What did you cook tonight?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Paul Bacino

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1051 Post by Paul Bacino » August 21st, 2018, 7:50 am

Kenny H wrote:
June 11th, 2018, 7:32 pm
I'm impressed by those asparagus Paul. Your patch or local grower?
Kenny,

My patch, I have been making a 4x8 bed for about 4 yrs and its staring to pay off

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1052 Post by Kenny H » August 21st, 2018, 8:10 pm

cjsavino wrote:
August 6th, 2018, 4:03 pm
Tomato tart, fresh from the garden tomatoes

84B3C1E7-3785-45B8-A5CA-78BB74A16931.jpeg
Inspired by CJ I did a moroccan styled tomato tart with garden tomatoes and homemade preserved lemons curd and homemade creme fraiche.
94C2D31D-9F1D-48CE-BB12-68248990E41B.jpeg
Toasted and ground green cardamom mixed in preserved lemon curd, baked curd and pastry crust, roasted tomatoes in evoo then topped, sumac, herbs from the garden lemon mint cilantro and blossom. The most complex dessert I have ever made, a lovely mix of salty, sweet, savory.
H0eve!kamp

Brandon R

#1053 Post by Brandon R » August 22nd, 2018, 9:28 am

Wow, very interesting and inspired, Kenny. I've got to be honest, if I saw that description in a cookbook or on a menu, I'd certainly hesitate. I don't do dessert often but, when I do, I'm a sweet dessert guy. Truly, kudos for you for going outside the norm with your dessert!
B. Redman

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1054 Post by Kenny H » August 22nd, 2018, 2:07 pm

Brandon R wrote:
August 22nd, 2018, 9:28 am
Wow, very interesting and inspired, Kenny. I've got to be honest, if I saw that description in a cookbook or on a menu, I'd certainly hesitate. I don't do dessert often but, when I do, I'm a sweet dessert guy. Truly, kudos for you for going outside the norm with your dessert!
Thanks. I was very hesitant too but my intuition said go for it. It works because the elements provide contrast (sour preserved lemon vs. sweet tomato and curd), while balancing salt/sour/sweet/savory. Cardamom is an ingredient in many ethnic desserts, and a spice I really enjoy. It is a natural compliment to preserved lemon so my thought was I just need a vehicle to deliver that combo.
H0eve!kamp

Arthur Gamon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1055 Post by Arthur Gamon » August 22nd, 2018, 5:32 pm

I may have to duck when people throw verbal rocks, but last night we made a salmon steak dinner with dill sauce, microwaved green beans and Za'atar couscous, from HelloFresh, an outfit that sends you dinners to prepare yourself. It was great, though my wife thought the couscous was too dry. I liked it. Other than this, we thought the dinner was top notch, and we will use the recipe to recreate it some time in the future, but she will want brown rice in place of the couscous.
Wine Makes Everyone Hopeful.
---Aristotle or Plato

I washed a man in Reno, just to watch him dry.
---not Johnny Cash

Brandon R

#1056 Post by Brandon R » August 23rd, 2018, 9:14 am

WHAT?!? Sauce on salmon?? MICROWAVED beans?!?!?? Not-made-from-a-farmers-market-hand-crafted cous cous?!??? Damn you, Arthur.

[tease.gif] neener champagne.gif
B. Redman

Arthur Gamon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1057 Post by Arthur Gamon » September 12th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Damn Brandon. I did it again. This time we had salmon with wasabi cream sauce on it with microwaved green beans and jasmine rice. We are truly sinners, but dang, it tasted so good. Washed it down with sparking Cali Mumms. BUT, we checked, and the salmon was named Ralph, and he was caught on the Pacific coast. The rice was picked by oriental virgins, and beaten by ex-summo wrestlers.
---Aristotle or Plato

---not Johnny Cash

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#1058 Post by Nola Palomar » September 12th, 2018, 6:36 pm

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Tortilla Española, queso manchego, chorizo and great wine!!!
E5541867-D62E-48A9-8AF5-B6F2B3D4C850.jpeg
50E5D5D4-79BE-40B3-9A21-79AC1C18F478.jpeg
Last edited by Nola Palomar on September 12th, 2018, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1059 Post by alan weinberg » September 12th, 2018, 8:12 pm

Nola Palomar wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 6:36 pm
>>>>>>>>>>>>

Tortilla Español, queso manchego, chorizo and great wine!!!

