Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#601 Post by fred o. » November 28th, 2018, 12:09 am

had a forgettable experience at Simone recently. the execution was actually good but the conception behind the dishes seemed a bit off, which was disappointing given the pedigree behind the kitchen.

tried Majordomo again and it was much more enjoyable this time, the food/execution was very well done, particular kudos to Jude Parra Sickels for his tight oversight of the kitchen. the macaroni and chickpea, and the boiled chicken were highlights. the soup from the boiled chicken preparation was outstanding with amazing depth of flavor, if a bit salty; leftovers the next day showed the degree of skill, the chilled soup separated cleanly into a fatty top layer and a clear gelatinous bottom layer, evidently a long preparation of bone broth. The wine list was much more interesting with some older selections, though they were priced accordingly.

Bestia on a recent visit was still outstanding. Ori Menashe was in the kitchen by the grills and all the food had a great balance of flavor, vibrant but strikingly not salty. They were very good about taking back a drink that a member of our party didn't like (dirty martini) and replacing it with a cocktail (white negroni -- excellent).

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#602 Post by Marshall Gelb » November 30th, 2018, 12:16 pm

Havent gone through the entire thread of late but we have had two excellent meals at "Dama" in DTLA. Very interesting food, excellent service, decent wine list and reasonable corkage. It its across the courtyard from Rosso Blu. I think, at one time, that it was actually a banana warehouse.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#603 Post by Marshall Gelb » November 30th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
April 6th, 2018, 2:18 pm
Jason Hagen wrote:
G. Greenbaum wrote:
El Segundo Brewery visit?

El Segundo is a million miles away from me but could do Monkish, Smog City or Phantom.

Brian, our favorite place used to be right down the street from you. Maria's (Anza & PCH). Incredible carnitas and albondigas. Of course almost every Mexican restaurant in the South Bay would slaughter anything I can get in Orange county. Marias has moved to Western Avenue. Haven't been so I cannot vouch for it. Maria is the sister of South Bay legend, Alfredo. As the Alfredo's empire grew, I thought the food became variable and would only go to Maria's. Of course that was over 20 years ago.

I'll PM you next time I am in the area. Should be soon.

Jason
Sounds good. And I think I've driven by an Alfredo's ---- on PCH somewhere, iirc. And I'll put Maria's on the list, too. [cheers.gif]
Seems like time for a Torrance/Redondo Beach get together! Shoot, I think Maria's is about to become a d%$# Starbucks! Just what the neighborhood needs.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#604 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 2nd, 2018, 10:27 am

I would certainly enjoy that! (The get together, not the Starbucks. [berserker.gif] )
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#605 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 2nd, 2018, 3:08 pm

Will be going to Factory Kitchen for the first time on Fri Dec. 14th. Group of 10 diners. Any recent diners have food recs. and/or know of current corkage policy? Obviously, I can simply call the restaurant about the corkage, but thought I might as well ask here, too.

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#606 Post by c fu » December 3rd, 2018, 9:59 am

December 2nd, 2018, 3:08 pm
Will be going to Factory Kitchen for the first time on Fri Dec. 14th. Group of 10 diners. Any recent diners have food recs. and/or know of current corkage policy? Obviously, I can simply call the restaurant about the corkage, but thought I might as well ask here, too.
i don't know if it's still super strict, but it used to be a two btl limit
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#607 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 3rd, 2018, 10:42 am

Thanks.

Jason Hagen

#608 Post by Jason Hagen » December 3rd, 2018, 6:39 pm

November 5th, 2018, 8:48 pm
Ate at Catal in downtown Disney this past weekend. My suckling pig was excellent. The wine list was very reasonably priced (2005 Beychelle for $139 just about jumped off the page at me; there were plenty of other very reasonable options, too).

If, in the future, I ever find myself needing dinner in downtown Disney I would not hesitate to eat there again.
Good to hear. We have had some really great meals there, but sometimes a bit inconsistent. Is corkage still free there?

