UC Davis Curator's Cellar:Cool Wines and Ultra Rarities 1930s-1999 CAL & French, Good Deals

Warm up your credit cards and come on in, as here is where you will find all the BerserkerDay offers - open to EVERYONE who loves wine. Apologize to your spouse or significant other ahead of time. Offers are posted in groups of 10-12 every 30 minutes - Auctions preview at 9:00 am PST
c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

UC Davis Curator's Cellar:Cool Wines and Ultra Rarities 1930s-1999 CAL & French, Good Deals

#51 Post by c fu » January 30th, 2017, 2:25 pm

David_S wrote:No email to tell me he got my email. I guess I don't understand really. There is a list posted of what should be in the cellar so as emails came in the items can just be crossed off and that's that right? Unless the concern is the original list might be off.
He needs to double check all inventory. Let's just have some patience in spending our monies :D
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » January 30th, 2017, 3:32 pm

No email yet.
I saw it on my phone on the preview forum but when I got home to review it was unfortunately past 9 PM and the forum was closed. I didn't see a time for this thread to go live, got busy with work, and am probably shut out since my meager 4 bottle offer wasn't sent until 12:45 PST or so. Maybe Charlie you can share a few bottles of your with me! [wink.gif]
Cheers,
Paul

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#53 Post by c fu » January 31st, 2017, 8:08 pm

got my update.

got some Schramsberg (thought that'd be a cool vertical). Got a single btl of the Hanzell, some SO, 76 mondavi res, 78 diamond creek and some french wines. I think about 70% of what i asked for.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Rich Brown » January 31st, 2017, 9:15 pm

Still not even an acknowledgment email here??

Charlie, were any of yours offers, or did they all have prices listed?

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#55 Post by c fu » January 31st, 2017, 9:15 pm

Rich Brown wrote:Still not even an acknowledgment email here??

Charlie, were any of yours offers, or did they all have prices listed?
all price listed. didn't bid on any auction wines.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Rich Brown » January 31st, 2017, 9:22 pm

Gotcha.

Curious if anyone who placed bids has heard anything yet. Or at least received an acknowledgment email. Guess I can't figure out why some peeps already know what they got, and nothing at all for others.

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by ykwon » February 1st, 2017, 4:35 am

I haven't received anything. Did send a test email prior to the auction and was acknowledged.

I sent the email exactly at 10:30PST since that was on Todds launch schedule. I think it opened a little prior so probably missed out because of it.

Charlie did snag some bottles that I wanted :x
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Rich Brown » February 1st, 2017, 7:41 am

Charlie, sounds like you're in pretty constant contact with the OP. If you get a chance, anyway you could ask him what the plan is in regards to responding to bids, or just general responses to the majority of people who have not heard anything?

Seems like that would be really helpful to lots of folks here

DAVID GIBBS

#59 Post by DAVID GIBBS » February 1st, 2017, 8:18 am

Rich Brown wrote:Gotcha.

Curious if anyone who placed bids has heard anything yet. Or at least received an acknowledgment email. Guess I can't figure out why some peeps already know what they got, and nothing at all for others.
I did get a confirmation email that my bids/offers were received, and it looks like I might have won a few of the things I wanted, and likely lost a great deal to those with even quicker fingers;)
I had my email written and cued up on my iPad and laptop, and an "email sent" response on my phone for the forum, and sent them all at the same time as my alarm went off.
My guess is that everybody sent them in at 10:30, so his inbox was flooded with identical time stamps. Maybe internet connection speed made a difference in the order emails were received?
Either way, I'm certain Richard is just trying to sort through everything to be as fair as possible to the most amount of people possible. Time consuming and likely a thankless task;)
If I do end up with some of the bottles I requested, they'll be opened and shared at the bar for anyone interested.
ITB- Augustine Wine Bar

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Rich Brown » February 1st, 2017, 8:38 am

Thanks David.

Still not sure why only some people got confirmations, but I guess we're not going to get any answers on that and will just have to wait and see.

Main problem is my hands are starting to go numb from keeping my fingers crossed for so long.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by brigcampbell » February 1st, 2017, 9:12 am

Rich Brown wrote:Thanks David.

Still not sure why only some people got confirmations, but I guess we're not going to get any answers on that and will just have to wait and see.