E5541867-D62E-48A9-8AF5-B6F2B3D4C850.jpeg

50E5D5D4-79BE-40B3-9A21-79AC1C18F478.jpeg
good to see you posting. Yum. Used Veleta olive oil in my pasta tonight.

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#1060 Post by Nola Palomar » September 12th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Thanks Alan!
Nola
ITB

Veleta
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1061 Post by Randy Bowman » September 12th, 2018, 8:33 pm

The tacos we were planning tonight just lost their luster. That looks awful yummy Nola.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#1062 Post by Nola Palomar » September 12th, 2018, 8:38 pm

I can teach you a tortilla española. Randy if you can make Mac & cheese you can do this!!
Nola
ITB

Veleta
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Arthur Gamon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1063 Post by Arthur Gamon » September 12th, 2018, 10:37 pm

Yee gods Nola. Great to see you cooking tributes to Juan. Would love to see you post that recipe here!! All the very best to you!!
---Aristotle or Plato

---not Johnny Cash

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#1064 Post by Nola Palomar » September 13th, 2018, 3:36 am

Recipe for Tortilla Española
This is enough for 3 small tortillas. Make 1 and then store the rest in the refrigerator to make the others in a couple days.

8-9 potatoes - peeled and sliced thin
2 onions - peeled and sliced thin
9 jumbo eggs ( or a doz large eggs)
Salt
Veleta EVOO

In a non stick frying pan or kettle add an ample amount ( a cup or more) of olive oil and heat. Add potatoes and onions and salt my guess is about 1 tablespoon. Mix thoroughly and cook until they are soft. Juan would get them almost but not quite to the point where they would be mashed consistency. Hint: stir them often and cook under low to medium low, you don’t want crunchy potatoes.
When the potatoes and onions are done, put a sieve inside a bowl or pan and add the potatoes to drain and keep the EVOO as well as cool the potato mixture. Don’t try to rush through this part. The potatoes need to be cool before you add the to eggs other wise you’ll heat coagulate them. In a separate bowl crack the eggs and beat them like you would to make scrambled eggs. Wait. Make a salad, prepare something else, wait. Finally, when the taters are cool add them to the eggs mix well, make sure the egg mix is in between all the slices of potatoes and onions. I use smaller pans because it cooks faster. My fav skillet is a copper 8 inch pan I think I found at Walmart. So, the olive oil you strained out, use that. Add enough to coat the bottom and sides of the pan. Heat, when hot add the potato-egg mixture. How much? Enough so it look right!! Turn the heat down and let it cook. Move the pan around a bit to shake it loose so it doesn’t get stuck. I cover it loosely with a lid the help it cook a bit faster. When the tortilla has a cooked rim of about an inch it’s time to flip. I have a tortilla lid. See below. It is concave and has no rim, it allows me to hold on to the turner and flip the tortilla add a bit more EVOO to the pan and gently slide the uncooked side on to the hot surface of the pan. Cook this side throughly.
You can now flip it easier and finish cooking.
C49A5810-D138-4E79-B764-688DAC6FF020.jpeg
Tons of variations, include Jamon, peppers chorizo, etc or change the potatoes to spinach or Swiss chard lots of different tapas it’s the process.
* disclaimer! Typed at 6 am before coffee on my cell phone.
Attachments
E5115D04-6C03-4D24-B5F9-33862AAD56F1.jpeg
Nola
ITB

Veleta
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#1065 Post by Joe Chanley » September 13th, 2018, 5:37 am

do you have a good recipe for fresh tortillas?

