Cast Iron- share all your favorite tips/tricks/recipies

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
P. Willenberg

#51 Post by P. Willenberg » March 15th, 2017, 6:02 am

Eric Michels wrote:For those of us that don't have a 150K BTU burner to use a regular thin-walled carbon steel wok, I highly recommend Lodge's thick-walled cast iron version. It has a flat bottom for use on a standard cooktop, a fully concave interior, and the mass of it and cast iron construction mean that it will suck up enough heat to avoid cooling right down when you add your food (a problem I had on weaker stoves with a thin walled carbon steel wok). It is clearly not the same as having a full on wok burner but the closest that I've been able to come at home.
I have a buddy who does this and preheats the cast iron wok in the oven since he has crappy electric coil burners.
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Mark Mason

#52 Post by Mark Mason » July 7th, 2017, 11:33 am

I need help with my cast iron skillet. Bought a new Lodge and have used it about 15 times, all for steaks. Each time, I just wipe it out with a paper towel but now I have a "gunk" that has formed a soft crust that is getting thicker with each use. I could scrape it out with a knife, it's that soft and thick. Is this the ideal, nonstick surface that I'm after?
Hard water fisherman

Rob_S

#53 Post by Rob_S » July 7th, 2017, 11:46 am

Mark Mason wrote:I need help with my cast iron skillet. Bought a new Lodge and have used it about 15 times, all for steaks. Each time, I just wipe it out with a paper towel but now I have a "gunk" that has formed a soft crust that is getting thicker with each use. I could scrape it out with a knife, it's that soft and thick. Is this the ideal, nonstick surface that I'm after?
No.

Get a chainmail cloth and scrub that off. I always wash my cast iron when it's still warm, rinsing it out with hot water and then drying. Just wiping it out won't clean the pan and you'll get soft, thick gunk. When it's properly seasoned the hot water and a soft bristle brush should make everything come off. The vast majority of the water will run off like it's a non-stick pan.
utherland

ybarselah

#54 Post by ybarselah » July 7th, 2017, 4:43 pm

this may be a very stupid question, but is there a cast iron pan out there with a copper core?
Yaacov (ITB)

Bill Tex Landreth

#55 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » July 7th, 2017, 6:26 pm

Stupid question
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

M Hudson

#56 Post by M Hudson » July 8th, 2017, 9:08 am

For whatever reason I am now cooking in my lodge skillet all the time over my copper core pans. I find that if I put it on the gas burner on 3 and just let it come up to temp slowly it cooks wonderfully. Eggs are non stick every time. Ps I seasoned it by bills recipie. Wife nearly beat me for the smell but it worked.
M@rk
Actions Matter

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

Re: Cast Iron- share all your favorite tips/tricks/recipies

#57 Post by Nola Palomar » January 12th, 2020, 11:09 am

I keep my grandmother’s Wagner on my stove top and use it all the time. My dad brought me several more which I’ve re-seasoned but I think I’d like to bring them back to bare and start over. Is one true method better than others? I have done it w the self clean cycle on the oven, is that over kill though?
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

Milton Hudson

#58 Post by Milton Hudson » January 13th, 2020, 8:30 am

Nola Palomar wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 11:09 am
I keep my grandmother’s Wagner on my stove top and use it all the time. My dad brought me several more which I’ve re-seasoned but I think I’d like to bring them back to bare and start over. Is one true method better than others? I have done it w the self clean cycle on the oven, is that over kill though?
The self clean cycle works well. Or if you have an outdoor burner (around here we call them turkey burners or crawfish burners) you can just put it on that until the previous seasoning burns off. Then once cool, clean it out and use the same burner to reseason. This way the smell stays outside. The country way to do this was to throw it in a trash fire, once the fire burns out,get it out of the ashes, wipe out and then fry up some potatoes.

Mel Hill

#59 Post by Mel Hill » January 14th, 2020, 6:58 am

I’ve used this method to redo the seasoning in a cast iron skillet
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/ ... cast-iron/

Victor Hong

#60 Post by Victor Hong » January 14th, 2020, 12:07 pm

ybarselah wrote:
July 7th, 2017, 4:43 pm
this may be a very stupid question, but is there a cast iron pan out there with a copper core?
Because copper expands faster than cast iron when heated, and shrinks faster when cooled, the copper core would eventually fatigue and distort the cast-iron cooking surface.
WineHunter.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”