Jason

M. Meer

#609 Post by M. Meer » December 3rd, 2018, 8:10 pm

Will be going to Factory Kitchen for the first time on Fri Dec. 14th. Any recent diners have food recs?
Yes, the casonzei. I think it's a family recipe from where the chef grew up. The porchetta is good. Haven't had the cotechino there, but that's a great winter dish.

The wine list is decent as well.
Mar.kus

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#610 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 3rd, 2018, 10:32 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 6:39 pm
Ate at Catal in downtown Disney this past weekend. My suckling pig was excellent. The wine list was very reasonably priced (2005 Beychelle for $139 just about jumped off the page at me; there were plenty of other very reasonable options, too).

If, in the future, I ever find myself needing dinner in downtown Disney I would not hesitate to eat there again.
Good to hear. We have had some really great meals there, but sometimes a bit inconsistent. Is corkage still free there?

Jason
No idea, Jason. Sorry. I hadn't even known corkage was/is free there. In fact, hadn't even considered bringing wine to Disney, but I will now!! champagne.gif

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#611 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 3rd, 2018, 10:35 pm

M. Meer wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 8:10 pm
Will be going to Factory Kitchen for the first time on Fri Dec. 14th. Any recent diners have food recs?
Yes, the casonzei. I think it's a family recipe from where the chef grew up. The porchetta is good. Haven't had the cotechino there, but that's a great winter dish.

The wine list is decent as well.
Oooh!! This is all I needed to hear. I *love* porchetta, and it's not nearly as prevalent in L.A. markets as it is/was in and around where I grew up in the Twin Cities, so it's a rare occasion when I come across it. Thank you for posting. [cheers.gif]

David Cooper

#612 Post by David Cooper » December 4th, 2018, 9:42 am

I will be in DTLA next week and have two reservations, Osteria Mozza and Otium. We need one more in the Downtown area. We were thinking Broken Spanish. Is BYOB an idea at any of these places?

My Mrs spends a lot of time in LA and has had great meals at Otium and BS, we are going to Mozza after our trip to K and L. It seems close enough. We were going to go to the Hearth and Hound which she loves but it is closed Mondays.

Any recommendation for somewhere to eat late night on Sunday near the Walt Disney Music Hall?

Thanks in advance.

Robert Dentice

#613 Post by Robert Dentice » December 4th, 2018, 10:41 am

David Cooper wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 9:42 am
I will be in DTLA next week and have two reservations, Osteria Mozza and Otium. We need one more in the Downtown area. We were thinking Broken Spanish. Is BYOB an idea at any of these places?

My Mrs spends a lot of time in LA and has had great meals at Otium and BS, we are going to Mozza after our trip to K and L. It seems close enough. We were going to go to the Hearth and Hound which she loves but it is closed Mondays.

Any recommendation for somewhere to eat late night on Sunday near the Walt Disney Music Hall?

Thanks in advance.

I would add Majordomo to that list.

Barry L i p t o n

#614 Post by Barry L i p t o n » December 4th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Anyone been to Scratch kitchen in Encino?

Jason Hagen

#615 Post by Jason Hagen » December 4th, 2018, 3:33 pm

December 3rd, 2018, 10:32 pm
Jason Hagen wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 6:39 pm

Jason
No idea, Jason. Sorry. I hadn't even known corkage was/is free there. In fact, hadn't even considered bringing wine to Disney, but I will now!! champagne.gif

Well check with them. It has been awhile but there was a season that all of the, or most of the, Patina Group restaurants waived corkage fees.

And how has no flamed you for posting this in a "Los Angeles" thread!?!

Jason

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#616 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 4th, 2018, 6:20 pm

Hey, the *Los Angeles* Angels of Anaheim play there. LOL!!

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#617 Post by c fu » December 4th, 2018, 6:50 pm

David Cooper wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 9:42 am

Thanks in advance.
you can BYOB at all of them, they just charge corkage.

