25 minute salmon recipe

King salmon season is upon us and board member Jbray scored some Yukutat River King, so I thought I’d post this:

Cut salmon in individual portions and seal in a zip lock with some sesame seeds and a tablespoon of really good soy sauce. Cook in water at 50℃ for 20 min. While that’s happening, boil chicken stock and add clams and buckwheat noodles, when done add miso paste. Combine.Garnish with green onions.
tmp_19045-IMAG3817_1-811548269.jpg

yummmmmmmmmmmmmmy

Well done.
Nice pic.
I’m going to do this soon.

Sounds great, I’m going to try tonight. Roughly how much miso paste? Any other tips? Thanks.

I’d go for a scant tablespoon per person and put it in the serving bowl. then you’ll add a bit of the liquid to “bloom” the paste. It’s alive so you don’t want to kill the healthy stuff by pouring a bunch of boiling liquid on it. stir that in well, then add you clams, the rest of the broth, the salmon, then the onions from a decent height. You could also garnish with sesame seeds or cut the green onions in strips and curl them with a knife, similar to ribbon for wrapping a present.

If you haven’t done Sous Vide before, here’s a good prep article: Cook Your Meat in a Beer Cooler: The World's Best (and Cheapest) Sous Vide Hack

Do you have access to a really good soy sauce? this is a favorite of mine but obviously, not going to work for tonight: http://www.amazon.com/Shiboritate-Nama-Soy-Sauce-17-6/dp/B0051IZLDM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1425658329&sr=8-6&keywords=nama+soy+sauce

Let me know how it goes!

Thanks Paul. Really looking forward to this.

How did it go?

Great, simple clean favors. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Thanks for sharing. I made it as an appetizer for Wine Friday with our neighbors. I already had Brined BGE chickens planned for the main dish. Everyone commented that the salmon easily can stand alone.

image.jpg
We had a good wine night too.

fantastic! I’m so glad to hear. That texture might not be for everyone but I like it. You can even try down to 43C as well. If you haven’t seen this reference chart, I recommend it.

def gonna make it soon. I’m thinking of doing a shiitake dashi broth with it instead

should work just fine. let me know how it goes.

Do you boil the clams with the soba noodles for the duration the noodle cooking time?

for ease yes, cuz they should both only take 2-3 minutes but technically, you should do them separately, not just because of potentially different cooking times but because some of the noodle starch will bleed into the broth. I have a 3.5 year old and 30 minutes to make dinner so idgaf. Of the two, the clam broth is the valuable one you’ll need for the dish.

First of the wild Alaska King salmon yesterday and I sous vide at 53 deg. for 20 minutes - quick sear in a really hot pan to crust the Mangonero spice rub. Perfection (for me) :slight_smile: Also sv some day boat halibut for the non-salmon loving family members and it was good also, but not as good.

nice! have you tried 50C and prefer 53C?

interesting take to pair chicken stock with seafood, would this take away some of the fishy-ness?
i’d probably also recommend a tad bit (one or two slices) of ginger and some sake in the broth to balance it out.

That all sounds reasonable if they are on hand.

Paul, I did - my family prefers it closer to medium than medium rare.

I made this last Friday. The fish was one of the best pieces of Salmon I have had in a very long time. I cooked mine at 130F (54C). Next time I would omit the clams, as they are expensive here, and reduce to a teaspoon of the miso. I added some ginger to the broth as I had some lying around from another recipe. Overall, a delicious entree that is also pretty easy. Will be making it again in the future.