alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris

#401 Post by alan weinberg »

AndyK wrote: March 28th, 2022, 1:34 pm
Matt Fleming wrote: March 28th, 2022, 12:26 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 5:18 am

I'll be back in a couple of weeks and will also update.

As a note, I had a miserable experience at Le Bon Georges and a mixed one at Le Servan, leaning enough to the negative that I would not return, so YMMV.
Agreed, opinions vary about Le Bon Georges.
I've only been once, just before the pandemic. It was a nice meal and decent wine list (definitely not great compared to most other restaurants discussed hear, but I heard they improved it) and we had a great time. However, we decided to not go back on our most recent trip and did not regret that decision. Lots of great restaurants to choose from. It also felt that the crowd at Bon Georges was mostly expat/tourist, FWIW.
on my list for next week.

Alain M

#402 Post by Alain M »

FWIW, I don't think I've read a single good review of LBG in the French press. Tourist attraction is the description that comes up the most.
Then again, I've been to restaurants deemed for tourists in other countries and had a good experience. So who knows!

Alain
M ï c h € l

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#403 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

alan weinberg wrote: March 24th, 2022, 7:43 pm
Stan Y. wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 1:46 pm
alan weinberg wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 1:07 pm look at the wine list at Les Climats. . .
Wow, 139 € Raveneau Valmur...
exactly what I planned to hit.
Don't get your hopes up too high - this is what their online wine list says:

NB: The list of wines and prices communicated here are only indicative. They are brought to evolve according to the sales and the changes of vintages .

Let us know how it actually goes!
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

J. D Antonio

#404 Post by J. D Antonio »

Alain M wrote: March 31st, 2022, 7:50 am FWIW, I don't think I've read a single good review of LBG in the French press. Tourist attraction is the description that comes up the most.
Then again, I've been to restaurants deemed for tourists in other countries and had a good experience. So who knows!

Alain
I was at LBG last night and it was okay. Incredibly rushed at the beginning as I was going through the wine list (and I had a later seating). The food was average and underseasoned. They were happy to oblige with some fleur de sel. Service was fine also, but definitely improved when it was clear I wanted to order a bottle of something.

I probably won't return in the future, as I've had many other better meals here so far (A.T., Le Rigmarole, Les Enfants du Marche Rouge, La Bourse et la Vie, and others). Full update when I return, as typing on a tablet sucks.

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#405 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

J. D Antonio wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 10:58 am
Alain M wrote: March 31st, 2022, 7:50 am FWIW, I don't think I've read a single good review of LBG in the French press. Tourist attraction is the description that comes up the most.

Alain
I was at LBG last night and it was okay. Incredibly rushed at the beginning as I was going through the wine list (and I had a later seating). The food was average and underseasoned. They were happy to oblige with some fleur de sel. Service was fine also, but definitely improved when it was clear I wanted to order a bottle of something.

I probably won't return in the future, as I've had many other better meals here so far (A.T., Le Rigmarole, Les Enfants du Marche Rouge, La Bourse et la Vie, and others). Full update when I return, as typing on a tablet sucks.
I'll be at many of those you mention next week. I fear it may be raining the entire time, so all the more reason to linger over long meals.

Benjg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#406 Post by Benjg »

Had a quick lunch of grilled octopus with chimichurri and a red pepper sauce at Les Enfants du Marché this week with a couple glasses of white wine. Very tasty octopus, I loved the relaxed atmosphere and friendly conversation with the server. First time there thanks to rec’s on this thread, I will be back for sure!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B e n G @ t h

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#407 Post by alan weinberg »

Alain

we were there last night also. Food average. Atmosphere and wine great. Dauvissat Forest and Marc Roy Gevrey VV.

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#408 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Interesting. I hated the atmosphere - crowded, noisy, pushy, smelly, people's butts knocking over glasses on our table....