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#1066 Post by Nola Palomar » September 13th, 2018, 8:38 am

Joe Chanley wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 5:37 am
what is a "fresh tortilla"?
Nola
ITB

Veleta
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#1067 Post by Joe Chanley » September 13th, 2018, 9:19 am

Nola Palomar wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 8:38 am
Joe Chanley wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 5:37 am
what is a "fresh tortilla"?
from scratch....not store bought

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1068 Post by AlexS » September 13th, 2018, 11:15 am

Joe, I think you're on the wrong continent...

Btw Nola, your Tortilla Española looks absolutely delicious!
s t e w @ r t

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#1069 Post by Nola Palomar » September 13th, 2018, 2:48 pm

AlexS wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 11:15 am

Btw Nola, your Tortilla Española looks absolutely delicious!

It was!! flirtysmile
Nola
ITB

Veleta
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Arthur Gamon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1070 Post by Arthur Gamon » September 13th, 2018, 2:59 pm

Thank you a lot Nola!
---Aristotle or Plato

---not Johnny Cash

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1071 Post by alan weinberg » September 13th, 2018, 5:23 pm

Cornish game hens stuffed w wild rice in oven now. Going to find a nice Burg to go with them.

Patrick Lundgren

#1072 Post by Patrick Lundgren » September 17th, 2018, 9:18 am

Double-cut skin-on pork rib chop.

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1073 Post by Kenny H » September 17th, 2018, 10:17 am

Look at that crispy!!!
H0eve!kamp

DaveStein

#1074 Post by DaveStein » October 2nd, 2018, 10:47 pm

Grilled some beautiful rib-eye cuts. Thick and grilled to perfection, because I have grillin' skills. Fresh steamed broccoli and red potatoes chopped with olive oil and fresh rosemary. A nice cab for me and merlot for her.
newhere

Brandon R

#1075 Post by Brandon R » October 5th, 2018, 10:28 am

Didn't take any pictures, but I made a big batch of red beans and rice. It sure is satisfying and delicious. My kids loved it too.
B. Redman

Arthur Gamon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1076 Post by Arthur Gamon » October 5th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Last night, we had scallops on a bed of mushroom risotto, with a brown butter herb sauce over it. This was a HelloFresh dinner mailed to us. All was fresh and tasteful. If we had had more scallops, it would have been a dinner for three, as we had risotto leftover, as well as brown butter sauce. Dang tasty.
---Aristotle or Plato

---not Johnny Cash

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1077 Post by Mark Golodetz » October 6th, 2018, 4:28 am

My favorite tapa. Thank you, I am going to try this.
Nola Palomar wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 3:36 am
This is enough for 3 small tortillas. Make 1 and then store the rest in the refrigerator to make the others in a couple days.

Salt
Veleta EVOO

In a non stick frying pan or kettle add an ample amount ( a cup or more) of olive oil and heat. Add potatoes and onions and salt my guess is about 1 tablespoon. Mix thoroughly and cook until they are soft. Juan would get them almost but not quite to the point where they would be mashed consistency. Hint: stir them often and cook under low to medium low, you don’t want crunchy potatoes.
When the potatoes and onions are done, put a sieve inside a bowl or pan and add the potatoes to drain and keep the EVOO as well as cool the potato mixture. Don’t try to rush through this part. The potatoes need to be cool before you add the to eggs other wise you’ll heat coagulate them. In a separate bowl crack the eggs and beat them like you would to make scrambled eggs. Wait. Make a salad, prepare something else, wait. Finally, when the taters are cool add them to the eggs mix well, make sure the egg mix is in between all the slices of potatoes and onions. I use smaller pans because it cooks faster. My fav skillet is a copper 8 inch pan I think I found at Walmart. So, the olive oil you strained out, use that. Add enough to coat the bottom and sides of the pan. Heat, when hot add the potato-egg mixture. How much? Enough so it look right!! Turn the heat down and let it cook. Move the pan around a bit to shake it loose so it doesn’t get stuck. I cover it loosely with a lid the help it cook a bit faster. When the tortilla has a cooked rim of about an inch it’s time to flip. I have a tortilla lid. See below. It is concave and has no rim, it allows me to hold on to the turner and flip the tortilla add a bit more EVOO to the pan and gently slide the uncooked side on to the hot surface of the pan. Cook this side throughly.

