Hot smoked salmon recipe

I’ve been making this pretty often and people seem to love it. It is super easy, but has great flavor. I first used this method when a had a piece of salmon that wouldn’t fit on my cedar plank.

Ingredients:
-a nice fatty piece of salmon
-a soaked cedar plank
-salmon rub (I use tom douglas’ rub with love. its brown sugar, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, rosemary, thyme.)
-olive oil

Drizzle the salmon with olive oil and apply a nice thin layer of the rub on it. Sometimes I add a little extra salt and some chile powder. I use a weber, but any charcoal grill will work. Pile the charcoal on one side of the bbq and let it burn down. When the coals are ready, put the cedar plank directly on top of the coals. Put the grate over the top. Place the salmon skin side down opposite the coals. Let the plank begin to catch fire, then put the lid on the grill and close the vents almost all the way. This should create a nice low heat while the wood smolders. Leave it in there until it is done.

Pulling this up from a while back, as I’m doing cedar plank salmon tonight, and I wonder if I should try this method instead, smoking it instead of ‘on the grill’

If you aren’t looking for crusty grilled exterior might work nicely.