BerserkerDay VIII Master Thread (Information, Details, Discussion) PLEASE READ

Warm up your credit cards and come on in, as here is where you will find all the BerserkerDay offers - open to EVERYONE who loves wine. Apologize to your spouse or significant other ahead of time. Offers are posted in groups of 10-12 every 30 minutes - Auctions preview at 9:00 am PST
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

BerserkerDay VIII Master Thread (Information, Details, Discussion) PLEASE READ

#1 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 15th, 2016, 10:23 am

This will be the principal thread for all discussions related to the 8th BerserkerDay - a buying extravaganza unrivaled in any other wine community, anywhere. One day (two, if including the Subscribers Advance Purchase Day) where over $200,000 in wine and wine-related goods are sold to eager wine lovers throughout this community.

How does BerserkerDay work?

Anybody - registered member or not - can view the BerserkerDay subforum (where you are now) and the offers that wineries, retailers, and other wine-related product sellers will have posted. It starts approximately 7:30 am PST on January 27th, and each offer will have its own thread. I will be posting them in chunks of approximately 10, in intervals of approximately 30 minutes. Threads will NOT bump to the top of the list when replies are made this year, but discussion - as always - is HIGHLY encouraged. That's part of the fun! Share this event with your friends, on your social media accounts! Our Twitter handle is @WineBerserkers for those that tweet, and the more you share, the more fun we ALL have here!! I want to see some tagging on Facebook and Twitter, folks!

Preview Day/Early Purchase Offers

On January 26th, Thursday, Subscribers will have access to the Pre-Launch forum to see ALL the offers, and plan their buying strategies. NO PURCHASES CAN BE MADE FROM THAT FORUM, and violators stand to lose the ability to participate in future BerserkerDays. There are, however, 'Early Purchase Offers', wherein BerserkerBusiness members, in a separate forum, can sell their offer on the same day as Preview Day, Jan 26th. Only Subscribers will have access to Preview Day and Early Purchase Offers, everybody else (guests and registered members) will be eligible on Jan 27th.

Auctions Special Preview today at 9:00 am PST!!!

Auctions will commence toward the afternoon, finishing in the evening. Likely they will commence when BerserkerDay is officially 'over', in that all offers have been posted on the public subforum, here. Because there is no revenue share for participants in BerserkerDay, the auctions are a generous effort by those participants to raise money that otherwise would be 'required' as a revenue share model. This way the offers given to the folks who show up are maximized in their value to those making the purchases :) Each auction will have its own thread, and if you have any money left, we encourage you to bid! (Special 15 minute preview today at 9:00 am PST, in the BerserkerDay Auctions subforum (you'll see it above, in this forum, once the preview starts) and then they shut down until Noon.)
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

BerserkerDay VIII Master Thread (Information, Details, Discussion)

#2 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 19th, 2017, 11:57 am

Updated first post with some general info (will continue to do so), and have the thread open for discussion
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

sdfruman
BerserkerDay All-Pro
BerserkerDay All-Pro

#3 Post by sdfruman » January 22nd, 2017, 3:29 pm

What time will the preview day be available for subscribers? I'm heading to Philly for a wine dinner and want to be able to plan accordingly.
Sheila

“There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne.”
― Bette Davis

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#4 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 23rd, 2017, 8:15 am

sdfruman wrote:What time will the preview day be available for subscribers? I'm heading to Philly for a wine dinner and want to be able to plan accordingly.
Probably 7:30 am PST - I should wear the Berserkers shirt, good reminder (seeing your profile)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#5 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 23rd, 2017, 2:53 pm

bumping, so people see the OP, as I'm getting a lot of questions that are easily answered by reading the 'Master Thread'...

Brad T

Case Sale? Berserker Day VIII

#6 Post by Brad T » January 24th, 2017, 12:02 am

Hi All,

I Imagine you get a lot of attention for Berserker Day, but do the Winemakers only sell cases to you, or can pick and choose a couple here and a couple there?