Main problem is my hands are starting to go numb from keeping my fingers crossed for so long.
I just got off the phone with Richard. He's posting an update here today and some more good news. He really is a good guy and helping the widow who wants to be involved in the process limits the speed. But it's moving.

this is the bottle I wanted, someone got it for $300. California history right there. Good for everyone! but me [cheers.gif]
Attachments
1126161543a.jpg
1126161543a.jpg (15.17 KiB) Viewed 2713 times

DAVID GIBBS

#62 Post by DAVID GIBBS » February 1st, 2017, 9:37 am

brigcampbell wrote:

I just got off the phone with Richard. He's posting an update here today and some more good news. He really is a good guy and helping the widow who wants to be involved in the process limits the speed. But it's moving.

this is the bottle I wanted, someone got it for $300. California history right there. Good for everyone! but me [cheers.gif]
Hm...that was what I bid:)
Fingers crossed as well!
ITB- Augustine Wine Bar

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#63 Post by c fu » February 1st, 2017, 9:50 am

DAVID GIBBS wrote:
brigcampbell wrote:

Hm...that was what I bid:)
Fingers crossed as well!
that is a dope bottle with a ton of history behind it.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#64 Post by c fu » February 1st, 2017, 9:50 am

DAVID GIBBS wrote:
Rich Brown wrote:Gotcha.

I did get a confirmation email that my bids/offers were received, and it looks like I might have won a few of the things I wanted, and likely lost a great deal to those with even quicker fingers;)
I had my email written and cued up on my iPad and laptop, and an "email sent" response on my phone for the forum, and sent them all at the same time as my alarm went off.
My guess is that everybody sent them in at 10:30, so his inbox was flooded with identical time stamps. Maybe internet connection speed made a difference in the order emails were received?
Either way, I'm certain Richard is just trying to sort through everything to be as fair as possible to the most amount of people possible. Time consuming and likely a thankless task;)
If I do end up with some of the bottles I requested, they'll be opened and shared at the bar for anyone interested.
I had my finger over the send button, once my clock turned to 10:30 i hit send. I'd think lots of factors go into how quickly your email gets there as it comes down to the millisecond. I know I wasn't first cause someone got that negotiant Margaux I was looking at!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Richard Albert

#65 Post by Richard Albert » February 1st, 2017, 10:19 am

THANK YOU big time to all who responded.

I am plowing through the orders and will get back to you today and tomorrow via email. Although I briefly explained that there would be delays in my pre-sale intro, some gents emailed me and requested confirmations. Less than a handful of buyers have had their orders confirmed to this point. Please do not feel neglected...

Here are the details behind the delayed response, for which I apologize. I am excited just to work with some of these bottles and am very aware of their significance(s), so I understand your displeasure with this delay.
-The wines are in the cellar, not in my possession-over an hour away in non commute times.
-The widow has been actively involved starting with updating the outdated and rather incomplete inventories she had. Bottles were listed that had been consumed and dozens of the sale bottles had not been listed. She is sharp at 79, but there have been errors starting with the inventory which I discovered just prior to the sale. There were errors I found just yesterday which we both made Monday, after pulling the wines and organizing the orders. I do not want to tell any of you I have your wines and then disappoint you due to an error. I believe that is worse than not hearing at all, as I see it.
-Physically, the cellar is small, cramped and I am wearing in a headlamp to see the more difficult bins. The corner bins are a hazard with openings barely large enough for a bottle and a hand, yet large enough to hold two cases--unique space utilizing design.
-When the inventory has the wrong bin number listed, it is a time consuming problem with about 70 bins and case stacks in front of the racks. Temperatures are too warm outside the cellar to leave the case out by the hour.
-These are irreplaceable bottles and labels so I move cautiously. The last bottle I broke was in the early 1990's, but it left a lasting impression as only a 1959 Ch Latour can!
Please bear with us.

I will be driving back up there on Friday to wrap the sale up. We had a full day in the cellar Monday, but that was not enough time. Please be aware I have other business concerns to deal with as well.

You all need to know that the majority of the wines sold in the first one minute, thank you once again to all the early bidders, BUT it was not fair to the community as a whole, as I see it...
Therefore, I am announcing there will be a second offering of the wines I deliberately did not include in the sale. There are lots of interesting wines remaining which I am going to offer to those folks who got skunked, or only got a bottle or two of their multiple requests because they did not have adequate time to look over the list, do their research and to order because of their schedules. Curator's Cellar Part Two will be offered to those folks first via their email addresses. It will take place on a Saturday and have a strict start time as well.
So if you are disappointed, now I will try to make it fair in February.

