BerserkerDay VIII planning discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

Warm up your credit cards and come on in, as here is where you will find all the BerserkerDay offers - open to EVERYONE who loves wine. Apologize to your spouse or significant other ahead of time. Offers are posted in groups of 10-12 every 30 minutes - Auctions preview at 9:00 am PST
Message
Author
User avatar
Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2379
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017) SEE UPDATES LAST POST

#101 Post by Robert M yers » November 28th, 2016, 9:33 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Andrew - I've solved the problem (outlined in the first post) of offers getting buried. I haven't yet solved the problem of those who end up with a (randomly generated) launch time late in the day, when, presumably, all the money is gone.
Just some quick thoughts...

How about launching each offer only for discussion at set intervals throughout the day, this will keep the excitement and talk up all day long. Then pick a go time where all offers are officially live at the same time.

Maybe find a way to do a slow reveal on offers that are up coming...the closer the offer creeps to the top the more of the title is revealed? After the offer reaches the top and has its moment then it goes to the bottom. (Once all are revealed flip the order back to best on top) The best offers could be picked by you to be revealed last, which would lead to more, "if that was this good, I can't wait to see what's next" talk. That way the 10%ers are revealed early and anticipation for the big deals grows all day.

User avatar
Peter Simpson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 720
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 12:03 pm
Location: Bakersfield, CA

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#102 Post by Peter Simpson » November 29th, 2016, 3:07 pm

Let me just point out not everyone has the ability or desire to sit on WineBerserkers all day and wait with baited breath for the next offer to come rolling out. [wink.gif]

I'm all in favor of keeping it simple, so just give advance notice of when the offers are going to come on-line, and then I can make time available as needed.
Cheers, Peter

User avatar
AndrewH
Posts: 2359
Joined: May 14th, 2010, 1:34 pm

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#103 Post by AndrewH » November 29th, 2016, 4:33 pm

Peter Simpson wrote:Let me just point out not everyone has the ability or desire to sit on WineBerserkers all day and wait with baited breath for the next offer to come rolling out. [wink.gif]

I'm all in favor of keeping it simple, so just give advance notice of when the offers are going to come on-line, and then I can make time available as needed.
+1. Understand some offers may be gone by the time I check back, but over-gamifying it seems unhelpful.
Andrew H e i m e r t

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7549
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#104 Post by Scott Butler » November 30th, 2016, 6:57 am

I didn't have the time to read all 3 pages here, but I'll offer opinion based on what I did read.

Going to a multi day event doesn't solve the "late offers" issue. if my wallet is tired at the end of day 1, it will still be tired on day 2.

IMO, you really only have 2 options here:
(1) Current process, later offers suffer from wallet fatigue.
(2) Put them all out at once, the fever pitch doesn't last as long.

For me, I am fine either way I appreciate the efforts and offers. If forced to pick, I like fair (option 2) more than all day party (option 1)...but I certainly understand the desire to keep the party rolling.

And yes, I support the idea of no thread bumps. if someone comments on thread #1, it doesn't move from bottom to top.

I don't care either way about the category thing, do it if you want to.

Regardless on how you do it, thanks for doing it!
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan
ITB

cepotts
Posts: 287
Joined: July 9th, 2010, 4:24 pm
Location: DC metro area

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#105 Post by cepotts » November 30th, 2016, 10:33 am

Todd,

Encourage all participants to come up with at least two offers. Then when you assign their random number for the day, their first offer corresponds with the number they drew and their second offer has to wait until their number comes back around, but in inverse order. If any participants only want to offer one offer then they knowingly accept whatever position they draw.

Using this method, whomever draws the first position benefits greatly by having the very first offer, which is offset by their second offer going dead last. By the same token, whomever draws the lowest number position actually ends up with both of their offers smack dab in the middle.

You could also encourage multiple offers by insisting that all single offer participants only get listed after all dual-offer participant's first offers have been posted.

Furthermore, you could add a category tag to every first listing that lets berserkers know that that participant has another offer coming later that day, and so we can plan accordingly. You may even allow sellers to hint at whatever is coming in their next offer.