Regards,
Brad
T h o r e s o n

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#7 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » January 24th, 2017, 4:49 am

Hi Brad -
Each winery has its own, separate offer, which will be posted in the Berserker Day forum throughout the day on Friday.

Sean Malloy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Sean Malloy » January 24th, 2017, 4:54 am

All unique offers, but lots of threes/fours etc. available.

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by cjsavino » January 24th, 2017, 4:58 am

Part of the intent is to allow us all to experience new wineries, some offers may be single bottles purchased through their websites, others may be multi bottle lots.
Chris

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by James Lyon » January 24th, 2017, 5:08 am

Check the Berserker Day VII thread for last years offers. This years offers will be new and unique from last year, but it might provide an idea of what to expect on Friday. Enjoy the fun on Friday.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by J a y H a c k » January 24th, 2017, 5:10 am

I'm not sure exactly what I bought last year but i got wine from about six wineries and never bought more than 3 or 4.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by brigcampbell » January 24th, 2017, 6:45 am

Brad T wrote:Hi All,

I Imagine you get a lot of attention for Berserker Day, but do the Winemakers only sell cases to you, or can pick and choose a couple here and a couple there?

Regards,
Brad
Last year's offers.

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=56

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Jim F » January 24th, 2017, 6:54 am

Brad, fwiw,
Last year was my first BD. Think of it as sample packs, a way to try out some new wines. As stated, go to last years offers and do some up front work to get an idea of what you would be interested in. And check out the newbie offerers on this years BD topic. Then fling yourself into the fray on Friday, armed with some advance knowledge. It is fun; maybe try some wines you would not otherwise try; they are typically discounted; you may find some things are not in your wheelhouse, but that is how we learn, partly I think.
Jim Freeman

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#14 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 24th, 2017, 8:31 am

Merging threads...

Neal.Mollen

#15 Post by Neal.Mollen » January 24th, 2017, 11:58 am

So when we come here on the morning of the 26th and go to the forums page, we will see an 'Early Purchase Offers' forum separate from the others?
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#16 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 24th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:So when we come here on the morning of the 26th and go to the forums page, we will see an 'Early Purchase Offers' forum separate from the others?
Yes, you will have access to the Pre-Launch forum, and the Early Purchase Offers forums

Peter Cargasacchi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Peter Cargasacchi » January 24th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Help? I'm trying to figure out the format for a fundraiser lot for WB board maintenance $$$?

People don't know or think about where their food (meat) comes from. With all the foodies we have, I was thinking about donating a living, breathing, heart still beating pig. The participants would take that pig, humanely harvest, render, then carefully prepare and eat it.

There are different phases that would transpire up to the point where we put it into our bellies. Not all would equally want to participate in each phase of production. But some who consider themselves carnivores, would perhaps want to participate in the sacrifice of a living thing that transforms that creature into food.

You can't auction someone getting to kill a pig. I would probably do that part. We would clean it. There is the culinary aspect. Then eat, drink and be Merry.

How would you coordinate the date and auction that? It would be a weekend in early summer? Is this even reasonable to consider doing?
PeterCargasacchi
Cargasacchi.com

Neal.Mollen

#18 Post by Neal.Mollen » January 24th, 2017, 2:47 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:So when we come here on the morning of the 26th and go to the forums page, we will see an 'Early Purchase Offers' forum separate from the others?
Yes, you will have access to the Pre-Launch forum, and the Early Purchase Offers forums
Cool. Thx
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#19 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 25th, 2017, 1:06 pm

Here's what's up for tomorrow, folks...

Preview Day: Subscribers will have viewing access to ALL offers starting tomorrow around 7:30 am (depends when I get all the logistics, rules, permissions figured out, so it might be closer to 8:00 am PST) and will have access to 41 'Early Purchase Offers' as well! Subscribers can only purchase from the Early Purchase Offers subforum (you'll see both subforums when you come here, to the BerserkerDay VIII forum), not from the Pre-Launch forum. There are 90 offers in all, and I've turned down quite a few this year to keep it somewhat manageable.

