An interview with The Tripe Marketing Board

Really: http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-81730579/

I grew up eating tripe and love it. Sage, celery, carrots and onions. We slaughter our own animals, cleaning tripe is probably the most time consuming part to clean and prepare. You have to wash very well then brine it then scald to peel it. Worth it though, especially from a young animal, it’s delicious and texturally interesting but you need to dice it, sautee it then simmer for hours. The stuff in the store is pre-peeled and just needs to be cubed and browned for a nice soup base. You could probably do it in onion soup. Another super tasty part that people miss out on is chicken gizzard. A pain to clean, but in a dirty risotto is amazing. Both texturally and for flavor. Make normal risotto Milanese and when you melt/cook the minced onions, add minced chicken gizzards like you’d add pancetta in a normal dirty risotto. I like to add the wine and saffron at the end instead of beginning, but before the cheese. Seems like a waste to add the saffron at the beginning.

Arnold puts it in Arroz Caldo pretty often. I’m tripe-neutral, I don’t seek it out but I don’t dislike it either. As innards go it’s not up there with liver, sweetbreads, gizzards and hearts. But it’s way above brains - one of the few foods I won’t eat.

Love tripe, but I’m not a fan of cleaning it, so I usually eat it out of the house. Manlin’s restaurant here in Chicago makes a pretty nice tripe stew in the Sicilian manner, but the Chinese and Mexicans are still first in my book. And I’m a huge fan of poultry gizzards (I put up confit duck gizzards twice a year)