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#409 Post by alan weinberg »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 4:47 pm Interesting. I hated the atmosphere - crowded, noisy, pushy, smelly, people's butts knocking over glasses on our table....
table was in a nook well protected from Arnaud.

J. D Antonio

#410 Post by J. D Antonio »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 11:40 am

Alain

I'll be at many of those you mention next week. I fear it may be raining the entire time, so all the more reason to linger over long meals.
I'm not sure if there's any rain left after what I absorbed last week. I hope you have significantly better weather than I did. The weekend wasn't bad, though. Cold, but not bad.
futronic
J a y D ' A n t o n i o

J. D Antonio

#411 Post by J. D Antonio »

Benjg wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 2:48 pm Had a quick lunch of grilled octopus with chimichurri and a red pepper sauce at Les Enfants du Marché this week with a couple glasses of white wine. Very tasty octopus, I loved the relaxed atmosphere and friendly conversation with the server. First time there thanks to rec’s on this thread, I will be back for sure!
I had the same octopus dish and it was very tasty. The rack of lamb was excellent.
futronic
J a y D ' A n t o n i o

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#412 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

J. D Antonio wrote: April 4th, 2022, 11:03 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 11:40 am

I'm not sure if there's any rain left after what I absorbed last week. I hope you have significantly better weather than I did. The weekend wasn't bad, though. Cold, but not bad.
It looks like steady rain every day for me except perhaps one afternoon. That's okay - I don't care to sightsee and I won't melt.

Michel Abood

#413 Post by Michel Abood »

Benjg wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 2:48 pm Had a quick lunch of grilled octopus with chimichurri and a red pepper sauce at Les Enfants du Marché this week with a couple glasses of white wine. Very tasty octopus, I loved the relaxed atmosphere and friendly conversation with the server. First time there thanks to rec’s on this thread, I will be back for sure!
Good to know, I was curious how the food was with the new chef as we're going in July and my 7 year old son keeps asking to go here (and to Bistrot Paul Bert, their recent Instagram post with the mountain of frites made him go nuts). I haven't been back to Enfants du Marche since February 2020 so it'll be good to find out what the new guy can do.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#414 Post by Robert Dentice »

Michel Abood wrote: April 12th, 2022, 11:10 am
Good to know, I was curious how the food was with the new chef as we're going in July and my 7 year old son keeps asking to go here (and to Bistrot Paul Bert, their recent Instagram post with the mountain of frites made him go nuts). I haven't been back to Enfants du Marche since February 2020 so it'll be good to find out what the new guy can do.
I spent 48 crazy hours with Mika, the owner, in NYC this past weekend. Of course he is biased but he said he is very happy with the new chef and that his food is a bit lighter. Trying to get him to do something in NYC!
https://sourcematerialwine.com

ITB - source | material

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#415 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Just back from a quick 4 days in Paris. Here are some impressions:

Clown Bar - another good meal, though perhaps a bit more heavy-handed than my last meal there, which was a lot of the same dishes. Still, I quite enjoyed what I ate and would happily go back. It's good for a light meal or a lunch, but I think anyone looking for a larger dinner might do better elsewhere.

Les Enfants du Marche - stopped by for just one dish, and ended up with an enormous portion of rack of lamb, more than half of which I took back to my apartment. It was good, though I thought there were too many things going on on the plate - just personal preference. Meat was perfectly cooked. All the dishes around me looked very good as well. My first try at a glass of red was very mousy, but the second was clean and quaffable.

Septime - possibly the best meal I've ever had there, and many steps above the slightly off meal I had last time. The menu was a true delight, beautiful and delicious, and exciting to see them on form again in both the kitchen and the dining room.

David Toutain - superb meal. I loved every dish, the room, the service and the wine list. Fine dining at its most effortless and confident.

Restaurant Contraste - pretty much a train wreck of a meal, with problems in dish concept and execution, despite having just received a *. My main was some gorgeous lamb, but so over-salted as to be inedible. I sent it back, and was disappointed enough at that point that I asked them not to redo it, even though I was still hungry. They do have some good prices on champagne, though.

