Need Help - Whole Prime Top Sirloin

Went to Costco and, among other things, picked up a 6.5lb Whole Prime Top sirloin. It was $4 a pound - I could not pass it up. Now I have to figure out what to do with it. Smoke it on the BGE? Just do a roast with potatoes and carrots? Please help with a good idea. When I bought it, I knew someone here would know how to cook it!

No smoke.

When you say ‘whole’ it should weigh considerably more than 6.5 lbs. Is this basically a large steak, or does it look like a big symmetrical roast.

It looks more like a flattish roast It is 9x8 inches and 4 inches thick at the center. Half of one side has a hard fat cap on it. It was costco, I had no choice but to buy it.

Understood. That would be waste trimming from the whole sub-primal.

I would get my longest, sharpest knife and cut it into two 2 inch thick steaks and remove all the fat cap.

Direct sear for four minutes per side over high heat and then indirect to medium rare. Slice to serve and find some friend.

Simple salting for seasoning IMO.

I would turn it into a nice chunk of Baltimore Pit Beef. Trim some of the fat if there is a lot, rub with a mixture of Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Cayenne Pepper and let it rest with the rub overnight ideally. Cook over a hot flame turning frequently to all sides until it is about 125 in the center. If it starts to get to charred, finish it on indirect heat. Let it rest, slice it thin, and serve on good rolls with sliced onion, horseradish and your choice of other toppings. Best if you have a meat slicer to get it sliced nice and thin. Traditionally not done with any smoke, but I have found that a small chunk of Apple, Cherry or Hickory never hurt- it’s a quick cook anyway.

Great ideas. Thanks.