I second Robert - Majordomo
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

David Cooper

#618 Post by David Cooper » December 5th, 2018, 8:53 am

Thanks c fu. Would we have a chance of walking up and getting a table at around 5:30? The earliest reservation they seem to have is around 9:30. We aren't looking for Blue Plate specials yet but that is a bit late for us.

M. Meer

#619 Post by M. Meer » December 5th, 2018, 4:55 pm

December 3rd, 2018, 10:35 pm
I *love* porchetta, and it's not nearly as prevalent in L.A. markets as it is/was in and around where I grew up in the Twin Cities, so it's a rare occasion when I come across it. Thank you for posting. [cheers.gif]
[/quote]

Hope you enjoy your meal there! We had a really pleasant experience. Porchetta is a special dish for us, as well. The staff was engaging and responsive that night, and the chef was able to come out and chat with us for a minute and talk about food.
Mar.kus

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#620 Post by c fu » December 6th, 2018, 12:36 am

David Cooper wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 8:53 am
Thanks c fu. Would we have a chance of walking up and getting a table at around 5:30? The earliest reservation they seem to have is around 9:30. We aren't looking for Blue Plate specials yet but that is a bit late for us.
yep 5:30 you can walk up and sit at the chef's counter or an outdoor table (maybe indoor too)
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

David Cooper

#621 Post by David Cooper » December 6th, 2018, 5:18 pm

Turns out I got a phone reservation. Very excited. Thanks Charlie and Robert for encouraging me.

Cancelled Osteria Mozza and added Broken Spanish. Anyone know of a late night place near Disney for Sunday night?

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#622 Post by c fu » December 6th, 2018, 5:45 pm

David Cooper wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 5:18 pm
Turns out I got a phone reservation. Very excited. Thanks Charlie and Robert for encouraging me.

Cancelled Osteria Mozza and added Broken Spanish. Anyone know of a late night place near Disney for Sunday night?
disneyland?
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

David Cooper

#623 Post by David Cooper » December 6th, 2018, 7:23 pm

Sorry. The Walt Disney Music Hall. We can't eat before the concert, so will be wondering the streets of DTLA looking for food.

Antonio_G

#624 Post by Antonio_G » December 6th, 2018, 8:41 pm

David Cooper wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 7:23 pm
Sorry. The Walt Disney Music Hall. We can't eat before the concert, so will be wondering the streets of DTLA looking for food.

For some of the best food right now IMO, Bavel or Simone Restaurant. About 10 minutes from Disney hall
A_Guti errez

Nowell Karten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#625 Post by Nowell Karten » December 7th, 2018, 1:40 am

David Cooper wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 7:23 pm
How about Bestia? Sorry if someone already suggested this.
In the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe,...

David Cooper

#626 Post by David Cooper » December 10th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Wow. Majordomo was great.Thanks Robert and Charlie. We had a bunch of smaller plates, the Cauliflower and Macheroni with truffles were exceptional. Drank a 16 Faury Saint Joseph of the list.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#627 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 12th, 2018, 2:17 pm

How was that Faury, David?

David Cooper

#628 Post by David Cooper » December 12th, 2018, 7:19 pm

I really liked it. I am a huge fan of the 2016s that I have drank, although they have been lower end wines like this one and Chapoutier Les Meysonieres.

2016 Domaine Faury St. Joseph - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (12/10/2018)
Medium red, very clear and bright. Lovely fresh Syrah nose, red flowers, cherry, earth and pepper. Delicious textured earthy red fruit and a dry tannic but fresh finish. (91 pts.)

We just had a 2016 Halcon Alturus, that was very much like the Faury. We also had a 2015 Billon Cote Rotie at Otium last night that was just okay.

Our LA visit included dinners at Majordomo, Otium, Vespaiolo and Shake Shack. All were very good in their own way. I also had tongue and tripe tacos for breakfast at the Central Market and sushi at a place called Sushi go 55 while my Mrs worked.

Forgot about a white knuckle glass of wine on the roof of the Intercontinental Hotel. I hate heights.

I'm hoping to pick up a Rush Creek Reserve tomorrow morning at DTLA cheese before going home. Can't wait to come back in February.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”