The only down side I see to this is - 150 participants has the potential to become 300 postings.
Craig Potts

User avatar
Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 10889
Joined: July 22nd, 2009, 6:58 pm
Location: Calistoga, Napa Valley, CA

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#106 Post by Merrill Lindquist » November 30th, 2016, 2:21 pm

I love participating and thanking people when they post that they have purchased. It keeps it fun for me, and gives people the opportunity to ask questions and receive answers realtime. My daughter and I had so much fun with it 2 years ago...she got to see the work from that side.

I would say let us not overthink it. And please, make the auction short and therefore filled with excitement and a bit of frenzy. Last year we missed that (although Chuck Miller bid a very nice figure, I hand delivered, and we went to dinner - which was awesome).
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4162
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 9:02 am

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#107 Post by Siun o'Connell » November 30th, 2016, 9:00 pm

+1 to Merrill's "don't overthink" ... some of the options make me exhausted just reading them.

I do like the idea of a separate thread or section just for newcomers ... and I like the food together at the end but otherwise it's already so great!

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7549
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#108 Post by Scott Butler » December 1st, 2016, 5:18 am

If you don't want to post everything at the same time, what about posting all of the offers at the same time, let people go crazy for a few hours, then do the auctions? It will keep the partty going, plus I feel like the auction folks have deeper wallets, so it won't matter of they have already bought some stuff.

Just offering ideas, anything is fine for me!
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan
ITB

CraigE.
Posts: 30
Joined: January 6th, 2016, 4:40 pm

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#109 Post by CraigE. » December 1st, 2016, 9:29 am

cepotts wrote:Todd,

Encourage all participants to come up with at least two offers. Then when you assign their random number for the day, their first offer corresponds with the number they drew and their second offer has to wait until their number comes back around, but in inverse order. If any participants only want to offer one offer then they knowingly accept whatever position they draw.

Using this method, whomever draws the first position benefits greatly by having the very first offer, which is offset by their second offer going dead last. By the same token, whomever draws the lowest number position actually ends up with both of their offers smack dab in the middle.

You could also encourage multiple offers by insisting that all single offer participants only get listed after all dual-offer participant's first offers have been posted.

Furthermore, you could add a category tag to every first listing that lets berserkers know that that participant has another offer coming later that day, and so we can plan accordingly. You may even allow sellers to hint at whatever is coming in their next offer.

The only down side I see to this is - 150 participants has the potential to become 300 postings.
One major problem I see with this strategy is factoring shipping costs when someone may want both offers from a single vendor. Would shipping costs be doubled if shipping is $x per order? Could be burdensome on vendors to combine orders. What if it is a flat amount when you buy one or both offers and the buyer factors this into their purchase decision during the first offer purchase assuming they will want to buy both but cannot secure the 2nd offer or does not like the second offer? Just some thoughts.
Craig E t t e l m a n

User avatar
Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9062
Joined: October 28th, 2012, 2:40 pm
Location: North Burbs Chicago Illinois

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#110 Post by Joe B » December 1st, 2016, 11:46 am

Why not just make them stickies so they can't move from their assigned time slot as posted.
J W@ll @ce

User avatar
e chin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2772
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 2:23 pm
Location: The Bay Area

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#111 Post by e chin » December 2nd, 2016, 10:22 pm

Todd excuse me if this has been mentioned already since I haven't read the entire thread, but what is your highest priority for WBDay? Is it exposure to the new wineries, offers getting lost to page 2... Solve priority #1 and the rest will fall as they may. You can't please everyone so don't bother.
Ed

“if you're comfortable with your passions and opinions, you shouldn't feel the need to convince other people that they're wrong” Tim Fish

User avatar
Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 884
Joined: September 21st, 2013, 11:05 am
Location: New York, NY

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#112 Post by Er€z _ L. » December 8th, 2016, 11:54 am

How about regional HQ tasting/party areas? something like buy and taste, or buy and drink?
£ € n c n @ r

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38788
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#113 Post by Todd F r e n c h » December 8th, 2016, 12:05 pm

Er€z _ L. wrote:How about regional HQ tasting/party areas? something like buy and taste, or buy and drink?
We've discussed that in the past, but it's never come to fruition. I think it takes a LOT of organization, getting the groups together, getting the wines to someone in the group, etc.