La Cagouille - back on track with a perfectly delightful meal, simple, delicious and exactly what I wanted after a disappointing night before. The list may not be what it once was, but there is still a lot to be appreciated.

Le Comptoir - I have such a soft spot for this restaurant, I was willing to overlook the fact that my veal main was woefully under seasoned. Maybe Contraste stole all the salt in town? A salad of asparagus, poached egg and veal lardons was excellent, as was a bottle of 2019 Foillard Cote du Py.

Le Rigmarole - every dish I had here was quite good, but I struggled to see the menu as a meal rather than a string of dishes. I can't complain about anything, not flavors or execution, just never felt the series hung together. I'd love to go back when there's a little more support staff, too. Don't get me wrong - I had a very good time, and a good bottle of champagne, as well as tasty food. But I don't see the high praise others have given.

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#416 Post by Robert Dentice »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: April 12th, 2022, 6:32 pm Just back from a quick 4 days in Paris. Here are some impressions:

Septime - possibly the best meal I've ever had there, and many steps above the slightly off meal I had last time. The menu was a true delight, beautiful and delicious, and exciting to see them on form again in both the kitchen and the dining room.

Le Rigmarole - every dish I had here was quite good, but I struggled to see the menu as a meal rather than a string of dishes. I can't complain about anything, not flavors or execution, just never felt the series hung together. I'd love to go back when there's a little more support staff, too. Don't get me wrong - I had a very good time, and a good bottle of champagne, as well as tasty food. But I don't see the high praise others have given.
I was talking to a French chef and she asked me what my favorite restaurant was in Paris and I said Septime, she said ugh I don't like it I have eaten seasonal food prepared in a simple way my whole life in France so its no big deal to me.

I asked her what her favorite restaurant was and she said Le Rigmarole, and I said ugh I don't want to eat Yakitori and pasta in Paris. I have gone three times and each meal has been fine it is just not what I travel to Paris for but I can see why others like it so much.

It was really interesting to see our different perspectives.

ITB - source | material

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#417 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Robert Dentice wrote: April 13th, 2022, 5:12 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: April 12th, 2022, 6:32 pm Just back from a quick 4 days in Paris. Here are some impressions:

I was talking to a French chef and she asked me what my favorite restaurant was in Paris and I said Septime, she said ugh I don't like it I have eaten seasonal food prepared in a simple way my whole life in France so its no big deal to me.

I asked her what her favorite restaurant was and she said Le Rigmarole, and I said ugh I don't want to eat Yakitori and pasta in Paris. I have gone three times and each meal has been fine it is just not what I travel to Paris for but I can see why others like it so much.

It was really interesting to see our different perspectives.
That is interesting and makes some sense.

With Le Rigmarole, for me, if is had really been a meal of skewers or pasta, I'd have enjoyed it more. But one skewer and one pasta along with several other things made it more like an isakaya meal, but one where you don't get to choose yourself. I also *hate* sharing small plate pasta dishes, especially with more than 2 people. It makes no sense to me whatsoever - why would I want to take 4 strands of pasta?

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#418 Post by alan weinberg »

thanks for your always insightful opinions, Sarah. We also ate at Cagouille, could live on the cockles and the couteaux there. Everything so clean and fresh, unadorned, letting the seafood speak. We had a corked, then amazing bottle of 2001 Grenouilles from Chablisienne, the corked bottle graciously whisked away after the owner verified my opinion, and it easily bested the 2011 Raveneau Clos, and at a fraction of the price.

As I’ve said before, I couldn’t ever get my wife back into Septime after a horrible meal there in a summer past. She won’t give Tour d’Argent another chance either.

We loved Toutain on a prior visit and need to return. Sounds like you had fun.