I've sent out launch times for BerserkerDay, and that's when it all goes public for all to see. I'll be launching in groups of ~10 starting at 7:30 am PST, in 30 minute increments.

Auctions start at NOON PST, and we have a lot of them, and they are AWESOME. PLEASE save a little bit of money for the auctions, as we do them instead of a 'revenue sharing' deal for offers made, as we'd rather maximize the savings to the Berserkers on all those offers rather than increase the cost by X% to cover a revenue share. Please note that we've actually turned down auction items from participants who have been generous in the past, as we don't want to take advantage of their generosity.

JesseC

#20 Post by JesseC » January 25th, 2017, 6:40 pm

Peter Cargasacchi wrote:Help? I'm trying to figure out the format for a fundraiser lot for WB board maintenance $$$?

People don't know or think about where their food (meat) comes from. With all the foodies we have, I was thinking about donating a living, breathing, heart still beating pig. The participants would take that pig, humanely harvest, render, then carefully prepare and eat it.

There are different phases that would transpire up to the point where we put it into our bellies. Not all would equally want to participate in each phase of production. But some who consider themselves carnivores, would perhaps want to participate in the sacrifice of a living thing that transforms that creature into food.

You can't auction someone getting to kill a pig. I would probably do that part. We would clean it. There is the culinary aspect. Then eat, drink and be Merry.

How would you coordinate the date and auction that? It would be a weekend in early summer? Is this even reasonable to consider doing?
Pete's idea has now become my most important BD thread to watch out for!!
Jesse_Collins

AlbertH
Contributor
Contributor

BerserkerDay VIII Master Thread (Information, Details, Discussion) UPDATED 1/25/17

#21 Post by AlbertH » January 25th, 2017, 7:29 pm

I'm hoping for Flannery Steaks Part II.....
ƃuɐnɥ ʇɹǝqןɐ
IG: dimsum_lose_sum

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

BerserkerDay VIII Master Thread (Information, Details, Discussion) UPDATED 1/25/17

#22 Post by Mark Y » January 25th, 2017, 7:42 pm

renewed.. always last minute and procrastinate but always in! :)
Y.e.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#23 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 25th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Mark Y wrote:renewed.. always last minute and procrastinate but always in! :)
Yeah, the two emails sent to you (around the 1st and 15th) should normally work as a guideline to not be last minute, but you and about 50 others still waited until the last minute, which means I have a VERY busy day tomorrow, converting accounts back to Subscribers

[berserker.gif]

*(and that goes for ALL you other folks who didn't heed the emails on the 1st or 15th about your Subscriber renewal - be forewarned that I MAY NOT get to you first thing in the morning, since the adaptation of your account to Subscriber is a manual process. You may have to wait until I get to it...)*

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#24 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 25th, 2017, 8:30 pm

AlbertH wrote:I'm hoping for Flannery Steaks Part II.....
You'll get your wish

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Mark Y » January 25th, 2017, 9:00 pm

Todd. Just have one of your minions do the hard work! ;)

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Mark Y wrote:renewed.. always last minute and procrastinate but always in! :)
Yeah, the two emails sent to you (around the 1st and 15th) should normally work as a guideline to not be last minute, but you and about 50 others still waited until the last minute, which means I have a VERY busy day tomorrow, converting accounts back to Subscribers

[berserker.gif]

*(and that goes for ALL you other folks who didn't heed the emails on the 1st or 15th about your Subscriber renewal - be forewarned that I MAY NOT get to you first thing in the morning, since the adaptation of your account to Subscriber is a manual process. You may have to wait until I get to it...)*
Y.e.

Terence T-Bone Livingston
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Terence T-Bone Livingston » January 25th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Peter Cargasacchi wrote:Help? I'm trying to figure out the format for a fundraiser lot for WB board maintenance $$$?

