Jeni's Ice Cream? $80 a gallon good???

I was in line at the supermarket this morning and saw a large display of some interesting flavors of ice cream from this company:

MARKED DOWN to $10 a pint from $12 a pint. Is it that good???

very good stuff, but not better than Graeter’s and a few others.

Roberto, Jeni’s is based here in Columbus. It is wildly popular here and gowning in popularity as it expands to markets elsewhere. She even has vending machines of it at the airport. Her flavors are very unique and the product is of high quality but whether or not it is a value is up to the individual. In my freezer now are pints of Dark Chocolate, Brambleberry Crisp, Passionfruit Frozen Yogurt, and the new Cantaloupe & Sun Tea Sorbet. I try not to ponder the QPR aspects and just think of it as a guilty pleasure.

I’m not a fan of Graeter’s but that is a semi-local favorite too (originated in Cincy, I believe).

The funny thing was that they had it next to 2 gallon tubs of store brand stuff for $8.99.

Maybe they were challenging the hipster foodies to differentiate themselves from those who buy the tubs?

i don’t know about $10 a pint, but i would pay $8 for that Chocolate Hazelnut Ice Cream Sandwich.

Jeni Jeni, who can I turn to?

They had this at Whole Foods. I wasn’t impressed and wouldn’t buy it again. And I’m a huge fan of hazelnuts. The cookies just weren’t good.

Not even the raspberry chip?

good info - thanks!

Yes, Cincinnati original! Brings back memories of a quarter century ago.

Has anyone ever priced up making ice cream with finest quality ingredients at home, it’s terribly expensive but goooood.

Yes, there is no money saved by making ice cream at home. All those free range egg yolks alone…

Just on the ice cream price thing-
Capture b.JPG
Local store here. So when it is not on sale it is 5,99 for 500ml, or €12 per liter-

1 Euro per liter =
5.13824225 U.S. dollars per US gallon

$61.66 per gallon.

Such a deal!

Good quality cream, vanilla pods, but the results rock.

I enjoyed buffalo ice cream in Mumbai last weekend, made on the premises as a family run place, very rich and strong saffron flavour, all for around 75 cents a portion (served in slices between wafers).

We pay $2.49 most of the time for the Ben & Jerry’s so that’s 1/4 what they are asking for the Jeni’s.

We’re fond of the Graeter’s chocolate chocolate chip

Jeni’s uses corn starch as an ingredient in a lot of their ice creams. I think it gives some an unappealing taffy-like texture and consistency that you don’t get in a custard base. Flavors are creative though and they definitely use good ingredients.

No bourbon in it or nothin?

I’ve had the salted caramel. Awesome sauce!

I don’t think she uses eggs in her ice cream. I’ve made her salted carmel and it was GREAT and egg free.
had a bit of cream cheese and maybe some corn starch IIRC
here’s a shot of the base pre-chilling
salted_carmel_9884.jpg
INGREDIENTS

2 cups whole milk
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) cream cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Pairs well with: Apple pie. Chocolate cake. Rhubarb Compote.

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/salty-caramel-ice-cream.print.html