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#419 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

alan weinberg wrote: April 13th, 2022, 9:02 am thanks for your always insightful opinions, Sarah. We also ate at Cagouille, could live on the cockles and the couteaux there. Everything so clean and fresh, unadorned, letting the seafood speak. We had a corked, then amazing bottle of 2001 Grenouilles from Chablisienne, the corked bottle graciously whisked away after the owner verified my opinion, and it easily bested the 2011 Raveneau Clos, and at a fraction of the price.

As I’ve said before, I couldn’t ever get my wife back into Septime after a horrible meal there in a summer past. She won’t give Tour d’Argent another chance either.

Funny - I crashed another table's party when I was done with my meal at La Cagouille and they also had 2011 Raveneau Clos. Not a single enjoyable thing about it at this point. A 2000 Leflaive Pucelles, on the other hand (my thank you for letting me join), was clean and glorious!

I've never understood flat out refusing to go back to a restaurant - or never shared that feeling, anyway - except if they were dishonest or unspeakably rude.
Last edited by Sarah Kirschbaum on April 13th, 2022, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#420 Post by alan weinberg »

Epicure in the Bristol was again fabulous. Such a pretty room, service so gracious, attentive but not hovering, water service—something so often neglected in even fine restaurants—perfect. Crayfish, caviar dish, pasta/foie, fish all delicious and the timing and pace of meal perfect. Of course the Bocuse riff on poulet en vessie was great but I wonder who gets the rest of the chicken since only a thin slice of breast is served. Bring me thighs! And legs! Even wings! That’s a damn Heritage bird and needs proper attending. 2014 Dauvissat Forest and 2003 C. Tremblay Chapelle Chambertin, the former lovely, the latter a bit drying on the finish but good fruit not at all roasted, her first vintage and quite rare. They keep bringing loaf after loaf of bread with Normandy butter and it’s too easy to overeat bread.
60AA04F9-2AC6-4DF9-B945-A742649B9927.jpeg
F4C85440-17B9-4AAC-A0BF-1951B79209B3.jpeg
C29233E4-47CA-47D0-B287-C292189132A8.jpeg
2A2FE75F-E12B-4491-B5C3-8838AE9A007A.jpeg
3F6A76B0-6187-4487-81C0-82BE78231A38.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Michel Abood

#421 Post by Michel Abood »

Robert Dentice wrote: April 12th, 2022, 12:02 pm
I spent 48 crazy hours with Mika, the owner, in NYC this past weekend. Of course he is biased but he said he is very happy with the new chef and that his food is a bit lighter. Trying to get him to do something in NYC!
Glad to hear it, it'll be interesting to see the difference, and of course share the experience with our son (thankfully he eats everything, and lots of it). And please do let us know when and if a NYC event takes place, I'd love to partake.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#422 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

As a refresher, here’s a pic of very tasty octopus at ales Enfants du Marche… from Michel’s last meal there in Feb 2020 ;)
Instagram at @akgrill

Michel Abood

#423 Post by Michel Abood »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: April 13th, 2022, 8:25 pm
As a refresher, here’s a pic of very tasty octopus at ales Enfants du Marche… from Michel’s last meal there in Feb 2020 ;)
Don't tease me! I couldn't make it to Paris on this past trip, which sucked. I am counting down the days for our European vacation this summer.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#424 Post by Jay Miller »

Sh@n A wrote: March 18th, 2022, 4:43 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote: November 30th, 2021, 9:46 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: November 30th, 2021, 9:40 am Le Comptoir du Relais (not what it once was, but still very fine)
Sad to see the note that Le Comptoir du Relais is on the decline. I used to con my wife into eating there so I could hit Maison du Whiskey across the street before dinner :D
Is Le Comptoir confirmed on the decline? Was going to stay at the hotel just to dine there (my wife and I had a great memory the last time we were there, in summer 2019)... but it would be cheaper to stay elsewhere (Marriott Bonvoy points). Another review here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRev ... rance.html
We haven't been since a few years pre-pandemic at which point we thought the lunch was a small notch down from earlier visits. However the breakfast (only served to hotel guests) was memorable. Sort of a perfect continental breakfast, great croissant, great hot chocolate, etc.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#425 Post by alan weinberg »

check out Relais Christine. Great boutique hotel in 6th, English speaking, great buffet breakfast included 0700-1100 daily, amazingly attentive to personal needs. Stayed there 4 times.