Tons of variations, include Jamon, peppers chorizo, etc or change the potatoes to spinach or Swiss chard lots of different tapas it’s the process.
ITB

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1078 Post by mattcitrang » October 6th, 2018, 6:46 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 4:28 am
Nola Palomar wrote:

Salt
Veleta EVOO

Is it best to use starchy potatoes or waxy potatoes?

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#1079 Post by Nola Palomar » October 6th, 2018, 6:50 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
It's one of my favorites too! A tip: The worst mistake people make is not to cook the potatoes enough. When I make a batch like this, I use my pressure cooker. With the popularity of the new electric cookers out there it make is easier than ever. So as I get my potatoes and onions ready, I put them in a bowl, then I add my salt and toss it around to mix it thoroughly then I add IDK, a half a bottle of EVOO and toss it around to completely coat the potatoes. I use a traditional pressure cooker with the rack in the bottom, add the potatoes and onions pouring the EVOO over the top. Add maybe a cup of water, and cook under pressure for 5 - 6 mins. I cool instantly with running cold water over the cooker in the sink. Have the prev bowl (rinsed out) and a sieve inside, empty the contents into the strainer reserving the liquid runoff. Oil rises to the top and you save that. toss the water liq below the oil. Turn the potatoes & onions onto a jelly roll pan to cool. After they have cooled proceed with beating the eggs and making the omelet as usual. You just made a rapid Tortilla Española!!
Nola
ITB

Veleta
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#1080 Post by Nola Palomar » October 6th, 2018, 6:53 am

mattcitrang wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 6:46 am
Is it best to use starchy potatoes or waxy potatoes?
Starchy!
Nola
ITB

Veleta
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1081 Post by Mark Golodetz » October 6th, 2018, 7:55 am

Nola Palomar wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 6:50 am
Mark Golodetz wrote:
It's one of my favorites too! A tip: The worst mistake people make is not to cook the potatoes enough. When I make a batch like this, I use my pressure cooker. With the popularity of the new electric cookers out there it make is easier than ever. So as I get my potatoes and onions ready, I put them in a bowl, then I add my salt and toss it around to mix it thoroughly then I add IDK, a half a bottle of EVOO and toss it around to completely coat the potatoes. I use a traditional pressure cooker with the rack in the bottom, add the potatoes and onions pouring the EVOO over the top. Add maybe a cup of water, and cook under pressure for 5 - 6 mins. I cool instantly with running cold water over the cooker in the sink. Have the prev bowl (rinsed out) and a sieve inside, empty the contents into the strainer reserving the liquid runoff. Oil rises to the top and you save that. toss the water liq below the oil. Turn the potatoes & onions onto a jelly roll pan to cool. After they have cooled proceed with beating the eggs and making the omelet as usual. You just made a rapid Tortilla Española!!
Thank you Nola. Never thought of using a pressure cooker for such a short time.
ITB

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1082 Post by Brian Tuite » October 10th, 2018, 7:50 pm

Seared Duck Breast with Pinot Noir Cherry Reduction over Shiitake Risotto

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2018 WOTY...
2014 Carter Cellars Wietz

YLee

#1083 Post by YLee » October 11th, 2018, 5:05 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
October 10th, 2018, 7:50 pm
Seared Duck Breast with Pinot Noir Cherry Reduction over Shiitake Risotto

wow! impressed!
-Yong

Brandon R

#1084 Post by Brandon R » October 11th, 2018, 9:17 am

Nice, Brian. Screams for a new world pinot noir, IMO. What did you drink with it?
B. Redman

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1085 Post by Brian Tuite » October 11th, 2018, 11:30 am

Brandon R wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 9:17 am
Nice, Brian. Screams for a new world pinot noir, IMO. What did you drink with it?
F83DD150-24A4-4B50-A836-07618C708BEC.jpeg

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

2018 WOTY...

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#1086 Post by Nola Palomar » October 11th, 2018, 3:37 pm

Arroz con Pollo.
C3136EA7-8E1F-44FA-9016-AC1171672915.jpeg
Nola
ITB

Veleta
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Brandon R

#1087 Post by Brandon R » October 12th, 2018, 7:06 am

Nice, Nola. Are those radishes?
B. Redman

Mich@el Ch@ng

#1088 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » October 12th, 2018, 11:49 am

I reverse seared some Flannery burgers. I probably won’t do that again even though they were great because the results were only marginally better than the grill and it took a lot longer.

