BerserkerDay VIII planning discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

Warm up your credit cards and come on in, as here is where you will find all the BerserkerDay offers - open to EVERYONE who loves wine. Apologize to your spouse or significant other ahead of time. Offers are posted in groups of 10-12 every 30 minutes - Auctions preview at 9:00 am PST
Andrew Morris

BerserkerDay VIII discussion (Jan 27, 2017)

#151 Post by Andrew Morris » January 6th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
JesseC wrote:Todd, not sure if you're still gathering feedback, but would it be too blasphemous to move auctions to a separate day? It seems like a few comments mentioned people being cash-strapped or over it by the end of the day; maybe if the auctions were moved to the next day (a weekend) then the winery offers would be able to get everyone's full attention on Friday, and then by auction day everyone would know exactly what they've already spent and be able to bid on what they want. Would also allow them to run for more time, and not lose out on possible interest if people aren't able to stick around on Friday evening due to other plans.

Thanks for always looking for ways to make a great time even better. Cheers
It's a good idea, honestly, but the auctions do seem to go ok each year. Would the next day suddenly free up a lot of extra cash, you think?
I don't think the next day would free up cash. I do think perhaps a little longer pause between the end of regular offers and the start of auctions would help whoever are the last few to have offers on the schedule. It seemed to me that the auctions take over the action once they get started in a different way than just another offer.

Just a thought.
Andrew Morris

JesseC

#152 Post by JesseC » January 6th, 2017, 5:12 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
JesseC wrote:Todd, not sure if you're still gathering feedback, but would it be too blasphemous to move auctions to a separate day? It seems like a few comments mentioned people being cash-strapped or over it by the end of the day; maybe if the auctions were moved to the next day (a weekend) then the winery offers would be able to get everyone's full attention on Friday, and then by auction day everyone would know exactly what they've already spent and be able to bid on what they want. Would also allow them to run for more time, and not lose out on possible interest if people aren't able to stick around on Friday evening due to other plans.

Thanks for always looking for ways to make a great time even better. Cheers
It's a good idea, honestly, but the auctions do seem to go ok each year. Would the next day suddenly free up a lot of extra cash, you think?
Not really, I'd see it being more of a benefit to the wineries who come up later in the day, since one of the concerns is them not getting as much action and like Andrew mentioned above, the auctions sort of take over once they get going.
Jesse_Collins

ChrisMcElligott
GCC Member
GCC Member

#153 Post by ChrisMcElligott » January 8th, 2017, 9:10 pm

donhagge wrote:I'm a Newbie and don't yet understand how to take advantage of BerserkerDay. I have lots of very good wines I'd like to move if possible. What's the quickest way to get up to speed? Don

Awesome to see you on here Don! My wife and I visited Vidon a couple years ago. Folks he makes Lovely wines, a great guy (fascinating) beautiful property and a nice variety of varietals. Don if you put forth a nice deal Berserker Day will be great. The people on here are awesome!
Welcome

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#154 Post by brigcampbell » January 9th, 2017, 10:18 am

ChrisMcElligott wrote:
donhagge wrote:I'm a Newbie and don't yet understand how to take advantage of BerserkerDay. I have lots of very good wines I'd like to move if possible. What's the quickest way to get up to speed? Don

Awesome to see you on here Don! My wife and I visited Vidon a couple years ago. Folks he makes Lovely wines, a great guy (fascinating) beautiful property and a nice variety of varietals. Don if you put forth a nice deal Berserker Day will be great. The people on here are awesome!
Welcome
Cool, those are the kinds of recommendations that help get newbies up and running.

Feel free to jump into the offer thread on BD and post your support. Street cred is the best.

ChrisMcElligott
GCC Member
GCC Member

#155 Post by ChrisMcElligott » January 9th, 2017, 7:51 pm

brigcampbell wrote:
ChrisMcElligott wrote:

Welcome
Cool, those are the kinds of recommendations that help get newbies up and running.

Feel free to jump into the offer thread on BD and post your support. Street cred is the best.

Will do!

