AUCTION: Patricia Green Cellars - Singularity Lot #2

Item: 4 bottles of Singularity.
Donor: Jim Anderson / Patty Green
Starting Bid: $130
Bid Increment: $5

Auction ends at 10:30pm ET

We started Patricia Green Cellars in 2000 after both myself and Patty had worked at other wineries separately and then at one winery together. In 2001 we realized that perhaps it would not be the worst idea ever to have a wine that was simply our wine. There are always barrels throughout the cellar that we gravitate towards over the course of a year. While our mission at Patricia Green Cellars is to produce painfully site specific Pinot Noirs we have a bottling that we only do for ourselves that consists of a blend of our favorite barrels during the course of the year.

This wine is labeled as Singularity.

This wine basically does not exist in the real world. Most vintages only 15 gallons (yes, that’s gallons which equates to a little over 6 cases) is bottled. In 2012 we used 20 gallons and in 2013 18 gallons. In short, not much ever. Only 1 bottle (a magnum of the 2002) has ever been sold (it currently resides on the wine list of The Herbfarm Restaurant). A handful of bottles have been given to friends and employees over the years. Very few bottles have been tasted in any sort of public forum. A few years ago I did a line-up of all bottled vintages for Jon Favre and Roger Nellens (I could not find the link but I do believe one of them posted notes here).

When the 2014 vintage gets bottled later this year we will have 12 vintages of Singularity under our belts (2000, 2003 and 2009 were not done, 2014 most assuredly will).

A whole case seemed like it might be a lot for one person to go in on to get as rare a case of wine as there is in the world (generally speaking, from a volume point of view) so we have divided the case into 3 individual lots. They are appropriately labeled Lot 1, Lot 2 and Lot 3. They can be bid on separately.

However, if one person(s) buys the entirety of the case they will not only get the case of wine, if they so desire, I will personally come and lead a tasting of the breadth of the wines at the place of their choosing (obviously a mutually agreeable time would need to be worked out). Each Lot is described by its component parts. No tasting notes are provided since, in some cases, not even I have tasted the wine since it has been bottled and in many cases I have only tried it once. However, remember that these wines come from Patty and my personal favorite barrels of which only a few gallons are racked from the heart of the barrel. These are all terrific wines.

LOT 2

2002: 33% each Goldschmidt Dijon 115 (1974 planting of Chardonnay grafted over-new barrel), Eason Vineyard (2 year barrel), Shea Vineyard Block 32 (Wadensvil-new barrel)

2005: 33% each Eason Vineyard 35% whole cluster (1 year barrel), Goldschmidt Vineyard Pommard Clone (new barrel), Estate Vineyard-Bonshaw Block (1 year barrel)

2010: 33% each Estate Vineyard-Confluence (new barrel), Olenik Vineyard Wadensvil Clone (1 year barrel), Ana Vineyard (new barrel)

2014: TBD

HELPFUL TIP: If you bid, and want to follow the auction to see if you are outbid, simply click ‘Subscribe Topic’ right below the text box when writing your reply!!

I’ll kick the bidding off on this one! $130

I never noticed this when Brig put the Reserve in and I adjusted it. The Reserve on these is $250 for the 4 packs.

If someone just buys them all at whatever the highest price is (of it Todd wants to set a BUY THE 3 LOTS price), if they want, I will come out and be there for a tasting of these.

Sorry for the confusion. These are great and interesting wines that less than 10 people in most instances have ever tasted. I take my case and stick it away. These are the best and most interesting wines we have in our cellar compiled together and there is nothing we make that is anything like these wines.

The 2005 Singularity was poured a couple/three years ago at the post-IPNC 2005 tasting by the way.

I have tasted two vintages of Singularity, on consecutive days, including that 2005 throwdown – just through the sheer cussed luck of being with the right people, in the right place, at the right time. FWIW, they struck me as being as good as Oregon pinot gets. I can’t afford all three lots (once the prices get real, probably not even one) but if I have to pick one, this is it. Bid of $401

It’s early in the day, but I gotta go for 'em all before I leave work.

$450

$500. The value of all three is so much better than any two… Assuming I can get Jim to come to Seattle. I’m sure there’s an economics paper in there somewhere…

$525

$535

$550

$655

$670

$675