David K o l i n
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#426 Post by David K o l i n »

alan weinberg wrote: April 15th, 2022, 11:51 am check out Relais Christine. Great boutique hotel in 6th, English speaking, great buffet breakfast included 0700-1100 daily, amazingly attentive to personal needs. Stayed there 4 times.
+1, although I haven’t stayed their in 20 years. I love their courtyard

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#427 Post by alan weinberg »

David K o l i n wrote: April 15th, 2022, 12:44 pm
alan weinberg wrote: April 15th, 2022, 11:51 am check out Relais Christine. Great boutique hotel in 6th, English speaking, great buffet breakfast included 0700-1100 daily, amazingly attentive to personal needs. Stayed there 4 times.
+1, although I haven’t stayed their in 20 years. I love their courtyard
recent remodel takes it up levels.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#428 Post by alan weinberg »

La Cagouille is a super place to eat and drink white Burgs at great pricing. A bowl of cockles in butter greets you with a crusty French bread. Food is unadorned, fresh from the sea, clean and brisk. Couteau—razor clams—delicious, bouillabaisse, various fresh fish, all good. A corked bottle was whisked away without a peep of protest. Old and young wines abound, though the list is not what it used to be either in breadth or cost, but that’s a reality of Burgundy. All in all, still a must visit for Burgundy lovers.
99D306D3-32D5-4CD6-8F79-306271623135.jpeg
D4D1AA02-0B65-4F19-BC71-D06938550C6D.jpeg
4953805E-A594-44F4-8133-639531912E85.jpeg
5896C76F-1B1D-4984-A6B7-8D31749692FB.jpeg
C0BACDE5-4734-4405-B6E7-CF50B4730719.jpeg
7FA72A32-D108-4947-A657-AEC85B7A67BB.jpeg
426598E7-58A4-4229-A705-DD2A28310916.jpeg
50423804-6D21-40CC-ACE2-02C170E70A69.jpeg
Last edited by alan weinberg on April 16th, 2022, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#429 Post by alan weinberg »

1B40A504-19B9-4AF5-8023-DF6DCFBC8074.jpeg

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#430 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

alan weinberg wrote: April 13th, 2022, 9:02 am thanks for your always insightful opinions, Sarah. We also ate at Cagouille, could live on the cockles and the couteaux there. Everything so clean and fresh, unadorned, letting the seafood speak. We had a corked, then amazing bottle of 2001 Grenouilles from Chablisienne, the corked bottle graciously whisked away after the owner verified my opinion, and it easily bested the 2011 Raveneau Clos, and at a fraction of the price.

Amazing the variation in how there seems to be one person who will never go back to a place that everyone else adores.

For me, it's David Toutain, worse meal in Paris ever.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#431 Post by alan weinberg »

Barry L i p t o n wrote: April 16th, 2022, 11:03 am

Amazing the variation in how there seems to be one person who will never go back to a place that everyone else adores.

For me, it's David Toutain, worse meal in Paris ever.
and we had a great meal there! Guess it depends on server and other factors. Our feeling is that there are so many places we haven’t been, why go back to one that we’ve had a bad data point at, even if others loved it. We have done Cagouille twice, Coq & Fils 3 times, Epicure twice. So many more untried.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#432 Post by alan weinberg »