Rob_S

#156 Post by Rob_S » January 10th, 2017, 8:26 am

As for the last offers getting the least money and the whole grouping of offers why don't you look at spiting the whole 150 offers up into 5 groups of 30? That way you can say the following wineries/offers will be launched within this time period. You don't know when in that time period (ie. #1 or #30) but if you're looking for winery X you're going to be seeing it between 11:30 and 1:00. That insures that people that are saving money for certain offers know not to blow it before.

Then you can say next year if you were in the last 30 this year you can't be in say the last half of all offers next year and if you were in the first 30 of this year you can't be in the first 30 again next year.

For newbies if there are (to make the math easy) 25 offerings, you could say we are randomly drawing 25 existing names for Group One and 5 Newbies that will also go in Group One (to make 30 names in 5 equal groups). Then do a random draw of those 30 names for their order in that group. That way there will be equal but random amounts of Newbies throughout the offerings.
utherland

Roland Baggott

#157 Post by Roland Baggott » January 10th, 2017, 1:18 pm

I really like the idea of the offer being pinned for a short period of time and then being pushed down the list, with the list order remaining static (i.e. new discussion does not bump it up). I also like the idea of having all of the offers displayed on a single page. Doing so will make all of the offers available and easier for the participants to sort on their own. The late time slot problem poses a difficulty that is not easily remedied and may need to be relegated to an "unresolved issue" for the sellers. In the preview for the newbies, if you already know the time slot, you should state when it is slated to be released. Doing so will make it easier to be ready to buy.

Jason Crawford

#158 Post by Jason Crawford » January 13th, 2017, 6:05 pm

Please take Amex. If you do not I will not purchase! In my world, the biggest spenders, are always Amex.

David_S

#159 Post by David_S » January 15th, 2017, 2:36 pm

Visa is everywhere you want to be though
Spr3ch3r

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#160 Post by ykwon » January 16th, 2017, 9:24 am

I wouldn't blame merchants one bit for not accepting Amex. While their clients may be the biggest spenders, it comes with one of the highest interchange rate to the merchant.
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

B Norton

#161 Post by B Norton » January 16th, 2017, 11:42 am

I read through the discussions but I don't see the process documented in the Master Thread so I'm a little unclear as to what was finally decided.
If you are still taking input - here is my perspective as a buyer...

I'm delighted to hear that the offer order will be maintained. Having offers jump around was painful.
I don't care if offers are grouped or bunched as long as they stay put so I can review them all in an orderly manner.

My preferred process is:
1) Login on the 26th, review all offers, and build a Buying Plan.
2) Login on the 27th and execute my Buying Plan.
3) Logout and do other things while waiting for deliveries.

I find no pleasure or advantage in spending an entire day of "fun" waiting for offers in my plan to finally be available or returning multiple times to catch an offer before it expires. I'm not looking for a "WOOT Off" experience.
ben

Carlton McCrindle
GCC Member
GCC Member

#162 Post by Carlton McCrindle » January 16th, 2017, 9:09 pm

Agree with Mr. Norton

Patrick M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#163 Post by Patrick M » January 16th, 2017, 9:14 pm

I agree as well, 9am PST all offers go up and they are locked in place. That is the fairest to all wineries and retailers. I don't see the advantage or fun on a "work" day, if it was a Saturday maybe...
P@tr!ck M!llett

JimmyV

#164 Post by JimmyV » January 17th, 2017, 8:06 am

There really is a simple solution to this. Probably too late for this year. Have the vendors who intend to make offers confirm their participation somewhere around 10 days in advance. Then, about 7 days before the big day, hold the lottery to see which time slot each vendor will occupy. Then, publish that list here. It doesn't have to be too specific. Just provide time ranges of, say 9:00a.m.-11:00a.m; 11:00a.m.-1:00p.m.; etc. The board members will be able to see (approximately) where each winery falls and can plan their workday accordingly. I don't see anything useful or "fun" about not knowing if Black Cat is going to pop up at 9:30 a.m. or at 4:00 p.m.. Indeed, that is counter-productive, especially on a work day. People who want to play along all day still can. And people who want to hone in on specific offers can do that too. And this also provides users some time to do some research on "Newbie" vendors. If this thread shows us anything it is that the event has gotten too big to allow for clinging on to some of the old gamesmanship that used to exist.
Cheers! J. Vitelli

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#165 Post by cjsavino » January 18th, 2017, 12:36 pm

