White or Red?

Serge, which do you feel better represents/defines Chateau Musar, your whites or your reds? I know it might seem like choosing your favorite child, but since the prejudice is that nearly anything ‘Chateau’ is a red wine maker, with maybe some whites on the side (as with most Chateau in Bordeaux - defined by their reds, not whites, except Sauternes), I noted that there is equal discussions and tasting notes on your white wines.

Which do you feel more fully represents Chateau Musar?

Dear Todd,
I like your question. I hope my answer will shock you.
Once I started my company in the UK, selling Chateau Musar Red and White and a younger Musar, I realized it would be difficult to promote 3 different wines at the same time coming from Lebanon. So I took the decision to promote only the Chateau Musar Red and it took me 10 years to pass the message and succeed. This is why Chateau Musar was known for its Red. In 1990, I started promoting my Whites and again it took me 10 years to pass the message. But you must know that our production of White is 10% of the production of Red. Let me give you this information Chateau Musar Red is made from imported vine from France, Cabernet Sauvignon, Carignan and Cinsault. Chateau Musar White is made from indigenous grapes from Lebanon Merwah and Obaideh the oldest grapes on earth, the origin of Vitis Vinifera, not grafted, maturing after the Red.
This is why I call my first Red wine is the Chateau Musar White. I tried to answer your question but I am ready to continue if you want more.
Thank you.
Serge

Great story, Serge - it’s helpful to know that your white is very true to its region, using the indigenous grapes.

Serge, what do the white grapes’ names mean in Arabic? I guess Obaideh is the diminutive, feminine form of the word “slave” so I guess that would mean “a little slave girl”? But what about Merwah?

Hi Otto,
As I do not know Arabic well, I will have to ask for Obaideh. For Merwah, I think it’s an arameic name. I will have also to check about it. I will get back to you.
Serge

Serge, If you’re still reading here, did you find out about the etymology of the grapes’ names?