Does anybody smoke burgers?

I had a smoked burger at a local BBQ joint that was quite good. Thought I might want to try it on the BGE. Would 250 degrees be unwise for ground beef? Maybe 350 would be better. Comments?

I think I would cold smoke the meat and then form the patty and grill or fry like a normal burger. If they smoked the patty I would be interested in the process.

We make patties, then turn the lazy-man electric smoker on at 150-175 for 30 minutes and let them sit.

Then onto the grill, two minutes per side.

Bada bing!

Haven’t done this, but my best guess would be 200-250 from 15 minutes up to an hour depending on how big the burgers are, how much smoke you like and how well done you want your burgers, and then open up both vents all the way and give them a quick sear on both sides. I may give this a try, and if so I will probably check the temp on the burger every 10 minutes until it hits 125 or so and then sear them.

These were smoked as patties but I don’t know the process. They were so uniform that they were obviously commercially made ground beef patties and I was skeptical just looking at them, if they would be any good but they were terrific. I would think a Flannery blend could make some awesome smoked burgers.

It could be done exactly the way I do Tri-Tip - get fire in side-firebox going, lay grate directly over the flames and sear patties 90-ish seconds each side. Move patties to main smoking chamber and close-down smoker. Patties would likely be up to temp in about 10 to 15 minutes. Should add plenty of smoke flavor.

BTW - this method cannot be beat with Tri-Tip. Hit it with a little rub and hour before, usually takes about 45 minutes to reach rare/medium-rare.

I think we need to have a get-together and explore some options.

Are you coming to Nashville again any time soon?

I’ll smoke burgers with any Berserker! I have done a similar process, searing on cast iron in the grill then lowering the temp an putting them on the grill to smoke for about 10min at low heat.

I don’t smoke burgers, as I find it hard to keep the end lit. Plus, rolling the burgers into a fattie is a PITA.

I should be back in mid June.

YES!!! So i’m not the only one who had this thought when he read the topic!

I hope there’s a lot of green in those burgers. You know, lettuce. For fiber.

We are legion.

I just throw a chunk of mesquite on the coals. No biggie.

FIFY!

champagne.gif

I have done it with flannery burgers.

I smoke on 225 and never finish them on high heat…more or less like baking them in smoke

I’ve started cold patties at 180 or so and let them smoke for 20-30 minutes. Then I sear them. It’s almost a sous vide process. I do this with steak a lot as well and it works great. I’ve gone the other way around, but I’ve found that searing first and then smoking overcooks the burger/steak.

I’m thinking of smoking some pasta…soon

It is absolutely possible to smoke burgers and I have done so repeatedly. You basically do exactly what you would do when smoking any other kind of meat.

The burgers will form a nice reddish-blackish crust with a bit of crunch which is very thin – be aware that there is a point where the smoke particles will no longer be able to permeate the meat or cling to the surface because of it so there’s little point in smoking them for hours on end like you would a beer can chicken/turkey, beef brisket, lamb roast, etc. Plus they are also very small individual items. I find that 1 hour is more than enough.

After that, if you like a traditional char crust on your burger, simply grill the now fully smoked burgers to your liking. Very hard to go back to a regular burger after you’ve tried smoking your own, I must say.