FERMENTATION Thread

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

FERMENTATION Thread

#1 Post by Linda Baehr » May 3rd, 2020, 10:02 pm

Hey All,
Since more people are at home cooking and making things they've never made before, I thought I would start a fermentation thread.
As those of you who know me know, I and a (not working right now) winemaker, so I have always been into fermentation, but I'm putting that knowledge to food use now.
Some fermentations I have been doing up 'til now (pre-Covid)

Kombucha
Sourdough
Sake

What I am about to start:
Hot Sauce
Gochujang
Kim Chi

I am not on Reddit a lot, but I saw a thread today that caught my eye. Someone posted a pic of a pasta dish that they had made with the brine of a porcini ferment they had done. WHAT!! Fermented mushrooms?! The brine got me thinking, because when I do my hot sauce, I definitely want to use the brine. But mushroom brine sounds like pure umami.
Anyone here into fermentation? Ever do mushrooms?
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

PauLeenda2020

GregP

Re: FERMENTATION Thread

#2 Post by GregP » May 3rd, 2020, 10:51 pm

Ever been to Russian deli? Shelves of various pickled mushrooms. Great with vodka, Russians/Poles/Belorussians have been doing that for centuries now. Mushrooms, in general, are not really "well known" food in the West when compared to Eastern Europe, plenty of mushroom based recipes there, not just simple "fry up some" theme. Have 3-4 jars of pickled mushrooms in the pantry. Salt as main ingredient, but then allspice, black peppercorns, cloves, sliced white onion, bay leaf.

I ferment a number of veggies, not just Napa cabbage but a number of different veggies, mostly Korean style, but also some old school Jewish recipes (cucumbers, sour cabbage, etc.). Try pickled watermelon, excellent with BBQ meats, takes a few days to pickle. And pickled/sour apples are great as well.

And we have been fermenting/pickling lemons, Moroccan staple, for a few years now to use when making slow cooked meat dished (stews, etc.), they add a very faint, subtle note that greatly enhances the dish without being too obvious.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Kenny H » May 4th, 2020, 5:59 am

I ferment hot sauce every year with the garden. Been fermenting kimchi lately with the Mother in Law's recipe, I
adjust with a longer fermentation. Also do the fermented lemon, essential staple. Lots of sourdough lately.

I have not tried mushrooms but very interested to once I get some fresh stuff.

Sandor Katz The Art of Fermentation, is the go to guide.
H0eve!kamp

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Jason T » May 4th, 2020, 11:55 am

I love fermented stuff!!!!!

I’ve got a fantastic Chai Tea Kombucha going, red wine vinegar that I started from scratch (no mother), and various peppers that I’m using to make hot sauce.

But the best thing I’ve got going right now is sauerkraut from red cabbage. It’s about 6 weeks in. Just so tangy and alive with flavour but still got a bit of crunch to it. Will let it go a couple more weeks but it’s fine where it’s at.
J@son Tr@ughber

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Jason T » May 4th, 2020, 11:56 am

Linda Baehr wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 10:02 pm
Hey All,
Since more people are at home cooking and making things they've never made before, I thought I would start a fermentation thread.
As those of you who know me know, I and a (not working right now) winemaker, so I have always been into fermentation, but I'm putting that knowledge to food use now.

Kombucha
Sourdough
Sake

Hot Sauce
Gochujang
Kim Chi

I am not on Reddit a lot, but I saw a thread today that caught my eye. Someone posted a pic of a pasta dish that they had made with the brine of a porcini ferment they had done. WHAT!! Fermented mushrooms?! The brine got me thinking, because when I do my hot sauce, I definitely want to use the brine. But mushroom brine sounds like pure umami.
Linda, do you strain your hot sauce at all?
J@son Tr@ughber

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Linda Baehr » May 4th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Jason T wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 11:56 am
Linda Baehr wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 10:02 pm
Hey All,

Kombucha
Sourdough
Sake

Hot Sauce
Gochujang
Kim Chi

Linda, do you strain your hot sauce at all?
I'm just getting it started, but I probably won't.

PauLeenda2020

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Jason T » May 4th, 2020, 12:36 pm

I normally don’t either but I’ve recently read about dehydrating the remaining pulp and using it as seasoning. Apparently it’s supposed to be quite delicious.
J@son Tr@ughber

Alex N

#8 Post by Alex N » May 4th, 2020, 12:44 pm

I've made kombucha for years. It's incredible how much $ you save making your own
Lots of kim chi, but a gallon batch goes a long way and it's easy to get burnt out.
Mead - probably the most hassle free of things I've made, and fermented in a chardonnay barrel
Beer - I sold my brewing kit but it's fun. Last batch was a NE IPA that came in at around 7% ABV.
hot sauce fermented in a whiskey barrel is my current project
@13x N1ch•!z

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Linda Baehr » May 4th, 2020, 12:53 pm

GregP wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 10:51 pm
Ever been to Russian deli? Shelves of various pickled mushrooms. Great with vodka, Russians/Poles/Belorussians have been doing that for centuries now. Mushrooms, in general, are not really "well known" food in the West when compared to Eastern Europe, plenty of mushroom based recipes there, not just simple "fry up some" theme. Have 3-4 jars of pickled mushrooms in the pantry. Salt as main ingredient, but then allspice, black peppercorns, cloves, sliced white onion, bay leaf.

I ferment a number of veggies, not just Napa cabbage but a number of different veggies, mostly Korean style, but also some old school Jewish recipes (cucumbers, sour cabbage, etc.). Try pickled watermelon, excellent with BBQ meats, takes a few days to pickle. And pickled/sour apples are great as well.