Epicure in the Bristol. Been twice. First time probably better since all so unexpected and server an absolute gem who enhanced the experience. Took adult kids and had a great meal. Professional and formal while still being warm and inviting, the room is gorgeous, table nicely appointed. Tables are far apart. Menu allows mix of à la carte or dégustation, can make substitutions. Pacing is perfect. Wine list a value and gem. We had C Bouchard Creux d’Enfer, V Dauvissat Montée de Tonnerre 2014, and Tremblay Chapelle 2003, also a 375 of 09 Arlot Suchots that was quite unready even in that format. Food included poulet en vessie, a Bocuse classic. Lots of great dishes. Be careful not to fill up on bread and Normandy butter. They keep bringing it. And they send you home with a loaf also. It’s a 3 star, deserves the rating, and we will return.
2A08161A-16CD-4C7D-B365-CE9578F408A1.jpeg
774B5614-91B0-4484-A769-D1591FD40EFD.jpeg
F52EA6C9-4100-4CC9-A0F5-FAE7DA576C2C.jpeg
3DD704C6-2F09-4CE7-9C35-06CD5AA20E62.jpeg
7C1CE7AC-BB51-4161-9C68-C044BC012919.jpeg
37F96E3E-07B4-4E54-B524-F78E1042F7BB.jpeg
15F77979-8054-4E90-A4D5-D876821C7437.jpeg
F63A4C85-0D33-41FC-8891-58347CA00BD6.jpeg
2D82245A-4215-4C71-A371-A98B929CF3CC.jpeg

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#433 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Looks awesome Alan!

I also like the flexibility you describe, as I don't do 3 - 4 hour meals that last until late anymore.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#434 Post by alan weinberg »

Les Crayeres in Reims. A Michelin 2 star and, in my opinion, worth 3. Formal room but with lots of sunlight, pretty well-spaced tables and exemplary service from an army of well-informed articulate servers with excellent language skills. Needless to say, an impressive champagne list but also Burgundy. Didn’t look at Bordeaux but likely great also. We had 2015 U Collin Pierrières and 2010 Raveneau Valmur, wine of the two week trip. Food exceptional.
8643226B-CEC8-4B42-B54F-056CA550ED80.jpeg
B5E95984-5B85-466A-AA7D-CA4F429E8046.jpeg
E34C7EA4-A18E-4621-97EC-40127DDF05D0.jpeg
492FDD33-F6A1-42AD-A9DB-22D01D49C090.jpeg
DC813555-5A37-49D4-8316-C599076ED161.jpeg
59EC8E66-D0D0-43FC-8355-C2D597560144.jpeg
511D011E-9A66-4A9C-B892-64FD5E785B68.jpeg

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#435 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: April 13th, 2022, 9:08 am

Funny - I crashed another table's party when I was done with my meal at La Cagouille and they also had 2011 Raveneau Clos. Not a single enjoyable thing about it at this point. A 2000 Leflaive Pucelles, on the other hand (my thank you for letting me join), was clean and glorious!

I've never understood flat out refusing to go back to a restaurant - or never shared that feeling, anyway - except if they were dishonest or unspeakably rude.
How about incredibly condescending and serving up something inedible? I have the feeling you wouldn't tolerate extreme condescension either.

My wife got a twig with a few greens as her entree at Toutain. The main I got was meat with a twig decoration. Service already was poor once they realized we weren't ordering a bottle of wine.

The other time was at Alain Ducasse many years ago. We write ahead and ask if they can do a vegetarian meal in the style of Alain Ducasse. They say "bien sur". What they served as my wife's entree was plain peas and carrots. When we complained, the response was "but these are Mr. Ducassse's peas and carrots". No better than my wife's peas and carrots when she sources from the Farmers market. They could have easiily said "no", as other 3 *s sometimes do.

It isn't about whether something isn't good or not - every great restaurant makes mistakes, and how they rectify things is the differentiator.

