New Espresso Machine

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
ybarselah

Re: New Espresso Machine

#151 Post by ybarselah » May 7th, 2019, 6:27 am

darren as a current and still satisfied breville owner, i cannot imagine the sheer nirvana of upgrading to a la marzocco. wow. use it in good health. i am curious. aside from the price, what turned you away from the GS3? which is my current dream
Yaacov (ITB)

Darren Leininger
GCC Member
GCC Member

#152 Post by Darren Leininger » May 7th, 2019, 11:28 am

ybarselah wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 6:27 am
darren as a current and still satisfied breville owner, i cannot imagine the sheer nirvana of upgrading to a la marzocco. wow. use it in good health. i am curious. aside from the price, what turned you away from the GS3? which is my current dream
So, in the end, it came down to practicality. I was actually prepared to buy a Slayer or GS3. Some guys buy fast cars, fast bikes or fast boats when they turn 50, I wanted a cool ass espresso machine. Fact is, that after test driving the GS3, it did not pull a better shot. Sure it has some cool features but none were so compelling that I couldn't do without them for the added fare. As I mentioned with the Slayer, the machines with the added features/variables tend to be finicky. In one example, the guru I was working with told how a minor pressure change on the Slayer resulted in necessary adjustments to water temp, grind and shot time to achieve the desired shot. "Unnecessary endless tinkering" is how he described it. In the end, I opted for simple but damn good, knowing that I'll get to nirvana with the Linea Mini and some experience. The relative cost was a bonus!
"Be Quick, Be Quiet, And Be On Time." - Clarence L "Kelly" Johnson

Sr-71 Master Mind

ybarselah

#153 Post by ybarselah » May 7th, 2019, 11:35 am

that all makes sense - to the extent any of this makes sense, lol. what's your grinder situation?
Yaacov (ITB)

Darren Leininger
GCC Member
GCC Member

#154 Post by Darren Leininger » May 7th, 2019, 12:19 pm

ybarselah wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 11:35 am
what's your grinder situation?
Mazzer Mini, flat steel burs, manual doser.

Sr-71 Master Mind

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#155 Post by JDavisRoby » May 7th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Do you intend to buy locally roasted espresso or ship it in?

I’m lucky to live in a town that has a great coffee roasters and can get solid fresh roasted as I don’t think there is any better way. One of our local roasters won the US Roasting Championship last year.

I’d love to have a espresso machine along these lines but the kitchen counter space wouldn’t allow for it. I also have about every way to make drip/pour over coffee so if I want a great shot of espresso I visited a few of the local shops.

Coffee was my first beverage love. Got about as deep into it as I am now with wine. Had stops with craft beer and bourbon in between but coffee is still what I go back to.
Joshu@

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#156 Post by Phil Smith » May 8th, 2019, 2:02 pm

Darren Leininger wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 11:28 am
ybarselah wrote:
So, in the end, it came down to practicality. I was actually prepared to buy a Slayer or GS3. Some guys buy fast cars, fast bikes or fast boats when they turn 50, I wanted a cool ass espresso machine. Fact is, that after test driving the GS3, it did not pull a better shot. Sure it has some cool features but none were so compelling that I couldn't do without them for the added fare. As I mentioned with the Slayer, the machines with the added features/variables tend to be finicky. In one example, the guru I was working with told how a minor pressure change on the Slayer resulted in necessary adjustments to water temp, grind and shot time to achieve the desired shot. "Unnecessary endless tinkering" is how he described it. In the end, I opted for simple but damn good, knowing that I'll get to nirvana with the Linea Mini and some experience. The relative cost was a bonus!
Were you able to plumb it in? I know they offer a separate kit for the Linea Mini but have heard it's a bit finicky.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#157 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 8th, 2019, 3:10 pm

Darren Leininger wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 12:19 pm
ybarselah wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 11:35 am
what's your grinder situation?
Mazzer Mini, flat steel burs, manual doser.
Love our Mazzer Mini. My husband can't do without it. He even packs the darn thing up and totes it to the NJ shore every year, just for drip coffee at the rental, which is something considering how NOT mini it actually is.

Darren Leininger
GCC Member
GCC Member

#158 Post by Darren Leininger » May 8th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Phil Smith wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 2:02 pm
Darren Leininger wrote:
ybarselah wrote:
Were you able to plumb it in? I know they offer a separate kit for the Linea Mini but have heard it's a bit finicky.
Not yet. Our city water sucks so I'm using bottled in the reservoir. I have looked into it and may someday plumb it in with a filter system, but for now it's easy enough to keep the reservoir filled.

Sr-71 Master Mind

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#159 Post by Kenny H » May 8th, 2019, 6:52 pm

Darren Leininger wrote:
ybarselah wrote:
Jealous but great info! I am a couple years out on this. Breville grinder and double boiler make good stuff, and just like bikes, I like to upgrade the whole shooting match at one time so I get the full effect. Can't wait!
H0eve!kamp

Evan Pontoriero

#160 Post by Evan Pontoriero » May 8th, 2019, 7:30 pm

Click to see spoiler:
Stumbled upon this in active topics. I bought and enjoy the Breville machine. Would like the double boiler version but oh well. Anyway, it made me think of my former business partner and ILM co-worker that started his own high end design firm focusing on coffee products. I haven't talked to him in years but here is his site. He was a big Alesssi fan as you can tell from some of the designs. The burr grinder is super cool. If you buy, tell him I sent you LOL.

https://craiglyn.com/product/hg-1/
Fogline Vineyards
Petaluma Gap

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”