Berserker Day IV - Final Thoughts

Often the most expensive day for a Wine Berserker, whereby the deals from wineries and retailers fill the forum and make your credit cards scream for mercy...
Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Berserker Day IV - Final Thoughts

#51 Post by Mark Y » January 28th, 2013, 11:38 am

Chuck Miller wrote:
Pat Burton wrote:I really enjoyed the day and found it fun to watch all of the offering pop up unexpectedly. One thing I found difficult was seeing all the offers - as the threads move around from posting, it can get hard to see the newest offers (something I also struggled with last year). Perhaps the offer threads could all start with a number so one could find them quickly? Or maybe give each new offer a ten minute stickie?
+1. Have the forum list the offers in the order posted, newest on top. You only have to look at the ones at the top at you haven't already acted on, or are not interested in
+1 I like this and also suggest have one MAIN "chatter" thread. Sticky that and keep other 'post pics!', 'omg what have you bought!', 'havin' fun yet?' threads to a minimum..
Chatter yes. but keep it in one sticky thread perhaps.
Unless you're monitoring the site constantly, you basically get barraged by new offers every couple of hours you come back on.. so it's easier if it's numbered/sequential offer threads.

Love the work you guys do.. it really is a win win for both sides..
Y.e.

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by cjsavino » January 28th, 2013, 12:02 pm

Seemed from the past BD the offers were more limited, say to the first 15-20 people so there was a greater urgency to buy as soon as the offer was posted
Chris

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#53 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 28th, 2013, 12:02 pm

Maybe it's based on the offers, as I'm receiving far more 'we did much better than last year' emails than the opposite...
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Phil M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Phil M » January 28th, 2013, 12:12 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Michael Davidson wrote:It might've been the weekend that cut traffic, Todd, not just the number of offers.

Michael
I kind of like the idea of making it a competition of sorts, though, where we have a wide variety of offers, but only the X number of best ones make the cut and get to be listed. We'll see - I'm happy to take feedback from everyone.

By the server statistics, our traffic was indeed lower this year, so the weekend was bad news in that regard. I guess work day is the way to go!
What makes one offer "better" than the other - is it just a matter of discount, or can an offer be "better" if it offers a vintage/varietal that is not regularly available?

It would be interesting to know if total dollar purchases (aggregating all vendors) were down compared to last year - were folks spending the same (or more) dollars but spreading them across more merchants or were they spending less money?

The large number of vendors certainly encourages becoming a donor - it was a life-saver for me newhere to be able to research wineries and wines and make decisions about what to buy (and then buy 50% more) - so if you want to encourage donations, keep expanding the pool of wineries. Merchants who were not happy with the results this year can always improve their offers next year [highfive.gif]

Just my 2 cents (from a very satisfied customer)
Ph!l M@rx

Tom Moore

#55 Post by Tom Moore » January 28th, 2013, 12:16 pm

I like a weekday/weekend combo for next year. Maybe Friday/Saturday. Maybe 1 offer per hour for 50 hours straight with preview for donors including times for each posting.
I'm sure there are some funny stories about where you were when buying an offer yesterday. I was at the final meeting with wedding planner for my daughters wedding. Got yelled at by wife, told by daughter to take it out side, rolled eyes from planner and laughs from future son in law! Secured the deal though.

K e v i n B.

#56 Post by K e v i n B. » January 28th, 2013, 12:17 pm

Work day is better for me as well, but not sure that kept me from buying except for limited time offers like EMH Black Cat, for example... I didn't see that until the 3 hr window was up..

what doesn't help is that this happens right in the peak mailer realease window though.. however, the same would be true last year I guess as well..
B-y-r-n-e

timmy roos
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by timmy roos » January 28th, 2013, 12:38 pm

Todd
I know it has been said before, can you repost the offers that are ongoing?
Things are getting funny these day

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#58 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 28th, 2013, 12:40 pm

timmy roos wrote:Todd
I know it has been said before, can you repost the offers that are ongoing?
it's always up to the wineries/retailers who own the offers - seems like most will mention something in their thread if the offer still stands, like Balliwick, Briceland, Loring (that was because I forgot his 2nd offer, though), etc
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Travis D.

#59 Post by Travis D. » January 28th, 2013, 12:49 pm

Phil M wrote:
What makes one offer "better" than the other - is it just a matter of discount, or can an offer be "better" if it offers a vintage/varietal that is not regularly available?
I think it is a mix of both and will differ person to person. Personally, a high discount offer along with the option to purchase some vintages/varietals not normally available as single or a small pack add on to my order really tend to get me interested. Especially when trying a new winery, it's nice to grab the current release and also a library release (or ten!) so you can enjoy these immediately while you possibly need to lay down the new bottles for a period of time before drinking. I still purchased some deals yesterday from sites that did not have this kind of deal structure, but am sitting here today contemplating add on orders at regular price from a few offers just for this reason.

This was my first BD, but from looking at all the offers yesterday, some were just not discounted enough after or potential shipping was factored in. I would possibly jump on one of these if it was something unique or difficult to source, but would need to come from a winery that I hold near and dear. My primary goal was to be introduced to new wineries that I would not necessarily order from without first sampling at a discounted rate. I am sure others came in with different strategies. After sampling, I can then make an educated decision - Do I want to order a case, join the club, visit on my next tasting or try something different next time? This lead me to gravitate toward the smaller packs (~3 bottles) that included shipping. I could see my strategy changing, year to year, based on the needs of my cellar and ever evolving personal taste and lifestyle.
Travis D e d e k

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by JKim » January 28th, 2013, 12:49 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:I'm receiving some feedback from veteran ITB'ers that their order count was down from last year, some significantly. Others are experiencing much higher results, but still, to have some of the stalwart offers that are ALWAYS popular see a reduction in orders makes me think that we might have gone too far, and had too many offers.

