Eating and Drinking in Paris

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Robert Dentice

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated July 2019)

#201 Post by Robert Dentice » November 20th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Andrew M wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 12:21 pm
I guess I got lucky. I filled out the contact from on Abri's website and they emailed me immediately. Confirmed a reservation for November 16th with credit card deposit. Septime replied that their reservations open 3 weeks ahead at 10 am local, so I'll be giving them a call at 4 am EDT on the 25th to get a reservation on 11/15. Online would work too. Waiting to hear back from Rigmarole.
How was Abri?

Andrew M

#202 Post by Andrew M » November 21st, 2019, 4:37 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 12:31 pm
Andrew M wrote:
I guess I got lucky. I filled out the contact from on Abri's website and they emailed me immediately. Confirmed a reservation for November 16th with credit card deposit. Septime replied that their reservations open 3 weeks ahead at 10 am local, so I'll be giving them a call at 4 am EDT on the 25th to get a reservation on 11/15. Online would work too. Waiting to hear back from Rigmarole.
How was Abri?
One of the best meals of my life. We usually avoid blind prix fixe, but here the flavors will make you like all the ingredients you thought you didn’t. I can’t imagine spending 4-5x for a 2* or 3* meal, the cooking there is as good as it gets.
M @ k $ ! m ø v ! ç h

Robert Dentice

#203 Post by Robert Dentice » November 21st, 2019, 10:32 am

Andrew M wrote:
November 21st, 2019, 4:37 am
Robert Dentice wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 12:31 pm
Andrew M wrote:
How was Abri?
One of the best meals of my life. We usually avoid blind prix fixe, but here the flavors will make you like all the ingredients you thought you didn’t. I can’t imagine spending 4-5x for a 2* or 3* meal, the cooking there is as good as it gets.
Wow! I am going to Paris next week and it is probably too late to fit in. But next time it will be a priority!

Robert Dentice

#204 Post by Robert Dentice » November 24th, 2019, 1:28 am

Stay tuned for many updates!

First stop Les Enfants du Marché:

Also found a great new coffee spot in the Marais Grand Café Tortoni. It is a coffee and cosmetics store. Weird combo but the coffee is great.

https://www.obonparis.com/en/magazine/g ... fe-tortoni

Robert Dentice

#205 Post by Robert Dentice » November 25th, 2019, 12:07 am

Dinner on Saturday at Restaurant A.T was as always fantastic.

Lunch Sunday at Clamato was good followed by the usual all day hang at Cave Septime.

And THEN dinner at Cheval d' Or was just stunningly great! Blew me away!!!! One of the best meals I have had in a long time.

Robert Dentice

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris

#206 Post by Robert Dentice » December 2nd, 2019, 12:37 am

Back from a week in Paris. I will try to post thoughts on all meals.

Les Enfants Du Marché - two lunches here. Fantastic as always. I would be a regular here if I lived in Paris.

La Cagouille - Admittedly I primarily went here to drink wine. The wine list was not as large as I had hoped but there is definitely lots of great choices. And the food was much better than I expected. I would definitely return.

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#207 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » December 2nd, 2019, 3:30 pm

hells yes

Robert Dentice

#208 Post by Robert Dentice » December 3rd, 2019, 2:18 am

Lunch at Maison Sota. At €55 the lunch tasting menu is an absolute steal. We loved Chef Sota's food at Clown Bar and went to his NYC residency a few times. Hence, we were very excited for this lunch! And it did not disappoint. The food was excellent. And I feel like two months in he is just getting started and the food will continue to improve. Wine service was great with many of the cleaner type Natural wines I dig.

Robert Dentice

#209 Post by Robert Dentice » December 3rd, 2019, 2:21 am

We scheduled two meals at Restaurant A.T because we had a dinner booked on our first night and then friends wanted to go later in the trip. Chef Atsushi is a dear friend so take this with a grain of salt. I love his food and both dinners were wonderful. The photos are from the 2nd dinner where he changed up about half of the menu with many first time dishes.

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#210 Post by ClarkstonMark » December 6th, 2019, 6:44 am

I've always wanted to have a meal at L'ami Jean.
In Feb on a Thursday I'll have a 6AM to 4:30PM layover at CDG.
I think I can get a noon reservation, finish meal and get back to CDG using RER in time for 4:30 flight.
Is this a stupid idea?
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Robert Dentice

#211 Post by Robert Dentice » December 6th, 2019, 7:06 am

ClarkstonMark wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 6:44 am
I think I can get a noon reservation, finish meal and get back to CDG using RER in time for 4:30 flight.
Is this a stupid idea?
It is doable but feels like it is cutting it close. It can occasionally take a long time to get into CDG once you arrive. How did you end up with a 10.5 hour layover??