JimmyV wrote:There really is a simple solution to this. Probably too late for this year. Have the vendors who intend to make offers confirm their participation somewhere around 10 days in advance. Then, about 7 days before the big day, hold the lottery to see which time slot each vendor will occupy. Then, publish that list here. It doesn't have to be too specific. Just provide time ranges of, say 9:00a.m.-11:00a.m; 11:00a.m.-1:00p.m.; etc. The board members will be able to see (approximately) where each winery falls and can plan their workday accordingly. I don't see anything useful or "fun" about not knowing if Black Cat is going to pop up at 9:30 a.m. or at 4:00 p.m.. Indeed, that is counter-productive, especially on a work day. People who want to play along all day still can. And people who want to hone in on specific offers can do that too. And this also provides users some time to do some research on "Newbie" vendors. If this thread shows us anything it is that the event has gotten too big to allow for clinging on to some of the old gamesmanship that used to exist.
They do try to reward the wineries that activity participate in WB. The chaos of buying the rest of the day is what makes it fun.
Chris

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#166 Post by Michael Martin » January 18th, 2017, 2:16 pm

Are we there yet?

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#167 Post by Michael Martin » January 18th, 2017, 6:26 pm

How about now? I gots me some money I needs to spend.

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#168 Post by Nola Palomar » January 18th, 2017, 8:32 pm

[snort.gif] [snort.gif] I am sooo excited.... I don't want to jinx it, but it looks like there might be some new Veleta products coming on BD [snort.gif] [snort.gif]
Last edited by Nola Palomar on January 19th, 2017, 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#169 Post by Siun o'Connell » January 18th, 2017, 8:58 pm

Nola - you're making it mighty hard to wait for the 27th!

Mike Stoneking
GCC Member
GCC Member

#170 Post by Mike Stoneking » January 18th, 2017, 8:59 pm

Either stay logged in at work, take a vacation day, call in sick or miss out on the greatest one day internet offering of all things wine related. Besides, we have a new record to set this year. Most users ever online was 817 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:32 am
Berserkers do not play by the rules, we make them or break them!! [berserker.gif] [berserker.gif] [berserker.gif] [berserker.gif]
Make it a 3 day weekend and be happy BerserkerDay is not on Wednesday, like it will be in 2021!!
ITB..............Someone has to drink all this damn wine.
Viva Berserkers!!

JimmyV

#171 Post by JimmyV » January 19th, 2017, 6:00 am

cjsavino wrote: They do try to reward the wineries that activity participate in WB. The chaos of buying the rest of the day is what makes it fun.
This doesn't follow. The "reward" aspect is diluted by the lottery system of time slots. A winery could actively participate here until the cows come home but still get the last slot of the day. As for the "chaos" being fun, I submit that it used to be fun when the event was smaller. Too much chaos brings you to the point of utter frustration. The suggestion above of calling in sick, or taking the whole day off, or staying glued to the site all day, while made tongue in cheek, is really what this is devolving into, and that is neither fun nor realistic. I can't see how any of the fun will be displaced if users are given a rough road map of what is coming out and when. I would think that the wineries would want this. Especially the ones who draw the late time slots. Think about it if you were in their shoes. If you have a late lottery slot, your biggest fears are that the participants will be mentally/emotionally/financially fatigued by the time your offer goes live. But if people know in advance that your offer will be popping up sometime after 3:00 p.m., then they can prepare for it and take steps accordingly.

I agree that a full dump at 9:00 a.m. of all offers isn't a viable solution. So short of that, if offers are going to be meted out in waves, it would be helpful to know what is coming when. By (weak) analogy, look at this as if you are excited about watching Summer Olympics TV coverage. Lots and lots of events taking place simultaneously, all day long. One option would be for you take a day off from work and randomly surf through NBC, CNBC, MSNBC, TNT, TBS, USA and whatever other networks are covering events ranging from Track and Field, Basketball and Badminton. Or...you could consult a schedule and see which events interest you the most, when they are airing and on which station, and plan accordingly. The first option is chaos to be sure. But I don't see it as necessarily being "fun". Or productive.
Cheers! J. Vitelli

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#172 Post by Siun o'Connell » January 19th, 2017, 8:06 am

You can, of course, subscribe to the site and get the full list in advance to plan what you want to buy.