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#436 Post by Adam Frisch »

alan weinberg wrote: April 16th, 2022, 10:44 am La Cagouille is a super place to eat and drink white Burgs at great pricing. A bowl of cockles in butter greets you with a crusty French bread. Food is unadorned, fresh from the sea, clean and brisk. Couteau—razor clams—delicious, bouillabaisse, various fresh fish, all good. A corked bottle was whisked away without a peep of protest. Old and young wines abound, though the list is not what it used to be either in breadth or cost, but that’s a reality of Burgundy. All in all, still a must visit for Burgundy lovers.99D306D3-32D5-4CD6-8F79-306271623135.jpegD4D1AA02-0B65-4F19-BC71-D06938550C6D.jpeg4953805E-A594-44F4-8133-639531912E85.jpeg5896C76F-1B1D-4984-A6B7-8D31749692FB.jpegC0BACDE5-4734-4405-B6E7-CF50B4730719.jpeg7FA72A32-D108-4947-A657-AEC85B7A67BB.jpeg426598E7-58A4-4229-A705-DD2A28310916.jpeg50423804-6D21-40CC-ACE2-02C170E70A69.jpeg
This is the kind of seafood restaurants I miss dearly here in the US. Simple, paired down stuff where the flavors of the sea are allowed center stage, but without being fine-dining-y. Here everything is overdone, over-breaded, over-fried and over-sauced or otherwise gimmicky. Less is more is a concept sorely eluding American seafood restaurants.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#437 Post by alan weinberg »

Alain
we went w the adult kids recently just to show a classic French bistro and had a great time. Food wasn’t amazing. It was underseasoned and not very tasty. Cheese cart decent. Wine was quite good, 14 V Dauvissat Forest, 18 Ramonet Boudriotte, and 17 M Roy Gevrey VV. Ambience was wonderful and we loved it. Go back? No.

Paul Bert was an alternative but we had heard about a lot of condescension and high pricing. We are happy w our decision. It was a fun night at LBG.

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#438 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Adam Frisch wrote: April 17th, 2022, 3:07 am
alan weinberg wrote: April 16th, 2022, 10:44 am La Cagouille is a super place to eat and drink white Burgs at great pricing. A bowl of cockles in butter greets you with a crusty French bread. Food is unadorned, fresh from the sea, clean and brisk. Couteau—razor clams—delicious, bouillabaisse, various fresh fish, all good. A corked bottle was whisked away without a peep of protest. Old and young wines abound, though the list is not what it used to be either in breadth or cost, but that’s a reality of Burgundy. All in all, still a must visit for Burgundy lovers.99D306D3-32D5-4CD6-8F79-306271623135.jpegD4D1AA02-0B65-4F19-BC71-D06938550C6D.jpeg4953805E-A594-44F4-8133-639531912E85.jpeg5896C76F-1B1D-4984-A6B7-8D31749692FB.jpegC0BACDE5-4734-4405-B6E7-CF50B4730719.jpeg7FA72A32-D108-4947-A657-AEC85B7A67BB.jpeg426598E7-58A4-4229-A705-DD2A28310916.jpeg50423804-6D21-40CC-ACE2-02C170E70A69.jpeg
This is the kind of seafood restaurants I miss dearly here in the US. Simple, paired down stuff where the flavors of the sea are allowed center stage, but without being fine-dining-y. Here everything is overdone, over-breaded, over-fried and over-sauced or otherwise gimmicky. Less is more is a concept sorely eluding American seafood restaurants.
If you don't mind no wine and a super casual setting, try Holbox in LA. Definitely different cuisine, but exactly what you said (assuming spicey is ok).

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#439 Post by Robert Dentice »

alan weinberg wrote: April 17th, 2022, 9:42 am

Alain
we went w the adult kids recently just to show a classic French bistro and had a great time. Food wasn’t amazing. It was underseasoned and not very tasty. Cheese cart decent. Wine was quite good, 14 V Dauvissat Forest, 18 Ramonet Boudriotte, and 17 M Roy Gevrey VV. Ambience was wonderful and we loved it. Go back? No.

Paul Bert was an alternative but we had heard about a lot of condescension and high pricing. We are happy w our decision. It was a fun night at LBG.
I would disagree about Paul Bert and so would many, many other people. Really hate to see a restaurant bashed by someone who has not been there recently.