If someone wants to head up such a project, I'm guessing plenty of wineries would be willing to send a sample pack for such an event
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 884
Joined: September 21st, 2013, 11:05 am
Location: New York, NY

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#114 Post by Er€z _ L. » December 8th, 2016, 12:16 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Er€z _ L. wrote:How about regional HQ tasting/party areas? something like buy and taste, or buy and drink?
We've discussed that in the past, but it's never come to fruition. I think it takes a LOT of organization, getting the groups together, getting the wines to someone in the group, etc.

If someone wants to head up such a project, I'm guessing plenty of wineries would be willing to send a sample pack for such an event
Given that it is a Friday, I am willing to consider a day off and looking into that in the NY area. I'd rather not ask wineries for samples before we have an idea of where/how/when to organize that. I'm open for input re: location and times. That said, I'd rather have a new place (Aka not PDH, NYers...)
£ € n c n @ r

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38788
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#115 Post by Todd F r e n c h » December 8th, 2016, 12:30 pm

Er€z _ L. wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Er€z _ L. wrote:How about regional HQ tasting/party areas? something like buy and taste, or buy and drink?
We've discussed that in the past, but it's never come to fruition. I think it takes a LOT of organization, getting the groups together, getting the wines to someone in the group, etc.

If someone wants to head up such a project, I'm guessing plenty of wineries would be willing to send a sample pack for such an event
Given that it is a Friday, I am willing to consider a day off and looking into that in the NY area. I'd rather not ask wineries for samples before we have an idea of where/how/when to organize that. I'm open for input re: location and times. That said, I'd rather have a new place (Aka not PDH, NYers...)
But the events where the tastings are held will be different dates, different areas - I think you have to organize groups, get group leaders to assign a date and time when there's enough interest in that area, and then you'd need at LEAST two weeks notice to wineries to send out the sample packs, so that they could be transported, then the event, then the notes, etc. - all would have to be done likely the weekend before BerserkerDay
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
Carole Meredith
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 290
Joined: May 4th, 2009, 8:57 am
Location: Mount Veeder, Napa

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#116 Post by Carole Meredith » December 8th, 2016, 2:21 pm

Phew! I just read through the whole thread [wow.gif]

We've been participating in BerserkerDay since 2011. It's always been an amazing experience. I try to clear my calendar for that day and just enjoy the crazy ride. And we plan to participate again this time, probably with 2 offers, but we haven't yet figured out exactly what they're going to be.

I'll go along with whatever format Todd decides to adopt. That being said, I do kind of enjoy the chaos. There's nothing else like BerserkerDay [berserker.gif] [dance-clap.gif] grouphug

Carole
Carole Meredith
Lagier Meredith Vineyard
Mount Veeder, Napa

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1867
Joined: February 11th, 2009, 11:40 am
Location: Portland, OR

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#117 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » December 8th, 2016, 6:56 pm

What Carole said. Happy to be part of it again this year no matter how it's set up. Just need to figure out my offer this year!
Vincent - ITB

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6338
Joined: August 28th, 2010, 3:35 pm

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#118 Post by Michael Martin » December 8th, 2016, 7:06 pm

Are we there yet? I want to buy some of these folks' wines.

User avatar
Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 884
Joined: September 21st, 2013, 11:05 am
Location: New York, NY

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#119 Post by Er€z _ L. » December 8th, 2016, 7:10 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Er€z _ L. wrote:/snip/

...
But the events where the tastings are held will be different dates, different areas - I think you have to organize groups, get group leaders to assign a date and time when there's enough interest in that area, and then you'd need at LEAST two weeks notice to wineries to send out the sample packs, so that they could be transported, then the event, then the notes, etc. - all would have to be done likely the weekend before BerserkerDay

Okay, clearly too complicated for such short notice. So, put it off the table. Maybe in a future BD event [cheers.gif]
£ € n c n @ r

User avatar
Edward H. Earles
Posts: 782
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 8:07 am

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#120 Post by Edward H. Earles » December 12th, 2016, 2:44 pm

Image

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8799
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#121 Post by Scott Brunson » December 13th, 2016, 5:47 pm

Vincent Fritzsche wrote:What Carole said. Happy to be part of it again this year no matter how it's set up. Just need to figure out my offer this year!
Well, you've already got my credit card info...
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Scott Everson
Posts: 496
Joined: November 14th, 2014, 12:25 am
Location: People's Republic of Portland

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#122 Post by Scott Everson » December 14th, 2016, 3:22 pm

Whatever Todd wants to do is how it should go down.