Thank you for your understanding.
ITB

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by ykwon » February 1st, 2017, 12:59 pm

Richard thank you for the update. Really appreciate everything you've been doing!
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » February 1st, 2017, 1:23 pm

I also appreciate the update! If the two Hanzell fall my way I am happy to share one of the bottles with another here as I have had the wine once before.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Rich Brown » February 1st, 2017, 1:34 pm

Another thank you for the update here.

Looking forward to hearing if I was able to secure any of the wines I bid on!

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by ykwon » February 1st, 2017, 1:35 pm

Glenn, Charlie sniped us all. I believe he got the hanzell
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » February 1st, 2017, 2:03 pm

Above Fu said he snagged a single bottle, the lot was 3 bottles of 74 Hanzell if memory serves.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Danny L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Danny L. » February 1st, 2017, 4:34 pm

Received my email from Richard. I'm happy that I got 3/4 bottles.
L = Lo

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » February 1st, 2017, 4:37 pm

I very happily got four bottles, including a 1974 Hanzell PN. I'll have to open that during a visit to the estate I think.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#73 Post by c fu » February 1st, 2017, 4:52 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:I very happily got four bottles, including a 1974 Hanzell PN. I'll have to open that during a visit to the estate I think.
that will be a fun wine.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » February 1st, 2017, 5:19 pm

Bring that baby to Sonoma and we can split a sitter for a nice visit there man.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Rich Brown » February 1st, 2017, 5:53 pm

Just heard from Richard, and very happy to have won 3 of the 4 bottles I bid on!

Jason S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by Jason S. » February 1st, 2017, 6:36 pm

Very happy that I got 3/4, given my late email: Two '89 sparklings, the Roederer L'Ermitage and J. Schram, and the '75 Sterling Reserve. Sounds like the Roederer is likely dead, but there's a positive note from 2012 on CT re: the J. Schram, so I'm hopeful.
J. Sand ers on

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by ykwon » February 2nd, 2017, 7:20 am

Got a message from Richard this morning. Only got 1/3 of what I requested. Missed out on all wines from the 70's. Got the 86/96/97 SO. Still pretty happy that I was able to reel in something.
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

Bryan Cottriel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Bryan Cottriel » February 2nd, 2017, 7:41 am

I heard from Richard and only won 1/5 I wanted. '79 Stags Leap.

Chris Tuttle
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Chris Tuttle » February 2nd, 2017, 7:59 am

Anybody go after any of the 1969's or 74's? Just curious.

Haven't heard anything yet.

Mike Levin

#80 Post by Mike Levin » February 2nd, 2017, 8:05 am

Just got my email. Was able to snag 1 of 4. Got the 1993 Charles Heidsieck, and missed out on '76/'90 Mondavi and '91 Heitz Martha's.

Definitely looking forward to the second wave sale.

David_S

#81 Post by David_S » February 2nd, 2017, 9:15 am

Got my email, got the '77 Chappellet
Spr3ch3r

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » February 2nd, 2017, 9:45 am

Got email. Got zero as expected. Looking forward to Pt. II!
Cheers,
Paul

Jason L Jones
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by Jason L Jones » February 2nd, 2017, 10:24 am

Got 1/6 - the 90 Mondavi. Happy to get anything at all and looking forward to Part 2.

Jon D a h l f o r s

#84 Post by Jon D a h l f o r s » February 2nd, 2017, 10:47 am

Got 1/2 - 92 Clos du Val for my sister's birth year

CliftonD

#85 Post by CliftonD » February 2nd, 2017, 12:20 pm

Got 0/8 but was offered 5 consolation bottles that were unlisted!
D - o - n - g

Jeff Twersky

#86 Post by Jeff Twersky » February 2nd, 2017, 12:49 pm

Got 2/5. Both petite sirah, a grape that usually has a long life, and should be delicious. Missed out on a couple of the Schramsbergs, as expected.