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#212 Post by ClarkstonMark » December 6th, 2019, 7:48 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 7:06 am
ClarkstonMark wrote:
Is this a stupid idea?
It is doable but feels like it is cutting it close. It can occasionally take a long time to get into CDG once you arrive. How did you end up with a 10.5 hour layover??
Thanks! AF always has cheapest business class from where I fly .... in this case I am flying PVG-CDG, 10.5 hr layover, then CDG-YYZ (Toronto) - it is a ridiculous routing but get 2 long AF flights - though from Shanghai I will sleep most of flight.
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#213 Post by Andrew Kotowski » December 6th, 2019, 8:05 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
ClarkstonMark wrote:
Is this a stupid idea?
Business gets you into the express immigration line on both sides, which is usually your biggest time suck. Assuming your bags stay checked and you have your boarding pass, it's totally doable.

I would not RER in; take a cab from the queue. To be certain, I always Uber, but I'd take as many variables out as possible (i.e. random Uber driver that can't figure out where the pick-up site is and then circles for 20 minutes, only to cancel). RER is definitely cheaper, but I doubt you're sweating $40 if you're flying business and hitting up a nice dinner in Paris ;)

Just make sure lunch is over by 1:30, as it's going to take at least 45 mins to get back, even at 1:30.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.instagram.com/akgrill

Robert Dentice

#214 Post by Robert Dentice » December 6th, 2019, 8:29 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 8:05 am
Robert Dentice wrote:
ClarkstonMark wrote:
Is this a stupid idea?
Business gets you into the express immigration line on both sides, which is usually your biggest time suck. Assuming your bags stay checked and you have your boarding pass, it's totally doable.

I would not RER in; take a cab from the queue. To be certain, I always Uber, but I'd take as many variables out as possible (i.e. random Uber driver that can't figure out where the pick-up site is and then circles for 20 minutes, only to cancel). RER is definitely cheaper, but I doubt you're sweating $40 if you're flying business and hitting up a nice dinner in Paris ;)

Just make sure lunch is over by 1:30, as it's going to take at least 45 mins to get back, even at 1:30.
I would also prebook a car to pick you up. I have had some crazy situations waiting for ubers in that very neighborhood.

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#215 Post by ClarkstonMark » December 6th, 2019, 9:57 am

Thanks for tips. Cab in and Uber out are definitely feasible.
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#216 Post by Andrew Kotowski » December 6th, 2019, 10:16 am

ClarkstonMark wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 9:57 am
Given 6:30 arrival, you may consider going to Le Bon Marche when it opens at 10 and pick up a couple of bottles of wine, along with some Bordier demi-sel (they should have the roscoff onion release now), before lunch, especially if you’re comfortable with the Metro... ‘cause that’s what I would do :)

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#217 Post by Michel Abood » December 6th, 2019, 11:04 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 10:16 am
ClarkstonMark wrote:
Given 6:30 arrival, you may consider going to Le Bon Marche when it opens at 10 and pick up a couple of bottles of wine, along with some Bordier demi-sel (they should have the roscoff onion release now), before lunch, especially if you’re comfortable with the Metro... ‘cause that’s what I would do :)
This and the Uber, preferably scheduled in advance for the pick up and return to CDG at 1:30pm. Forget the RER, especially if you don't know it well (connecting stations can sometimes mean a lot of walking between the Metro and the RER). A 4:30pm flight means you'll need to be there by 2:30pm in case of any security issues. Make sure you get to l'Ami Jean a few minutes before they open (say 11:45am just to be sure), they won't open the door until noon on the dot but at least you won't have any delays getting seated. Try to study the lunch menu beforehand and have everything planned out so you don't waste any time.

The food is outstanding, and Chef is hilarious if a bit temperamental. BTW, what Thursday in February are you there?
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#218 Post by ClarkstonMark » December 6th, 2019, 11:46 am

Thanks Andrew and Michel. I'll be there Feb 13.
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Kelly Walker

#219 Post by Kelly Walker » December 6th, 2019, 2:50 pm

La Cagouille ❤️ Razor clams in butter, I dream of them!
White wines matter

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#220 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » December 11th, 2019, 3:47 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 10:16 am
ClarkstonMark wrote:
How do you get the wine on the plane if your luggage is already checked?

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#221 Post by Andrew Kotowski » December 11th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Good point. Ship it?

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”