He should take a tiny cut of the action.

I like the idea of grouping categories, especially if we could make a California Pinot category so I could ignore that one entirely.

No PG Berserker Cuvée?!? At least my six pack of '14 Cuvée showed up today. Thanks Jim/Margaret

User avatar
Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 10889
Joined: July 22nd, 2009, 6:58 pm
Location: Calistoga, Napa Valley, CA

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#123 Post by Merrill Lindquist » December 14th, 2016, 6:35 pm

So, I have solidified my offer in my mind, based on my inventories and pricing guarantees. I will not have an e-commerce website operating on that day. It will be an offer put up by Todd at a time he feels appropriate. When my targeted (available) supplies run out, the offer will be pulled. Anyone who submits an email purchase request on that day, and receives a personal confirmation from me, will be guaranteed a purchase/delivery. Exchange of credit card information between the buyer and me will be personal. The amount of followup I have to do to ship when my customers want to be shipped, and with current credit card info, has necessitated this kind of contact anyway. In order to grow, make, and sell my Cabernet at the prices I do means I am not ready to hire on help and right now I am not ready to move to the more expensive e-commerce possibilities.

People can expect a similar offering to last year's: 3 vintages at one price, and 2 of each for a more pencil-sharp price. If anyone wants to update their credit card info with me in advance, that would streamline things.

Some people have expressed interest in another offering of older wines. I am looking at this. My Library is pretty thin these days, but I have everything I have ever made.

Looking forward to it - I hope Todd does not limit posts by the wineries during the day. I do not do it to "bump" my offer - I do it because that is part of my participation and makes it fun for me.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

User avatar
Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP
Posts: 3958
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 2:34 am
Location: Ugijar (GRANADA) Spain and Dayton, Ohio

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#124 Post by Nola Palomar » December 15th, 2016, 4:17 am

As far as the format, I am with Carole, Merrill and Vincent whatever the final decision Todd takes is fine with me. I do like the idea of a sticky at the top of the thread with clickable links to the offers that have been posted. Perhaps listing all of them and once they are live then they are a clickable link...if one sells out then it could be deactivated.
I do like the idea of organizing it bit, but as Carole stated, I also enjoy the chaos. I have been a bit less active in the forum as a whole as 2016 has been a difficult year for me personally but I am here and I follow along even though I am posting less.

I am in for the wines and gourmets this year. I've redesigned the EVOO label again and finally have new dark bottles...I also found a local source for some spices and herbs that will pair quite nicely with my Veleta EVOO! I am ramping up my website and preparing for the festivities of our annual BERSERKER DAY!!!
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain


Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

User avatar
Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1329
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 9:42 am
Location: Kennett Square, PA

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#125 Post by Jeff Vaughan » December 15th, 2016, 1:24 pm

Nola, I hope 2017 is better for you. My wife and I love your oil. That is the one thing I will be ordering for sure!
CT: outplaying

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21305
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#126 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 15th, 2016, 5:06 pm

My first purchase will be sardines!

I'm drooling just thinking about it.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38788
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#127 Post by Todd F r e n c h » December 17th, 2016, 8:49 am

I hope to get some final thoughts put down this week - been a whirlwind start to December and I'm SUPPOSED to have a vacation coming up. Brig will be coming over to help hammer everything out, and I plan to send out some info soon to all those who plan to participate as a seller on BerserkerDay, via Private Message

I find it interesting and mildly amusing that so many say 'whatever Todd says goes!' as I truly want feedback from all sides, as I have received here. It's an event for the community, so why not get some community input? :)
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 691
Joined: June 10th, 2016, 5:00 pm

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#128 Post by NickRut » December 17th, 2016, 2:12 pm

Will we know all of the offers and participants beforehand or do you just wait and find out as they go live? This will be my first go-around with this
Rutkowski

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 138
Joined: January 26th, 2013, 3:11 pm
Location: BURGHen County, NJ

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#129 Post by TGigante » December 17th, 2016, 3:27 pm

NickRut wrote:Will we know all of the offers and participants beforehand or do you just wait and find out as they go live? This will be my first go-around with this
Nick - Become a subscriber of WB for $25 and you can view and purchase Berserker Business members' offers the day before (click on Berserker Businesses up top to see who they are, most post offers on BD) .

