Chanterelles.

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

Chanterelles.

#51 Post by Betty C » October 4th, 2017, 9:48 am

I've heard it said that morels thrive in areas that have burned. I suppose that's a small consolation for the devastation, and a promise of better things to come.

Back on topic: saw some chanterelles from Bulgaria at the market last night. Didn't look great though. Will hold out for a more local crop.
Ch00

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Chanterelles.

#52 Post by Rick Allen » October 25th, 2017, 8:39 am

My daughter gave me about 5 pounds of Chanterelles yesterday. After using some in risotto last night and eggs this morning, I still have about 3 pounds left. I'd like to use them in an appetizer in a couple of days. Does anyone have any ideas? TIA

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

Chanterelles.

#53 Post by Kris Patten » October 25th, 2017, 10:43 am

I like them diced, sauteed in butter and herbs then finished with a bit of PX sherry. Serve them with crackers and assorted meats and cheeses.
ITB

Paul Bacino

Chanterelles.

#54 Post by Paul Bacino » October 25th, 2017, 11:11 am

Rancho Gordo Bro " Steve" says they are great with his beans
from his news letter

"Are you seeing fresh chantrelles in the market? They're a natural with beans. They allow the beans to be beans and you don't lose an iota of mushroom majesty.

Wipe the mushrooms with a damp paper towel and cut into bite-sized pieces if they’re big. Sauté in both butter and olive oil (2:1) and lots of minced garlic. A thyme sprig would also be welcome.

You just want to cook for 8 to 10 minutes or so. Remove the thyme, if you used it, and ladle into a waiting bowl of creamy, white hot beans. Transition into autumn with ease."

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Chanterelles.

#55 Post by Rick Allen » October 26th, 2017, 7:05 am

I've decided to do a mushroom tart. I may have to add a few criminis but it should turn out very nice.

W. Leonard

Chanterelles.

#56 Post by W. Leonard » October 26th, 2017, 7:15 am

Really like doing a frittata with them as well but note that nearly every recipe will ask for too little, way too little olive oil
warren@weygandtwines.com

P. Willenberg

Chanterelles.

#57 Post by P. Willenberg » November 29th, 2017, 2:41 pm

One of my favorite uses of freshly foraged Chanterelles is Wiener Eierschwammerlgulasch. I've been chasing a recipe for this dish for over a decade since having it in Innsbruck. It is a Viennese Chanterelle Goulasch with Potatoes, Milk, Carrots, Cabbage, Onions, Hungarian Paprika, Caraway, Bay Leaf.

Note the High German word for Chanterelle is Pfifferling but the Austrian word is Eierschwammerl. (I believe this is correct, hopefully Gerhardt corrects me). And that's why I haven't been able to find a recipe. I was using the wrong German!
Attachments
IMG_20171128_183736_911.jpg
IMG_20171128_183736_911.jpg (15.76 KiB) Viewed 413 times
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Lee Short

Re: Chanterelles.

#58 Post by Lee Short » August 27th, 2019, 10:40 pm

Resurrecting this thread, because it was great. And chanterelles are definitely here already in both the coast range and the Cascades. Went out Sunday and came back with oodles.

Everyone knows that Tortilla Espanola is potatoes held together with eggs and onions. Tortilla a la Gallega is potatoes held together with eggs and chorizo, with a touch of pimento and onion. Tonight's dinner, if it needs a name, might be dubbed Tortilla Cascadia. It was sauteed chanterelles held together with eggs and butter. When finished, top with a dusting of grated reggiano and top notch evoo. Serve with Oregon chardonnay (in my case, Vincent 2016 Ribbon Ridge -- very fine).
Attachments
tortilla_cropped_rotated2.JPG

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#59 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » August 30th, 2019, 2:50 pm

Daaay-yum! That sounds great!
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » August 30th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Lee Short

#61 Post by Lee Short » September 1st, 2019, 11:48 am

I've never liked mushrooms pickled in vinegar. The vinegar just dominates the mushroom flavor. Maybe if I ate them within a couple of days of pickling, they would be fine. But then why bother to pickle?

I do really like this recipe for marinated mushrooms, though: https://honest-food.net/italian-marinat ... ms-recipe/ . It uses vinegar to poach the mushrooms, but they aren't canned in the stuff.

It works best with porcini, as he says, but also does well with excess chanterelles.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Kris Patten » September 2nd, 2019, 11:04 am

Lee Short wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 11:48 am
I've never liked mushrooms pickled in vinegar. The vinegar just dominates the mushroom flavor. Maybe if I ate them within a couple of days of pickling, they would be fine. But then why bother to pickle?

I do really like this recipe for marinated mushrooms, though: https://honest-food.net/italian-marinat ... ms-recipe/ . It uses vinegar to poach the mushrooms, but they aren't canned in the stuff.

It works best with porcini, as he says, but also does well with excess chanterelles.
Thanks Lee, going to give this a go.
ITB

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”