Matthew B

#87 Post by Matthew B » February 2nd, 2017, 12:50 pm

I got my email and received one bottle. I didn't see anything about when he would be posting the second portion of the seller. Did I miss something?
Matt Beckman
thecoastalcraft.com

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#88 Post by c fu » February 2nd, 2017, 12:59 pm

Matthew B wrote:I got my email and received one bottle. I didn't see anything about when he would be posting the second portion of the seller. Did I miss something?
Look up a handful of posts.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Matthew B

#89 Post by Matthew B » February 2nd, 2017, 1:15 pm

Thanks Fu...got the 1961 Jaboulet-Isnard Cote Rotie...eager to see what it reveals
Matt Beckman
thecoastalcraft.com

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by Rich Brown » February 2nd, 2017, 3:17 pm

Jeff Twersky wrote:Got 2/5. Both petite sirah, a grape that usually has a long life, and should be delicious. Missed out on a couple of the Schramsbergs, as expected.
Nice Jeff! I bid on the majority of the CA 'Burgundy' for the same reason and won a few of them (assuming they're mostly PS and other more obscure grapes)

Love old CA burgundy and have been pleasantly surprised by many I've found. Have to see when I receive mine if I'll attempt to drink any or keep them for the history.

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Wes Barton » February 3rd, 2017, 1:51 am

Rich Brown wrote:
Jeff Twersky wrote:Got 2/5. Both petite sirah, a grape that usually has a long life, and should be delicious. Missed out on a couple of the Schramsbergs, as expected.
Nice Jeff! I bid on the majority of the CA 'Burgundy' for the same reason and won a few of them (assuming they're mostly PS and other more obscure grapes)

Love old CA burgundy and have been pleasantly surprised by many I've found. Have to see when I receive mine if I'll attempt to drink any or keep them for the history.
Ones I've had that listed their make-up were Carignane dominant field blends, like 50% more or less, with 30-40% Zin and maybe 10% PS, sometimes a little something else in the mix.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by Rich Brown » February 3rd, 2017, 8:02 am

Wes Barton wrote:
Rich Brown wrote:

Ones I've had that listed their make-up were Carignane dominant field blends, like 50% more or less, with 30-40% Zin and maybe 10% PS, sometimes a little something else in the mix.
Yep Wes, that's what's fun about these old burgundy wines - you typically never know exactly what's in them. Most I've had are not labeled but I've heard they're often PS heavy, and a couple that have been labeled (old Charles Krug) were predominately Gamay Noir.

Total crap shoot most of the time but once in a while they pay off and are awesome.

Brad T

#93 Post by Brad T » February 4th, 2017, 2:25 am

Hi- I'm looking for the part two of this thread? Does anyone have a link? Thanks in advance
T h o r e s o n

Matthew B

#94 Post by Matthew B » February 4th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Anyone hear from Richard today? Wondering by if should be still waiting and watching my email for the second list. Thanks
Matt Beckman
thecoastalcraft.com

Richard Albert

#95 Post by Richard Albert » February 4th, 2017, 2:03 pm

I am working on getting the Part One sales paid for, picked up at the cellar and then delivered/shipped. Part 2 as mentioned above will possibly be on a Saturday in February, I am considering the 25th, but it may require a March date due to my other business projects.
I need to inventory the remainder of the cellar which is several hundred more bottles and inspect each one, so you know the bottle conditions of what you are pursuing. I then will create an organized list with descriptions and pricing and finally email it out to the specific groups of buyers as mentioned above.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as this is time consuming project.
Last edited by Richard Albert on February 4th, 2017, 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ITB

Matthew B

#96 Post by Matthew B » February 4th, 2017, 2:11 pm

Thanks Richard!
Matt Beckman
thecoastalcraft.com

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#97 Post by c fu » February 24th, 2017, 2:25 pm

got my btls!! The california wines look in amazing condition and all descriptions were 100% accurate.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by brigcampbell » February 24th, 2017, 2:36 pm

c fu wrote:got my btls!! The california wines look in amazing condition and all descriptions were 100% accurate.
Got mine too, '78 chevalier and '64 martini Cali cab. They're gifts from the widow for helping her that she personally picked out for me. Very thoughtful. Completely unnecessarily but totally appreciated. (FYI - I didn't request/email as part of BD)

The '64 is my wife's birth year. Todd French and I have already hatched a plan to drink it as neither of your SO like old dirty wines. I'll post a note in the next month.
Attachments
IMAG2326.jpg
IMAG2326.jpg (26.51 KiB) Viewed 2076 times

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#99 Post by c fu » February 24th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Got a 78 Diamond Creek with a $12.50 price tag on it.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Richard Albert

#100 Post by Richard Albert » February 25th, 2017, 8:23 am

Heading up to the cellar on Monday to inventory the cellar for Curator Part 2.
I waited for Wanda to finish her initial recuperation after knee replacement surgery 10 days ago.
Please bear with me, it will eventually take shape with many more bottles to consider.
Thanks
ITB

Return to “BerserkerDay VIII (January 27, 2017)”