NYC Sushi

If you had to pick from one of 15 East, Sushi Dojo, or Jewel Bako, which would you pick?

Thanks in advance…

Jewel Bako

I haven’t been to the other two, but I absolutely love 15 East. That being said, I would only eat there if I was guaranteed a seat at the (very small) sushi bar.

15 East, but I like Neta better.

Still after Nick and Jimmy left? Before I would have totally agreed.

I had expected the quality of Neta to slowly deteriorate when Nick and Jimmy left, but it is only a notch below what it was. Had an outstanding meal there a few days ago. I miss my interactions with them, especially Jimmy, and the vibe in the restaurant isn’t as good as it was, but it is still by far my most frequently visited sushi place. However, that will likely change when Shuko opens in a few months.

15 East but only if sitting in front of head chef.

Thanks for the feedback. I stopped going after they left. Jimmy was the best, I always sat in front of him. And agreed re Shuko opening. Otherwise from the original post, I like 15 East the best, though for straight up sushi I love Yasuda. Nakazawa is great if you sit at the bar.

Yea, Nakazawa is booked for my date. Last time I was at Yasuda I was thoroughly unimpressed relative to when Yasuda was still the owner or head or whatever.

Thanks all for the advice…but I’m going to be one of those people that asks and doesn’t listen: settled on Kura.

It would be a toss up between Jewel Bako and 15 East thought I am a huge Jack Lamb fan and would probably pick Jewel Bako.

Also check out NY Sushi Ko (former 15 East chef) and Sushi Kura a hidden gem.

Corkage, yes, $20 fee

MOMOYA, Upperwest Side, 427 Amserdam Ave bet West 80 & 81st Streets
also in Chelsea
http://momoyanyc.com/upper_west.php

Have only been to 15 East of the three, thought it fantastic! Was fortunate to sit in front of the Sushi Chef and received outstanding service. Would go back in a heartbeat!

I have had great meals and service at 15 east. and great meals at jewel bako.

15 East, among that list, but those names aren’t near the very top sushi places in NYC. Last time I ate at Jewel Bako I got sick just after…

I’d put Ichimura #1 unless we’re talking Sushi Nakazawa or Masa, a whole different level and price point.

I’ll salmi at always take Wilfrid’s advice…but food poisoning takes several hours to manifest most of the time (I think, maybe the pros could weigh in).

I go to JB with a FOH and it’s fabulous.

Hi Barry, I didn’t mean like minutes…(my friend who went with me also got sick). Who knows; let’s just say I won’t be going back.

Kura turned out to be a good choice. I always like the East Village and the restaurant is a block off Tompkins Sq Park looking like a genuine restaurant in Japan with only its noren to signify its existence. Inside was maybe 10-12 seats at the bar and 1 4 top table, 2 sushi chefs, and classic jazz.

You can pick half sushi / half cooked dishes or all sushi, at 3 price points. Chose all sushi at the most expensive $100 menu. Supposedly received 14 pieces, a small amuse bouche, small sashimi plate, and sorbet/ice cream for dessert but left totally full.

Highlights were sweet uni, a delectable piece of awabi, a maki of little whole sweet shrimp, some pressed mackerel where the chef torches the skin with a propane torch, some excellent salmon, good clams, good scallop, an excellent hand-rolled chu-toro maki with warm and crispy nori, and a toothsome but tender squid body stuffed with rice. A few pieces were marred somewhat with too much wasabi or a soy sauce glaze the chef applied that was a little too sweet and the o-toro was not the best. But other than those little quibbles, the meal was very good and very reasonably priced.

So glad you tried and liked Kura. I live two blocks away and was just there last Friday. They also allow corkage for $30 when combined with the quality/price ratio of the food is a great deal in NYC.

Went to Shuko for their soft opening last week. While there were a couple of courses that I’ve had at Neta, most of them were new and inventive. Of course the sushi is still of the highest quality. Will probably be a tough reservation since there are only 20 seats at the bar, one four top and two two tops. Vibe is still the same with hip hop music playing in the background. Already looking forward to my next visit.

thanks for the update on shuko ray
will be checking it out in next couple of weeks