Arterra Valentine's Dinner in SanDiego--really bad

My first meal there and it was one bad one.

First an unispired combo of fried oysters on bread and half shell oysters. I start to hate all those sliders. Way too much bread, too little inspiration. The raw ones had a decent one and one that tasted like dirty sand and algaes.

2nd was a scallop that not only was basic it was sloshing in a very salty broth.

3rd a chicken cooked “sous vide”, and of course was cooked as such since everyone seems to do it, yet it’s the same boiled chicken. But wait, it was infused with black truffles so it has to be good. Except the truffles were semi dry, the cooking did not provide enough heat and they were like slices of dry fruit, to the point that it stunk up the dish. Left 95% untouched.

The dessert was good, obviously a dedicated chef for those dishes.

All in all, a miserable dinner, the only upside was the MV Krug for $180 which was just about the only wine there not overpriced.

Not going back.

First visit and for Vday? Bold, and reckless, choice. Never leave Vday to the amateurs, go with the restaurants you know and love.

I’ve dined at restaurants a few times on Vday and I’ve never been impressed. Even when I knew the place and have otherwise had good experiences before or after, I’ve never had a Vday meal that measured up to their usual level. The only time I’ll go out on Vday is if I happen to be away from home.

John

Otto, it was much better when Carl Schroeder was exec. chef there, but he left two years ago for The Market. I risked eating there during the week last week. The restaurant was 50% full. Waiter brought us menus and then returned after 25 minutes, only AFTER I had to get up from the table and find him. I had the salad which was OK, and the restaurant-made sausage appetizer which was horrible, dry, and strangely seasoned. At least we got comped on two glasses of wine. I am never going back.

You are a very brave man to go out to dinner on St. V’s day, New Year’s Eve, or Mother’s Day. We had a great meal at home last night starting with a homemade chicken liver pate with 2006 Mer Soleil Chardonnay, then wild rice/dried cherry stuffed game hens with a reduced Riesling/honey glaze, some rappini sauteed with ginger, garlic and soy sauce accompanied by the 2007 Treana Viognier/Marsanne blend that you suggested in a previous thread, followed by a cheese course from Venissimo. BTW, the Treana went SOOOOOOOOOO well with the cheeses.

Looking forward to seeing you and Mel soon at the off line.

Allow ME to take the credit for the '07 Treana…Otto’s only had the '06. Loser.

It’s not who discoveres the wine that gets the credit, it’s who yelps about it the most! So you lose–I win. [gheyfight.gif]

Never a good idea to go out on Valentines Day…but, even with that being said…the food should still be good.

You should check out chowhound on this dinner. Someone else posted regarding the same unedible chicken sous vide with truffles. They complained about it and just got ignored. And BTW, when check came, they charged me $275 for the Krug, which was clearly listed at $180. Of course they changed it, but it was just more insult at the end of the dinner.

Michael, you’re absolutely right…I should know better, that’s why I always avoid “Restaurant Week” here in San Diego.

I am cringing as I read this. I have a stake in Arterra’s reputation. I’ve sold them quite a bit of wine.

Every time I’ve eaten at Arterra I’ve had fabulous meals and well paired wines. Perfect and flawless.

The problem is probably a line cook, but the sous chef should catch this.

I’m a tiny fly on the wall but can ask them about this. Maybe I can get some info. They’ve featured my wines at their Beard House dinners in New York twice,

Peter, Arterra used to be a great restaurant under Carl Schroeder’s management, but since he left about two years ago to run his own restaurant, The Market, Arterra has gone steadily downhill. They used to have a well thought wine by the glass list of predominantly CA wines. I believe that the problem is more than that of a line cook. They apparently have cut back staff. . .most SD restaurants are now running at 50-70% in comparison to previous years. Also, whomever is at the wheel is not doing their job in the over all management and food quality. They are sending out plates that just shouldn’t go out in a quality restaurant. They have the captive customers of the hotel guests, who aren’t going to complain very loudly, but are rapidly losing their local regulars like myself. Good luck in anything you can do with feedback for them.

That is why I fixed Flannery Hangers and Scallops for my little lady at home. Wine didn’t suck either.

we went to 1500 Ocean last year for V-day… pretty pricey but the food was really top notch.

Hangers for Vday? Didn’t spring for the “good stuff”??? Hope you both slept on the couch.

[rofl.gif]

(disclaimer: love the hangers. Tongue firmly in cheek for this entire post)

ahhhh I see the problem now. It was dinner for 5 and not just the 2 of you…

dry white toast for the kids out in the garage would work, then Flannery for you and Rebecca…

blue boxes? [imnewhere.gif] Or you were talking about little blue pills? [rofl.gif]

[notworthy.gif] [notworthy.gif] [notworthy.gif] [notworthy.gif] [notworthy.gif]