Hidden Beauty: Wondrous Wine Microphotography Offer from WineSmith

WineSmith’s 2016 BerserkerDay Special Offer

This year’s WineSmith offers explore the intriguing world of Dr. Sondra Barrett’s wine micro-photography. Rarely are the tools of science employed to illuminate wine’s aesthetic mysteries. Blending her passions to illuminate and investigate life, world renowned cellular microbiologist Dr. Barrett explores wine’s secret life in Wine’s Hidden Beauty, a micro-photographic adventure of incomparably striking and provocative images that portray the diverse microscopic structures which wines contain.

We are offering three packages at 25% discount plus free shipping which include a copy of Dr. Barrett’s beautiful book of wine images and an assortment of WineSmith’s rarest reserve wines as micro-photographed by Dr. Barrett.
Hidden Beauty Two-Pack (list $165.00) $112.50

(1) 750 ml WineSmith 2006 Mokelumne River Cabernet Sauvignon
WineSmith 2006 Lodi Cab Sauv micro-image.png

Plus:
(1) 750 ml WineSmith 2005 “Second Fiddle” Pinot Noir
WineSmith 2005 Second Fiddle Pinot Noir micro-image.png
Plus Dr. Barrett’s book, Wine’s Hidden Beauty ($50 value).
Wines Hidden Beauty book cover.jpg

Hidden Beauty 3-Pack (list $225.00) $149.95
Includes the above plus
(1) 750 ml WineSmith 2005 Mangels Ranch Syrah,
a single barrel aged 10 years in neutral oak!

WineSmith 2005 Suisun Syrah micro-image.png
Be sure to enter the promocode BERSERKERDAY to obtain free shipping.

Hidden Beauty 4-Pack (list $275.00) $187.50
(Only 6 available! First Come, First Served)

In this package, we add in a bottle from the last half case of our legendary 2005 Roman Syrah, produced without sulfites, leading to micro-structures of amazing intricacy.
WineSmith 2005 Roman Syrah micro-image.png
While investigating diagnostic criteria of human leukemias on the faculty of the University of California Medical School in the 1980s, Dr. Barrett turned her microscope to examination of wines. André Tchelistcheff called the photographs “jewels in wine” and wanted to see them on silk scarves.

Dr. Barrett proposes that we can enjoy wine more when we taste its shape, and today offers us a new kind of wine tasting blending art and our sensory pleasures. In addition to awards from Nikon and Olympus, her photography has appeared in numerous international publications and is featured at museums and many wineries. Sondra views wine as the perfect elixir to bring people together, connecting through their inner wisdom, and today offers a new kind of wine tasting blending art and our sensory pleasures.

Too cheap to spring for Sondra’s book? Any of these wines are available to you at 20% discount at winesmithwines.com using the Promocode IKNOWCLARK. Sip them while you gaze at their images online!

5” x 7” professionally produced plates of Dr. Barrett’s images on Endura glossy photo paper, suitable for framing, regularly $90, are available for $45.

But wait! There’s even more:

Back by popular demand, WineSmith’s BerserkerDay Postmodern package is composed of wines that illustrate many of the points discussed when I was hosted by wineberserkers.com for my Special Guest Crucifixion such as WineSmith’s Eurocentric style choices, minerality, and graceful longevity. These wines are heavily discounted and we also pay shipping.
[cheers.gif] Special Postmodern BerserkerDay Offers

Postmodern Winemaking 3-Pack
(list $120.00) $89.99.

We pay shipping.

(1) WineSmith 2007 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir
(1) WineSmith 2004 Napa Valley Faux Chablis
(1) WineSmith 2013 Carneros St. Laurent

Postmodern Winemaking hardcover,
signed by Clark Smith, (list $50.00) $40.00

including tax and shipping.

Wine and Spirits Magazine’s 2013 Book of the Year.
Clear PMW Book Jacket.jpg
“This book should be required reading for all winemakers, aspiring winemakers, and anyone who wishes to have a deeper understanding of wine.”
–Joel Peterson, founder, Ravenswood Winery

“Smith is a writer who can charge way ahead of you (or rather, ahead of me) in scientific exposition yet keep you tagging breathlessly along, full of interest and bursting with questions. As I say, you must read this book.”
–Hugh Johnson, World of Fine Wine

“The kaleidoscope of choices winegrowers make reminds us of the complexity and the interdependence of art and science. In this masterful, insightful, and practical work, Clark Smith provides shape, focus, and comprehension to a wide array of wine processes that complement art and science. A must-read for all in the industry.”
–Dr. Bruce Zoecklein, Virginia Tech University

“The basics here are a real lesson that would enlighten some of those buyers of $200 bottles of red wine that they firmly believe will age.”
–Dan Berger, Vintage Selections

EXCERPTS

Chapter 1 “Winemaking is a branch of cuisine—the ultimate slow food—and has much in common with the making of sauces, because the soulfulness of flavor integration is a result of refining its structure.”

Chapter 3 “Oxygenation at an early stage does not shorten the wine’s life; paradoxically it increases anti-oxidative power by stimulating latent phenolic reactivity. A wine can absorb five times as much oxygen at 59˚F as it can at 50˚F, so a single degree’s difference changes everything in a cellar.”

Chapter 5 “Vine balance is the economic meeting place for winemakers and growers.”

Chapter 7 “Wines vary a thousand-fold in their anti-oxidative vigor. Because acetic acid bacteria are not inhibited by the pigment-bound SO2, phenolic vigor is all that protects young red wine.”

Chapter 10 “Well-formed structure can render Brett aromas into positive sensory elements. Brett management is the central problem in the making of serious wine. Modern enological practices cause Brett and exacerbate its effects. To master Brett management is to understand what red wine really is.”

Chapter 12 “Courageous fools who perceive the need for deeper work are continually breaking new ground from which we all benefit.”

Chapter 21 “Biodynamics sounds nuts to me. But so does the String Theory. Its existence offers a delicious opportunity for scientists to test their true mettle.”

Chapter 22 “The Natural Wine movement has proven itself incapable of articulating its beliefs. Unlike the free and open ‘70s and ‘80s, winemakers are lying low and keeping mum while Natural Wine advocates fire live ammo over their heads. To restore our tradition of candor and openness, consumers will need to be brought up to speed on recent changes in winemaking.”

Chapter 25 “Music pairing can greatly improve your chances of enjoying a wine. Wine is liquid music, for it has the capacity to embody a spectrum of emotional modalities, to exhibit harmony or dissonance, and it has the power to transport us from care and circumstance.”

Thanks for caring about our project!

Clark Smith
Winemaker

PS: If you have any trouble with the transaction, please call Mike Faulk at 954-295-8944 for assistance or write us at info@winemaking411.com.

Welcome back Clark, and Mike.
Read some reviews of that book and they are all quite positive.

I’ve not seen you mention the 2005 Mangels before.
Chat about it?

[edit] … and yes, this stuff does age well …

I’ve liked the WineSmith wines I’ve had (about 9 or so) – made in a style to age for years. I must say those microphotography images are pretty cool too!

Yes, Ron - I appreciate how closely you follow WineSmith doings, but the Mangels Syrah was below the radar for a long time. I actually sold 1700 cases of it seven years ago under the Tightwad label, but kept this one barrel to see what it would do. There’s videos of us bottling it on my Kickstarter campaign.

I think these photos are fascinating…interesting concept

Thanks! There is much to learn from looking at the true structure as you sip the wines.

Agreed on all counts, love Clark’s wines and they are definitely built for age. This is one of the most unique and interesting offers of the day. Thanks, Clark!