On BD, the offers come one at at time or a few at a time unscheduled and unannounced in advance other than participants posting "we are in again" an such in various threads.

Read through this thread in full to get a picture of what has happened in the past and potential changes. Look at last year's thread as well for tips.

It's a blast. Bring your credits cards fully loaded
Cheers,
Tony

jeff davidson
Posts: 7
Joined: December 22nd, 2016, 8:25 pm

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#130 Post by jeff davidson » December 24th, 2016, 2:10 pm

new to this and I'm sure not entirely understanding the issues. I wonder if a different interface might make more sense. Maybe a map of the country (or world) with colored dots representing current (green), upcoming in an hour (yellow) and upcoming in greater than an hour (red) offers. Hover the mouse over the dot and see the basics of the offer. Click on the dot and it navigates to the forum thread. It might also be possible to have the hover text include number of replies in thread. Using this interface, offers are not buried and information can be seen for each offer.

I retired a couple of months ago, could build something like this pretty easily but prolly not for jan 27. If the interface failed for some reason, users would just use the forum directly, no harm, no foul.

User avatar
brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12945
Joined: April 7th, 2010, 12:17 pm
Location: Mission Viejo, CA

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#131 Post by brigcampbell » December 24th, 2016, 3:47 pm

Welcome Jeff, get ready!

BTW - a little elf told me the Todd has ironed out the final details for this year's event. It strikes a good balance preserving the craziness which is so important and focus on gaining exposure for those up and comers.

Personally, I've made a commitment to purchasing at least two producers new to me and obviously I'll be relying on the recommendations of the WB community.

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8799
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#132 Post by Scott Brunson » December 27th, 2016, 7:34 am

brigcampbell wrote:Welcome Jeff, get ready!

BTW - a little elf told me the Todd has ironed out the final details for this year's event. It strikes a good balance preserving the craziness which is so important and focus on gaining exposure for those up and comers.

Personally, I've made a commitment to purchasing at least two producers new to me and obviously I'll be relying on the recommendations of the WB community.
Maison Ilan offer this year? [berserker.gif]
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

User avatar
Joe S.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 936
Joined: January 18th, 2013, 8:31 pm
Location: DFW Metroplex

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#133 Post by Joe S. » December 28th, 2016, 3:54 am

Scott Brunson wrote:
brigcampbell wrote:Welcome Jeff, get ready!

BTW - a little elf told me the Todd has ironed out the final details for this year's event. It strikes a good balance preserving the craziness which is so important and focus on gaining exposure for those up and comers.

Personally, I've made a commitment to purchasing at least two producers new to me and obviously I'll be relying on the recommendations of the WB community.
Maison Ilan offer this year? [berserker.gif]
Yes, but futures only! [cheers.gif]
-- J. 'eS-eye-dee-dee-ay-eL-eL-
BornToRhone (CT)

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8799
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#134 Post by Scott Brunson » December 28th, 2016, 6:17 am

^
Maybe Todd should just promise to post an offer and ask us to be patient for it to show up.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

User avatar
Andrew Morris
Posts: 1327
Joined: July 26th, 2010, 11:31 pm
Location: Southern Humboldt, CA

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#135 Post by Andrew Morris » December 31st, 2016, 10:29 pm

Scott Everson wrote:...I like the idea of grouping categories, especially if we could make a California Pinot category so I could ignore that one entirely...
One of the nice things about BD is being surprised about what is out there. Not question your view of what you like, but keep in mind CA is a big state.

Can you be sure that you should paint it with one brush?

