Grand Cayman Restaurants

Heading to Grand Cayman in July and didn’t see any threads. From the little research I’ve done, it actually seems like there are some decent dining options. Wondering for those who have been, where they like to eat, any good wine lists, and any places that are corkage friendly. Appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Dan,

It depends on where your staying. Near 7 mile beach. Luca & Ragazzi for Italian. Great local (and famous) Heritage Kitchen. High end NY Style Ostera Bay. Good place for coffee Pappermans. On the other side of the island is our favorite restaurant. Over The Edge. Great local food in a relaxed atmosphere right on the water.

Thanks, staying at the Ritz on 7 mile beach.

There’s a bunch of high end restaurants at the Ritz. Blue run by Eric Ripert is supposed to be one of the best on the island, but I’ve never been.

Ate here twice on honeymoon. Would go back for sure… http://brasseriecayman.com/… they let us bring our own bottle we traveled with (unusual as many restaurants on the island do not allow this).

There is a place at the Ritz called “Seven”… nice steaks for change of pace from all the seafood. Just be prepared for obscene wine prices (for example, $40 for a glass of Shafer merlot).

You can bring your own wine into the country. I always bring some with me.

We brought many bottles but found most restaurants would not allow us to bring them in. We didn’t dine at any place that denied us wine service (other than Seven). Brasserie allowed us to and we enjoyed it immensely, so we went back for a second go-around a few nights later.

We loved Luca. Great wine list and great wine service.

Blue is wonderful. It has almost European hours (closed Sunday Monday) or something like that. Some good Burg on the list which is almost exclusively white. The Sushi restaurant in the Ritz is also quite good.

If you head to the East end for more casual local fare try over the edge, Tukka or upstairs at Kaibo.

George

Bump on this thread as I am heading there at the end of the month. If there are any other recommendations (new or otherwise), please feel free to share.

Staying @ Ritz.

TIA,
Michael

You will have a great time! Loved Michael’s Genuine in the Camana Bay center. An offshoot of the Miami restaurant. The Brasserie was my favorite restaurant. Went there twice. Got a tour of their gardens onsite where they grow all of their vegetables. Great spot!

Thanks for the response Daniel. Looking forward to it.

M

Long time lurker here. Been to Cayman many times over past 25 years. Many good places already recommended. Would second the reco for Luca. We always go there for dinner one night and occasionally for the Sunday Brunch. Never been a fan of brunch but my daughter convinced us to go and it was pretty amazing. Major social event for the locals so it’s always packed and reservations are necessary. The owners also have a more casual restaurant down the road a bit called Ragazzi which is also excellent. Closer to Georgetown is La Dolce Vita on a second floor. Terrific Italian. Don’t miss Calypso Grill on Morgan’s Harbor–easy cab from town if you don’t have a car. Long time favorite of ours and many others. For casual lunch places try the Sunshine Grill for terrific burgers, fish tacos, etc. and a local place near West Bay called Alfresco. Lots of terrific food in Cayman. Wish we had a trip planned.

Jim

Hey bumping this. Anyone been recently and have good food recs? Heading there next Saturday for a few chill days.

I have been there the last two years in February, and posted wine/restaurant notes here. TNs from Cayman trip-mostly CA and ITA (& restaurant info) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

My highest recommendation is for Casanova’s. The Mama Rossa is a very special dish. Ragazzi’s is nice as well and very reasonably priced.

Please post your notes. I’m heading back this February.

I was there again 3 weeks ago for a short dive trip. Had a great meal (again) at Catch. They have a really good list although it is inexplicably heavy in CA cab. Half bottles of Krug for $100.

Did not like Ave in the Kimpton. Food was OK, service meh. Felt like a hotel restaurant in Cleveland (no offense Cleveland).

Luca was also very good. The Caribbean club was an excellent place to stay also BTW. Huge high end condos for about the price of a suite at the Ritz.

Drove out to the East end and had a nice lunch at Tukka also.

George

Thanks guys for the notes, much appreciated!

Also would throw out Rackam’s for good a lunch with a casual island feel. The Cracked Conch is a step up for a good lunch with a really beautiful setting, but it is near the turtle farm so the area can be crowded with tourists on certain days. You can hop in the water from either restaurant right from the dining deck for a snorkel/dive.

Was there in July for a week, Agua at Camana Bay was interesting. Also went to the usual spots, Luca-great Italian food, Ragazzi-seafood and pizza, Seven-steaks and Calypso Grill in West Bay. Luca and Ragazzi allow corkage. Blue at the Ritz is good, many a great meal there.