I'd be up for that.
ITB

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#27 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 25th, 2017, 9:30 pm

Terence T-Bone Livingston wrote:

I'd be up for that.
Holy hell - T-Bone would return to Lompoc for this? We better freakin' change the proposed date so I can show up!!!!!!

I see Bowden, Dr. Levine, P-Rob (one can only hope), Mel, a pickup truck and a picnic table in that beautiful vision...

Terence T-Bone Livingston
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Terence T-Bone Livingston » January 25th, 2017, 9:53 pm

36765_412550332471_1372857_n.jpg
36765_412550332471_1372857_n.jpg (24.09 KiB) Viewed 4458 times
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Terence T-Bone Livingston wrote:

I'd be up for that.
Holy hell - T-Bone would return to Lompoc for this? We better freakin' change the proposed date so I can show up!!!!!!

I see Bowden, Dr. Levine, P-Rob (one can only hope), Mel, a pickup truck and a picnic table in that beautiful vision...
ITB

Tom F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Tom F. » January 26th, 2017, 6:31 am

Is the preview forum up yet? I'm a first year subscriber and just did it a few days ago so am not sure if my account is not configured yet or I'm looking in the wrong place.
T o m F l o y d

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by ykwon » January 26th, 2017, 6:35 am

It's not up yet. I believe it will be posted on the main board index
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#31 Post by Jorge Henriquez » January 26th, 2017, 7:11 am

Tom F. wrote:Is the preview forum up yet? I'm a first year subscriber and just did it a few days ago so am not sure if my account is not configured yet or I'm looking in the wrong place.
About 30 more minutes.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Tom F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Tom F. » January 26th, 2017, 7:16 am

Thanks. Just also remembered it was based on PST so it's not even time for it to be up anyway.
T o m F l o y d

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#33 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 26th, 2017, 7:16 am

See this post (posted just above) for answers to questions being posted here and via email and Private Message - the answers are out there, just look...

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 4#p2197684

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#34 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 26th, 2017, 7:35 am

Pre-Launch forum and Early Purchase Offers forums are now visible to Subscribers. Remember that Subscribers can only purchase from the (aptly named) Early Purchase Offers forum - the Pre-Launch forum is available for viewing/planning ONLY

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Siun o'Connell » January 26th, 2017, 7:52 am

Oh I am in sooo much trouble!

Thank you Todd!

David_S

#36 Post by David_S » January 26th, 2017, 8:39 am

Question, offers for tomorrow that require us to email to purchase, what's the rule? Order at midnight? Emails can be sent today but they won't be processed until tomorrow?
Spr3ch3r

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#37 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 26th, 2017, 8:46 am

David_S wrote:Question, offers for tomorrow that require us to email to purchase, what's the rule? Order at midnight? Emails can be sent today but they won't be processed until tomorrow?
Emails cannot be sent today for offers that can't be purchased before tomorrow, and you can't purchase until they are launched publicly

Carlton McCrindle
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Carlton McCrindle » January 26th, 2017, 10:20 am

Sorry to appear dense but I don't se the Pre Launch section or link.
Ah, a clue- I no longer see my subscriber designation. I did renew several days ago.
Last edited by Carlton McCrindle on January 26th, 2017, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by cjsavino » January 26th, 2017, 10:23 am

Carlton McCrindle wrote:Sorry to appear dense but I don't se the Pre Launch section or link
You need to donate to the site to see these as a contributor or donor.
Chris

Carlton McCrindle
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Carlton McCrindle » January 26th, 2017, 10:38 am

cjsavino wrote:
Carlton McCrindle wrote:Sorry to appear dense but I don't se the Pre Launch section or link
Thanks, Chris. You kindly responded to my inquiry before I edited my post. I donated earlier this week.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by brigcampbell » January 26th, 2017, 10:39 am

Carlton McCrindle wrote:Sorry to appear dense but I don't se the Pre Launch section or link.
Ah, a clue- I no longer see my subscriber designation. I did renew several days ago.
I know Todd has been slammed with renewals...