I find the day a lot of fun - and have never had trouble working - and buying as I wanted.

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member

#173 Post by Jim F » January 19th, 2017, 11:48 am

Todd, what are the start times for both berserker Day proper, and, preview day? [bye.gif]

quote="Todd F r e n c h"]EDITING FIRST POST TO REFLECT SOME CHANGES BASED ON COMMUNITY DISCUSSION

Hey Berserkers! It's time to start the discussion about BerserkerDay, this one being the EIGHTH! [wow.gif] I'm going to open up discussion with this post, and try to update all pertinent information submitted in the thread into this first post, so it's not necessary to read each question and answer within the thread, and to hopefully prevent multiple questions being asked. When live, BerserkerDay will be on its own forum, as always.

As always, it's held on Jan 27th, and luckily this year, that's a Friday, and since most people don't get squat done at work on Friday anyway...no excuses!

Last year (and the year before, actually) over $200k was spent (each year) based on the polling I did of the participants, and that's truly amazing. It's become so big that it is hard to handle, and the 'free-for-all' setup has to be amended slightly, as well as limiting the number of participants. My notes - taken when they were still fresh, immediately after last BerserkerDay - are below (most of them, anyway) and open for discussion. Many of you have participated in each BerserkerDay since the very first, so I value your opinions. I also value opinions from those who have only participated in the most recent ones, the madhouse, action-packed overwhelming big BerserkerDays, as you don't know what it was like when it was 'easy', with 20-25 offers, max.

Some notes, and likely plans for BerserkerDay VIII:

One of the principal issues now that it is so big is that offers fall by the wayside, quickly buried under dozens of other offers, and without folks actively posting about the new offers, they can get buried so fast they get almost no traction at all, and never do. I have ideas on how to fix this, and make BerserkerDay more efficient for ALL.

Newbies: This year, Newbies will have a little special treatment, to encourage participation and hopefully discover NEW 'board darlings', as so many have started as relatively unknowns on prior BerserkerDays and have become such board darlings. To encourage participation with the new wineries (not retailers, only wineries) we will have a feature on each of them - written by them - about a week before BerserkerDay, to introduce themselves, their making styles, personal stuff - allowing the community to get to know them a bit prior to the offering when it's difficult to sort through. Each listing for Newbies will have the topic icon signifying that they are a Newbie (as I've abandoned the categorical topic icons based on responses in this thread, my original idea)

No Thread/Offer Bumping: Massive change to what was previously here as a concept, I've figured out how to keep offers in the order of launch - any discussion, any replies will not bump them on the top, so each offer gets equal amount of time in the first spot, then moving down one at a time while new offers are made. I want to be sure the popular ones don't bury some of our other valuable offers, based solely on number of posts. Also, in the past, a few folks who were making the offers would 'bump' their own threads/offers, which is unfair for those who don't have the time to play on WB all day (shame on them for not playing here all day and making wine instead!!!). This way, it's all equal in terms of exposure.

Limited Number of Offers: This one is not for certain, as I feel it's an attempt to fix some of the same issues the above WILL fix, but it might wean out a few of the offers that aren't legitimate enough to get traction, so we'll see. The idea is to make sure every offer is excellent in its own way, to keep the madness of BerserkerDay intact. The better the offers, the more activity and discussion, and the faster ordering occurs.

Yes, we'll still have the auction, yes, there will still be Subscribers 'Early Purchase' Day, and yes, Subscribers will have some sort of preview options, but it will be more carefully submitted thanks to the organizational changes mentioned above.

I definitely want to have this shared with as many folks as possible, to get word out to the wine world beyond our 25,000 registered members and 8000 or so visitors daily, so if any of you has a blog, knows a blogger, or has connections with any sort of press, please contact me so we can put something together.[/quote]
Jim Freeman

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#174 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 19th, 2017, 11:58 am

approximately 7:30, Jim - I'm locking this thread and opening the 'master thread' on the BerserkerDay forum, as planning is in the past, we're looking forward now to execution!

Here's the thread - http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 9&t=134383
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Return to “BerserkerDay VIII (January 27, 2017)”