the GPS would be correct. They might want to put something on the site or tell you when you make the ressie but whatever. So, they were visibly pissed when we were late and that's o.k., to a degree, but we got caught up with the rest of the diners.

The one issue we had was when my wife made the reservation she told them no uni. Zero. Full stop. She would skip the course and be fine with that. She spoke to a person and made it clear. Then she reminded them again when she confirmed (left a message on their machine). So it was a bit of surprised when the chef presented us with a course with uni. My wife just gave him a horrified look and he said, "Oh, you were the customer who said no uni". Now this was their fault. He took that course away and they basically subbed the same course with no uni which, again, was fine. But the chef presenting the course (head chef I believe) served this up with too much attitude; he was visibly upset. I don't know if he was mad at us or at himself for making what was clearly his mistake but it made for an uncomfortable few moments; indeed, an uncomfortable course.

So, we still love Catbird Seat but, we got the impression that they are a bit full of themselves. Other than the uni issue the meal was flawless, the remainder of the staff were excellent, even enjoyed the beverage (wine, beer & saki) pairings and we usually don't do pairings. But, since we were late, to speed things up, we just went with the pairings. We'll definitely go back but we won't rush back, either. Still one of our favorites but it isn't head and shoulders above our other favorites anymore.

JD
ITB

Jason Hagen

#47 Post by Jason Hagen » February 2nd, 2017, 7:59 am

Thanks for the write up. I happened to be in Nashville last week as well but didn't have much chance to enjoy great food. I had a brief break so I hit an old favorite, City House, and just sat a the pizza bar.

I still have not made it to Catbird. Sounds like it was terrific but not sure I would have been as gracious as you and your wife, considering their attitude.

Jason

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by John Davis » February 2nd, 2017, 8:41 am

Jason Hagen wrote:Thanks for the write up. I happened to be in Nashville last week as well but didn't have much chance to enjoy great food. I had a brief break so I hit an old favorite, City House, and just sat a the pizza bar.

I still have not made it to Catbird. Sounds like it was terrific but not sure I would have been as gracious as you and your wife, considering their attitude.

Jason
Love City House, too. Its been a while though. After being in retail for 29 years, my wife and I both likely have more patience than necessary. It wasn't until after dinner on the ride back to the hotel when my wife said, "did you notice the attitude"? Which of course I did. Not a deal breaker for a return its just there are a lot of choices in Nashville, sans 'tude.

JD
ITB

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by alan weinberg » February 2nd, 2017, 6:37 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:Hot chicken at 400 Degrees or Hot Stuff.
just to the left of 400 Degrees is a great Cajun place--ate there while waiting for my chicken! Second Hattie B's also.

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Jay Carroll » April 21st, 2017, 2:22 pm

Headed to Nashville for a wedding - have 2 days before the event Saturday. Have resy's at the Treehouse and 5th and Taylor. Anyone been?- Treehouse suggested by a board member and 5th and Taylor by a local.

Plan on Pinewood Social for a cocktail before dinner.

Also- curious on the hot chicken thing. Not a heat spice person- but figure I have to check it out. Hattie B's or Prince?

Thanks!
I am just a cowboy lonesome on the trail
Lord, I'm just thinking about a certain female

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”