Peter Cargasacchi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Peter Cargasacchi » January 26th, 2017, 10:53 am

Is it possible to love an animal, "too much"?
PeterCargasacchi
Cargasacchi.com

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#43 Post by Jorge Henriquez » January 26th, 2017, 11:05 am

Peter Cargasacchi wrote:Is it possible to love an animal, "too much"?
Many people love Leo......too much,
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#44 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 26th, 2017, 11:09 am

Carlton McCrindle wrote:
cjsavino wrote:
Thanks, Chris. You kindly responded to my inquiry before I edited my post. I donated earlier this week.
All set - I believe you are one of several who have multiple accounts...I might have originally credited another one, but you're set now

Emily Richer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#45 Post by Emily Richer » January 26th, 2017, 12:44 pm

I don't want to get in trouble with the Toddster..... but I have a question: Where is the thread on "BerserkerDay purchases I LOVED from last/prior year(s)."
??

Or are we hoping folks will comment on the offer thread itself?

FWIW, as a 6th-year participant as both winery and buyer, I think the new format is fabulous: for the organized/engineer type personality (um, I think frequently on display here), maintaining the offers in order allows me, as a buyer, to make sure I at least caught the title of all offers. But the excitement and marathon vibe we all look forward to is still alive and well--if I take a break, I might miss something great with a limited quantity or limited offer window (if I'm not glued to the screen all day). I will be frequently "scrolling backwards" to check hot action (by comments) on earlier offers I might not have looked at closely--maybe an interesting comment will change my initial thoughts, leading me to purchase after all. The BDVIII plan is MUCH better than trying to find new offers in the prior hot-air popcorn popper :)

Love you Todd and Brig!!
Virage Napa Valley
Winemaker, Owner & Shipping Clerk

Mike Sale

#46 Post by Mike Sale » January 26th, 2017, 1:07 pm

I just have to say that I way way way under budgeted! I am finding things I just cannot say "no" to and looking at a monster CC bill next month!

newhere

That said, I cannot say thank you enough for this great event and chance to get to know some new wineries and taste some I've been lurking on for far too long.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by brigcampbell » January 26th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Mike Sale wrote:I just have to say that I way way way under budgeted! I am finding things I just cannot say "no" to and looking at a monster CC bill next month!

newhere

That said, I cannot say thank you enough for this great event and chance to get to know some new wineries and taste some I've been lurking on for far too long.
BD is tomorrow. Get your rest.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#48 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 26th, 2017, 3:26 pm

brigcampbell wrote:
Mike Sale wrote:I just have to say that I way way way under budgeted! I am finding things I just cannot say "no" to and looking at a monster CC bill next month!

newhere

BD is tomorrow. Get your rest.
or even better, go make some money to spend

Scott Goodwin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Scott Goodwin » January 26th, 2017, 4:26 pm

Question - if a winery has an Early Purchase Offer or a an offer in the Pre-launch Forum, are these the ONLY offers that these wineries will have? Or might there be different, additional offers tomorrow? Not that the current offers are wallet-demolishingly awesome but just want to make sure I don't blow my budget too quickly! Thanks.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by brigcampbell » January 26th, 2017, 4:36 pm

Scott Goodwin wrote:Question - if a winery has an Early Purchase Offer or a an offer in the Pre-launch Forum, are these the ONLY offers that these wineries will have? Or might there be different, additional offers tomorrow? Not that the current offers are wallet-demolishingly awesome but just want to make sure I don't blow my budget too quickly! Thanks.
That is an interesting question. I guess a winery could have an offering for subscribers on Thursday. Limited to just them.

Then have a different offer on BD for the huddled masses.

I don't believe there are any like that this year. But I bet there will be next year!

Return to “BerserkerDay VIII (January 27, 2017)”