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#1089 Post by Nola Palomar » October 12th, 2018, 3:08 pm

Brandon R wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 7:06 am
Nice, Nola. Are those radishes?
No, they are red peppers, I think the coloring of the photo is a bit off.
Nola
ITB

Veleta
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1090 Post by David K o l i n » October 12th, 2018, 5:53 pm

More olive focaccia
3E3CA4CF-4E23-4571-9B2E-E966EB59BDB5.jpeg
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” T. Roosevelt

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." J. Goebbels (reprised by D Trump)

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1091 Post by Kenny H » October 19th, 2018, 6:39 pm

3 day buttermilk brined, asian salt brine, dried in fridge, lemongrass thai chicken. Coconut black thai sticky rice, soy chile wok fried bok choy.
73AC79D4-7D9B-47C4-9736-4A266B0D62C5.jpeg
H0eve!kamp

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1092 Post by Brian Tuite » October 24th, 2018, 7:07 pm

My first soup of the season, Butternut Squash, Yam and Parsnip
E2BA6EDE-B783-4029-9EAF-922C68ADCB16.jpeg

2018 WOTY...

Brandon R

#1093 Post by Brandon R » October 25th, 2018, 8:34 am

Looks and sounds great, Kenny. Did you do the brine in buttermilk for three days, and then another dry brine salted in the fridge, or did you salt the bird and then put it into the buttermilk for three days? That's a long time...what does it do to the chicken?
B. Redman

Greg Mitrakas

#1094 Post by Greg Mitrakas » October 25th, 2018, 7:28 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
Nola Palomar wrote:

Salt
Veleta EVOO

x2. That looks outstanding. Thanks for sharing

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#1095 Post by Joe Chanley » October 26th, 2018, 5:44 am

Brandon R wrote:
October 25th, 2018, 8:34 am
Looks and sounds great, Kenny. Did you do the brine in buttermilk for three days, and then another dry brine salted in the fridge, or did you salt the bird and then put it into the buttermilk for three days? That's a long time...what does it do to the chicken?
+1, would love to know.

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1096 Post by Kenny H » October 26th, 2018, 9:56 am

Brandon R wrote:
October 25th, 2018, 8:34 am
No, buttermilk brine for one day. Rinse then a one day wet brine w seasonings. Then one day drying in fridge with some more salt/lemongrass on the skin.

It softens the texture for sure and is usually for fried chicken but I figured a good roasted asian spin was easier at the last minute.
H0eve!kamp

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1097 Post by cjsavino » October 27th, 2018, 4:48 pm

B3CE3AF7-0B4C-4D1F-86DF-BEA48F4B2B3C.jpeg
DFF4A7C3-36D4-4A4C-9D31-353BFCFF3303.jpeg
Apple pie and short ribs tonight.
Chris

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1098 Post by Steve Manzi » October 28th, 2018, 10:46 am

Looks awesome Chris.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1099 Post by Steve Manzi » October 28th, 2018, 10:48 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
October 24th, 2018, 7:07 pm
My first soup of the season, Butternut Squash, Yam and Parsnip

E2BA6EDE-B783-4029-9EAF-922C68ADCB16.jpeg
Did you use a VitaMix for that soup? Looks beautiful!

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

Lonnie F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1100 Post by Lonnie F. » October 28th, 2018, 10:51 am

Last night, roasted rack of lamb, roasted carrots and sauteed peas with a friendly little Vina Alberdi.
Lonnie Fuller

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”