Have you tasted any Pinot Noir grown in Humboldt County yet?
Andrew Morris

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2768
Joined: October 7th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Location: Portland, OR

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#136 Post by dsGriswold » January 1st, 2017, 11:43 am

Andrew I like Humbolt, it's almost Oregon. [oops.gif]
DennisG

User avatar
Andrew Morris
Posts: 1327
Joined: July 26th, 2010, 11:31 pm
Location: Southern Humboldt, CA

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#137 Post by Andrew Morris » January 1st, 2017, 3:20 pm

dsGriswold wrote:Andrew I like Humbolt, it's almost Oregon. [oops.gif]
Well, some say we are too far north to be part of the CA wine scene... Technically too far north to part of north coast.

When my folks started research into planting in the 70's, most were convinced wine could not be grown here. newhere
Andrew Morris

User avatar
Freelon F Hunter
Posts: 61
Joined: January 1st, 2013, 8:56 pm

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#138 Post by Freelon F Hunter » January 2nd, 2017, 2:14 pm

Enjoyed trying your 2013 wines this past year, Andrew. Excellent QPR for a Pinot, some nice notes on CT.

User avatar
Andrew Morris
Posts: 1327
Joined: July 26th, 2010, 11:31 pm
Location: Southern Humboldt, CA

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#139 Post by Andrew Morris » January 3rd, 2017, 12:29 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:EDITING FIRST POST TO REFLECT SOME CHANGES BASED ON COMMUNITY DISCUSSION

Hey Berserkers! It's time to start the discussion about BerserkerDay, this one being the EIGHTH! [wow.gif] Snip...

Categories: This year, threads will have thread icons that represent (primarily) what is in them: Pinot, Rhone Varietals, White Wines, Bordeaux Varietals/Blends, Food, Everything Else, and Newbies. Remember a LOT of forum darlings were discovered on BerserkerDay, and as such, I'm paying particular homage to 'newbies', allowing a fixed number - not yet determined - and making sure we have ample time devoted to them and sufficient descriptions of the winery, owners, winemakers, etc, encouraging as much discussion on each as possible. In addition we'll have a brief intro, forumwide, for the Newbie wineries, so they can introduce themselves in a special area that all can see the day before, get a little history, perhaps start discussions, but without any offers posted until the official opening. Snip...
I am very much looking forward to participating B-Day this year! It has been a great event for Briceland in terms of becoming more known to wine nuts outside of our tiny corner of Far North CA. I really appreciate everyone who works on making it happen, particularly Todd!

I am working on my offer, and it will likely contain Zins, Syrahs, Pinots, and Whites, some separately and some mixed. It may contain some BDX as well. Similar to my past offers. How will that work with the system as it is being set up this time? If I knew how the categories were defined, I could design several offers around them, or?

Thanks, Freelon, for your comments. I appreciate the feedback. Do you post on CT and if so, can you tell me your handle?
Andrew Morris

User avatar
Seo S a l i m i
Posts: 849
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 5:23 pm
Location: NY

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#140 Post by Seo S a l i m i » January 3rd, 2017, 11:17 am

Carole Meredith wrote:Phew! I just read through the whole thread [wow.gif]

We've been participating in BerserkerDay since 2011. It's always been an amazing experience. I try to clear my calendar for that day and just enjoy the crazy ride. And we plan to participate again this time, probably with 2 offers, but we haven't yet figured out exactly what they're going to be.

I'll go along with whatever format Todd decides to adopt. That being said, I do kind of enjoy the chaos. There's nothing else like BerserkerDay [berserker.gif] [dance-clap.gif] grouphug

Carole
Please please please do the magnum offering again. I just opened the 06 magnum I got last year over the weekend, and it was stunning.

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38788
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#141 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 3rd, 2017, 11:44 am

I've moved this to the BerserkerDay forum so we can start moving some traffic over here as well. On Jan 20th, all the Newbie offers will have an introductory thread, where they can introduce themselves, their winery, their winemaking styles, etc, in an effort for the community to learn a bit about them prior to the posted offers on BerserkerDay
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
M Hoose
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 117
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 1:21 pm
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#142 Post by M Hoose » January 3rd, 2017, 11:55 am

Seo S a l i m i wrote:
Carole Meredith wrote:Phew! I just read through the whole thread [wow.gif]

We've been participating in BerserkerDay since 2011. It's always been an amazing experience. I try to clear my calendar for that day and just enjoy the crazy ride. And we plan to participate again this time, probably with 2 offers, but we haven't yet figured out exactly what they're going to be.

