Patricia Green Cellars Berserker Day 3 Packages of Pinot Noir

I have been asked many times recently, more so than seemingly usual, about the extensive nature of our single vineyard Pinot Noir program here at Patricia Green Cellars. We do, undoubtedly, produce more individual bottlings of Pinot Noir than any other winery in Oregon and maybe anywhere outside of Burgundy. The diversity and excellence of the sites we work with constantly fuels our desire to make increasingly complex, interesting, compelling (and ultimately hopefully delicious) site driven Pinot Noirs. We spare no amount of time, effort, labor and attention to fermentation minutia so that all the wines we make are ultimately about the land, the plants, the air and everything within them.

The funny thing is that we actually are working with less vineyards than at anytime in our 15 year history. We have essentially distilled our vineyard designated Pinot Noirs down to 7 different vineyard sites (Balcombe, Durant, Estate, Freedom Hill, Lia’s, Olenik and Weber). There are occasional additions (you will see that in 2014) but those are the vineyards in the wheelhouse. It is just that from those 7 vineyards we produce as many as 16 different bottlings of Pinot Noir.

Even the Berserkers who know me and the compulsions and predilections Patty and I share often times are at a loss as to why and how we do what we do until they have tasted at the winery (or in my house if need be.) I thought it would be appropriate to offer packages that showed not only a range of vineyards but the spectrum of wines that are created intra-vineyard as well as inter-vineyard.

We are offering three different packages. Each one focuses on one vineyard but each package offers two or three wines we bottle from within each individual vineyard. We hope you will enjoy exploring our ever-burrowing fascination with terroir and what it ultimately means as much as we do with these offers:

Block Designation Package

2 bottles each of 2013 Balcombe Vineyard Pinot Noir and 2013 Balcombe Vineyard, Block 1B Pinot Noir. We have managed this Dundee Hill vineyard since 1997. The vines were planted in 1990 to Pommard. Ever since our first vintage the block designated as 1B has shown a marked difference from the other 4 blocks of the vineyard. The vines were all planted at the same time, to the same clone and the entire vineyard is picked on the same day every year. The difference is far from subtle. The “regular” Balcombe Vineyard bottling is classic Dundee Hills with red fruit and silky texture at its core. The Block 1B has always ratcheted up fruit intensity to the point where it is usually a darker shade, there is distinctly more structure and usually a bit of blood/iron/iodine in the mix to lend a more animalistic side to things. Wines are regularly $37 and $55 each ($184 total).

Berserker Day offer is $140 with UPS ground shipping included.

Clone Designation Package

1 bottle each of the 2013 Freedom Hill Vineyard Coury Clone Pinot Noir, 2013 Freedom Hill Vineyard Dijon 115 Clone Pinot Noir and 2013 Freedom Hill Vineyard Pommard Clone Pinot Noir. Freedom Hill Vineyard is certainly one of the top vineyards in the state of Oregon and has been designated on bottlings by several wineries dating back into the mid-1980s. While we are new to Freedom Hill (2012 was our first vintage) we have a fairly large swath of the vineyard covering 5 individual sections and 3 different clones. Freedom Hill is known for darkly fruited wines with powerful structures to them that are compelling in their youth and incredibly age-worthy. See the backdrop of the vineyards terroir stretched over the veneer of the three clones we work with. From the gamey and intense Pommard bottling, through the deep, savory and structured Dijon 115 bottling and ending at the aromatic, complex and nearly feminine Coury Clone bottling. Wines are regularly $72, $44 and $42 each ($158 total).

Berserker Day offer is $125 with UPS ground shipping included.

Vine Age Designation

2 bottles each of the 2013 Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir and 2013 Estate Vineyard Old Vine Pinot Noir bottlings. Our Estate Vineyard located in Ribbon Ridge has the second oldest planting in the appellation on it. It also has vines from nine other vintages planted within its 30+ acres. Our combination of organic and dry farming in the marine soil which makes up the entirety of our site leads to vastly different characteristics in the resulting wines based upon the age of the vines. The Old Vine bottling consists of the blocks of the vineyard planted between 1984-1990. This is 100% self-rooted Pommard clone. The “regular” Estate bottling comes from the vines planted between 1997-2001 and, while largely Pommard, has elements of Wadensvil, Dijon 114 and Dijon 777. Wines are regularly $30 and $40 respectively ($140 total).

Berserker Day offer is $99 with UPS ground shipping included.

As many of you will/have/do experience, wines will be arranged to be shipped at your convenience but within the context of weather related phenomena. Basically if you live outside Oregon, Washington, California, Nevada and Arizona you are likely going to have to wait a bit for shipping. Other arrangements for shipping beyond UPS ground may require an additional expense.

To order please call 503-554-0821 or email Melissa@patriciagreencellars.com. For further information or questions outside of the information exchange of ordering contact me (Jim Anderson) directly at jim@patriciagreencellars.com.

Pinot lovers need no introduction to Patty Green Cellars, that’s for sure, and if you are AT ALL a fan of their great wines, there’s an auction coming up that will absolutely crush you…

Fantastic vineyard. The 2012s were spectacular!

In for the Balcombe package, looking forward to the auction!

Michael

In.

Love their wines! I’m in.

Email sent. I think the clone designates are just so geeky and cool.

Love the offer and ability to control variables to compare! Email sent.

Same. Just ordered.

email sent.

email in.

email sent

ordered 1 of each.

Email sent

email sent

I am in.

In for the Clone pack. Thanks to you and Adam Lee at Siduri for making this fun and educational.

Email sent.

Great offer. Thanks Jim!

All you smart enough to buy into this one HAVE to see the auction coming up!!!