And we have been fermenting/pickling lemons, Moroccan staple, for a few years now to use when making slow cooked meat dished (stews, etc.), they add a very faint, subtle note that greatly enhances the dish without being too obvious.
Hi Greg!
I've had brined mushrooms. I just never thought of actually fermenting them. I have a couple of mushroom growing kits on order, so I'll have to try doing that with some of them.
I did some lemons years ago. I'll have to do that again, too. I love Moroccan food. Thanks for the reminder!

PauLeenda2020

GregP

#10 Post by GregP » May 5th, 2020, 3:43 pm

I've also been pickling mackerel and sardines (herring style), as well as lox and smoked salmon as extension of that (same dry rub for ~3 days, but then smoked), both cold and hot. Heck, the more I think about it, the more I recall of other pickled food I do. And I make lardo, jar fermented for about 5 days, completely covered in salt with as little air inside as you can, forcing it to ferment, then washed off and stored in freezer. In small amounts, very healthy.

GregT

#11 Post by GregT » May 5th, 2020, 5:38 pm

Good topic Linda.

But pickling is different from fermenting, although I'd very happily eat those fish!!

I'm OK at pickling since I kind of grew up watching my grandparents and my mother do it. But fermenting is something else.

I've tried several times with Kim Chee and always end up with some rotting fruit. So what's the mistake?
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

GregP

#12 Post by GregP » May 6th, 2020, 12:34 am

Most of the time pickling is fermentation. Some differences, sure, but in general, same. I never use vinegar/brine, in any pickling, so fermentation. Salt, spices, time.

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Kenny H » May 6th, 2020, 6:51 am

GregT wrote:
May 5th, 2020, 5:38 pm
Good topic Linda.

But pickling is different from fermenting, although I'd very happily eat those fish!!

I'm OK at pickling since I kind of grew up watching my grandparents and my mother do it. But fermenting is something else.

I've tried several times with Kim Chee and always end up with some rotting fruit. So what's the mistake?
Several possible issues: product not fresh, not enough salt, you've washed the product of culture, or you are not protecting it from air ingress so you get mold.
H0eve!kamp

Christine Huang

#14 Post by Christine Huang » May 6th, 2020, 7:10 pm

Hi Linda,

Sorry - I didn’t see this thread before I posted the Sourdough one. I hope you don’t mind.

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Linda Baehr » May 6th, 2020, 10:32 pm

Christine Huang wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 7:10 pm
Hi Linda,

Sorry - I didn’t see this thread before I posted the Sourdough one. I hope you don’t mind.
No! Different thing really!
But your black garlic reminded me of that. I need to find a recipe to ferment some. Although I have been having problems getting garlic the past couple of times I have picked up groceries.

PauLeenda2020

Christine Huang

#16 Post by Christine Huang » May 7th, 2020, 5:41 am

Oooh! I’d love to see how you would ferment the garlic!

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Robert M yers » May 10th, 2020, 9:13 am

Here’s an interesting book that I’ve been wanting to explore

I’m a consumer of his products locally but have been wanting to explore the methods behind the most interesting creations.

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Linda Baehr » May 12th, 2020, 11:49 am

Robert M yers wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 9:13 am
Here’s an interesting book that I’ve been wanting to explore

I’m a consumer of his products locally but have been wanting to explore the methods behind the most interesting creations.
Thanks for the recommendation! I just ordered it yesterday!

I know Christine had posted about using shio koji on Facebook, and I intend to make some. I have been making koji rice for my sake, but I think I was cooking the rice for too long. It should be steamed and slightly al dente rather than fully cooked. I bought a steamer tray for my rice cooker, but it is going to severely limit the amount of rice I can steam at one time. The first time I made sake I steamed the rice on the stove top, but the pot I have with a steamer also doesn't allow for much volume.

PauLeenda2020

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Robert M yers » May 14th, 2020, 9:30 am

Cool! Keep us up if you try/find anything spectacular.

Christine Huang

#20 Post by Christine Huang » May 14th, 2020, 9:39 am

Yes! Please post on the Koji. We love it.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#21 Post by c fu » May 14th, 2020, 9:40 am

https://mykoreankitchen.com/korean-cube ... -kkakdugi/

my go to kim chi recipe. I let it sit on the counter for 3 days to get that extra funk. I've been doing a perpetual "sauce" where I make my batch of kimchi slurry then add the remaining sauce from the old jar. Just gets deeper in flavor each time. Fermentation happens quicker too.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Linda Baehr » August 1st, 2020, 6:52 pm

Some hot scauces-to-be that I started a few days ago.

Chipotle, with jalapenos I smoked myself, habanero with bing cherries, habaneros with mustard seed and onion, habanero with apricots, and habanero with blueberries.
Almost all of them have garlic, and a few have ginger and other spices, and a couple with dried ghost chilies.

I also started a couple of others not pictured, with habanero and mango, and habanero with pineapple.

IMG_2854.jpg

PauLeenda2020

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Linda Baehr » August 1st, 2020, 7:02 pm

Since I had pineapple left over from sauce making (and a couple of mangoes, too), I decided to make Tepache, a fermented Mexican beverage. It is usually very low alcohol and drank like a soda.

I started a ginger bug with organic ginger, water, and sugar. I fed it daily for about six days.
IMG_2858.JPG
I then cut up my fruit, added water and spices, and added the ginger bug. This is on day two of the ferment.
IMG_2866.jpg
It's already tasting yummy!

PauLeenda2020

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”