ITB - source | material

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#440 Post by alan weinberg »

Robert Dentice wrote: April 17th, 2022, 9:52 am
alan weinberg wrote: April 17th, 2022, 9:42 am

Alain

I would disagree about Paul Bert and so would many, many other people. Really hate to see a restaurant bashed by someone who has not been there recently.
I wasn’t bashing. Had just talked to a few people and done some reading. When I called them for a reservation—prior to deciding not to go—about two weeks before the date—they told me to call back in a week, no explanation why I couldn’t make a res two weeks prior. We then chose LBG.

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#441 Post by Robert Dentice »

Some updates...hit Paris for 48 hours or so for the last two nights of La Tour d'Argent.

Had lunch at Les Enfant du Marche and love what the new Chef is doing. Similar but perhaps a tad lighter than Masa's food. Although it could just be that it is spring.

Also did a wonderful 6 hour lunch at Chef Masa's new spot Actedeux. It is definitely a scene and I would guess not all of the people are there for the food. However the food is nonetheless excellent. We let him cook a veg and fish menu for us and loved it. Wine list is all natural with a few cleaner selections. My friend Aaron Ayscough is doing the list and is just getting started. It will be interesting to see how the place evolves, it definitely has a cool vibe and is packed but not with your typical wine and foodie crew. It is outside on the 5th floor so beautiful views.

We hit Clamato for lunch and they are firing on all cylinders. My only quibble is I wish the wine list was a bit more expansive, we always find something and had a nice bottle of Ganevat.

ITB - source | material

Nathan V.

#442 Post by Nathan V. »

Robert Dentice wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 8:15 am Some updates...hit Paris for 48 hours or so for the last two nights of La Tour d'Argent.
Just to be clear, they aren't closing for good, right? Just for renovations?
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Tom G l a s g o w
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#443 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Nathan V. wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 12:43 pm
Robert Dentice wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 8:15 am Some updates...hit Paris for 48 hours or so for the last two nights of La Tour d'Argent.
Yes, https://epicerie.tourdargent.com/en/blo ... rique.html

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#444 Post by Robert Dentice »

Nathan V. wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 12:43 pm
Correct. The planned reopening date is March 2nd. I have already booked.

ITB - source | material

Mark Y

#445 Post by Mark Y »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: April 12th, 2022, 6:32 pm
Is there a secret to septime reso other than just mashing refresh 21 days prior? Have wanted to try and can never see availability in 10+ trips to Paris 😭
Y.e.

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#446 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Mark Y wrote: May 8th, 2022, 11:22 am
Is there a secret to septime reso other than just mashing refresh 21 days prior? Have wanted to try and can never see availability in 10+ trips to Paris 😭
You could try stopping by on person next time you are there. Sometimes they can accommodate walk-ins or find something for the next day.

Mark Y

#447 Post by Mark Y »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: May 8th, 2022, 12:29 pm
Mark Y wrote: May 8th, 2022, 11:22 am
You could try stopping by on person next time you are there. Sometimes they can accommodate walk-ins or find something for the next day.
Thanks Sarah, that's a great idea. I'll try that this summer!
Y.e.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#448 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

@Mark - you should have Brutos on your list. Has never failed to please and I've brought everyone from my daughters (Lauren loves the duck hearts) to colleagues. Also one of Wendy's favorites (Paris is my Kitchen). Chatted with her on IM briefly this AM - man do I miss CAM. Very, very few places I've visited where I've actually DREAMED about eating dinner there - CAM was on that short list.
Instagram at @akgrill

Sh@n A

#449 Post by Sh@n A »

Any recommendations for something like the old Le Comptoire for couples dinner as a 'last night in Paris'? Not looking for anything too stuffy or overly formal. Thinking of Juvenile's Wine Bar (found it off this list: https://parisbymouth.com/our-favorite-p ... staurants/)
/ @ g r @ \

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”