I'll go along with whatever format Todd decides to adopt. That being said, I do kind of enjoy the chaos. There's nothing else like BerserkerDay [berserker.gif] [dance-clap.gif] grouphug

Carole
Please please please do the magnum offering again. I just opened the 06 magnum I got last year over the weekend, and it was stunning.

Just open my 06 as well....what a thrill!!
Michael

CT: sbfireman

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 648
Joined: November 16th, 2015, 6:15 pm

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#143 Post by Jim F » January 3rd, 2017, 5:31 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:I've moved this to the BerserkerDay forum so we can start moving some traffic over here as well. On Jan 20th, all the Newbie offers will have an introductory thread, where they can introduce themselves, their winery, their winemaking styles, etc, in an effort for the community to learn a bit about them prior to the posted offers on BerserkerDay
I like that!
Jim Freeman

User avatar
Edward H. Earles
Posts: 782
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 8:07 am

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#144 Post by Edward H. Earles » January 5th, 2017, 6:34 am

Is Cabot participating this year?

User avatar
donhagge
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 2
Joined: December 28th, 2016, 10:09 pm
Location: 17425 NE Hillside Drive, Newberg, OR 97132

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#145 Post by donhagge » January 5th, 2017, 6:39 am

I'm a Newbie and don't yet understand how to take advantage of BerserkerDay. I have lots of very good wines I'd like to move if possible. What's the quickest way to get up to speed? Don
DonVidon

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38788
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#146 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 5th, 2017, 9:19 am

donhagge wrote:I'm a Newbie and don't yet understand how to take advantage of BerserkerDay. I have lots of very good wines I'd like to move if possible. What's the quickest way to get up to speed? Don
There's no 'quick way' really - read the first post in the thread here http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 4#p2144684 and also perhaps take a look at last year's results and discussions, via this forum http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=56

Give yourself 20 minutes or so and you'll have an idea how it goes. As a winery making an offer, you'll be on the forum which you've been sent a link, and see what other wineries have already posted (it's not a public forum yet), and be sure to start your Newbie introduction in the thusly-named forum of which you have access as well
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

JesseC
Posts: 180
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 1:12 pm
Location: Studio City, CA

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#147 Post by JesseC » January 5th, 2017, 2:32 pm

Todd, not sure if you're still gathering feedback, but would it be too blasphemous to move auctions to a separate day? It seems like a few comments mentioned people being cash-strapped or over it by the end of the day; maybe if the auctions were moved to the next day (a weekend) then the winery offers would be able to get everyone's full attention on Friday, and then by auction day everyone would know exactly what they've already spent and be able to bid on what they want. Would also allow them to run for more time, and not lose out on possible interest if people aren't able to stick around on Friday evening due to other plans.

Thanks for always looking for ways to make a great time even better. Cheers
Jesse_Collins

Jean Hoefliger
Posts: 164
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:24 am

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#148 Post by Jean Hoefliger » January 5th, 2017, 4:56 pm

champagne.gif Big things from JH Collection coming this year! January 27th, the day I love discovering new producers.

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38788
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#149 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 6th, 2017, 12:36 pm

JesseC wrote:Todd, not sure if you're still gathering feedback, but would it be too blasphemous to move auctions to a separate day? It seems like a few comments mentioned people being cash-strapped or over it by the end of the day; maybe if the auctions were moved to the next day (a weekend) then the winery offers would be able to get everyone's full attention on Friday, and then by auction day everyone would know exactly what they've already spent and be able to bid on what they want. Would also allow them to run for more time, and not lose out on possible interest if people aren't able to stick around on Friday evening due to other plans.

Thanks for always looking for ways to make a great time even better. Cheers
It's a good idea, honestly, but the auctions do seem to go ok each year. Would the next day suddenly free up a lot of extra cash, you think?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1937
Joined: October 8th, 2011, 8:48 am

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#150 Post by mattcitrang » January 6th, 2017, 12:42 pm

Jean Hoefliger wrote:Big things from JH Collection coming this year! January 27th, the day I love discovering new producers.
Fantastic!

Locked

Return to “BerserkerDay VIII (January 27, 2017)”