I'm considering next year doing a 'top 50' offers, and that only the best 50 will make the cut. Thoughts?
I think it's too much of a good thing and ppl don't have unlimited funds. Plus, timing is bad with all the mailers coming in at the same time, but can't do anything about that, Berserkerday is Berserkerday.

What I really missed was the gift card auctions from wine retailers. They didn't wanna participate this year?
Joe

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#61 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 28th, 2013, 1:00 pm

JKim wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:I'm receiving some feedback from veteran ITB'ers that their order count was down from last year, some significantly. Others are experiencing much higher results, but still, to have some of the stalwart offers that are ALWAYS popular see a reduction in orders makes me think that we might have gone too far, and had too many offers.

I'm considering next year doing a 'top 50' offers, and that only the best 50 will make the cut. Thoughts?
I think it's too much of a good thing and ppl don't have unlimited funds. Plus, timing is bad with all the mailers coming in at the same time, but can't do anything about that, Berserkerday is Berserkerday.

What I really missed was the gift card auctions from wine retailers. They didn't wanna participate this year?
JJ Buckley emailed me this morning that they are 'in', and I had to remind them that the event was yesterday [head-bang.gif]

Eric FW

#62 Post by Eric FW » January 28th, 2013, 1:29 pm

So can we all bid $1 on their gift certificates?
E ric W i s e
@PappyVanWise ITB

John Cabot
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#63 Post by John Cabot » January 28th, 2013, 2:01 pm

Thank you all for the overwhelming responce to our offer. We doubled last years total. Im happy to have held back enough of previous vintages to be able to offer you guys some "aged" wines and verticals. We are still processing all the orders and will get all of them out(with the exception of those who have requested us to hold for warmer temps) this week and next. If any of you would like me to hold your order please email me at johnjcabot3@gmail.com
Thanks again everyone!
Cabot Vineyards
Humboldt County

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#64 Post by c fu » January 28th, 2013, 2:15 pm

Eric FW wrote:So can we all bid $1 on their gift certificates?
i bid $248 or something on a $250 certificate last time. SAVED MYSELF TWO BUCKS YO
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by JKim » January 28th, 2013, 2:24 pm

Charlie Fu wrote:
i bid $248 or something on a $250 certificate last time. SAVED MYSELF TWO BUCKS YO
You bid $249.
Joe

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#66 Post by c fu » January 28th, 2013, 3:11 pm

JKim wrote:
Charlie Fu wrote:
You bid $249.
a dollar saved in a dollar earned Dr. Kim
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

awilliamson4

#67 Post by awilliamson4 » January 28th, 2013, 4:04 pm

Final thoughts: F*@k I spent way too much money.
In all seriousness, weekends do present a problem that I did not encounter over the last two year. I too am excited to be trying new wineries (Buttonwood, Halcon, Stefania) as well as some perennial favorites (Cabot, Jemrose etc) I think I really appreciated the old world offers from Down to Earth and Bestwines...also i would hate to see the event made smaller to only a maximum of offers. I know 2 people who could not get their shit together this year that will almost certainly be wanting to do an offer next year. Huge shout out to whoever got the Big Basin offer together and also a major F@*k off to that person as well because i am officially on wine hiatus after dealing with Matt yesterday (i bought 2 cases of it). To everyone who puts this on and helps make this happen Cheers and many thanks!
Best,
Alston
Alston Williamson
Hatersgonhate

John Willison

#68 Post by John Willison » January 28th, 2013, 5:25 pm

Have participated in each of the BDs. For me, Sunday is ideal. Interesting that some are more worried about being caught by their wife than having to work.

I like the sample packs to get exposure to new wineries, with other WBs comments/endorsements in the thread. Free shipping is always a big seller. Only one winery, Biggio Hamina, as far as I am tracking had the offer extend beyond the 1 day. I am buying some tonight, 'after the dust has settled'.

I would vote against the 'top 50' construct - the more the better. There is a lot of diverse tastes here. I am a Pinot-phile, but could see where some thought it was tilted that way this year.

All in all, a good experience. Thanks to everyone involved in making it happen.

Arthur Lev

#69 Post by Arthur Lev » January 28th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Given my goal of trying new wineries (bought from ten new ones this time), having BD on a weekend allowed more time for research. All in all, the offers were great. +1 with the suggestion to keep the deals posted in an order so they are readily found and tracked. Extreme kudos to Todd and the group that put all the effort in for this. Simply a great day .... [thankyou.gif]

timmy roos
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by timmy roos » January 28th, 2013, 6:03 pm

John Willison wrote:

I like the sample packs to get exposure to new wineries, with other WBs comments/endorsements in the thread. Free shipping is always a big seller. Only one winery, Biggio Hamina, as far as I am tracking had the offer extend beyond the 1 day. I am buying some tonight, 'after the dust has settled'.

Kendric's offer stands all week
Things are getting funny these day

Freelon F Hunter

#71 Post by Freelon F Hunter » January 28th, 2013, 6:28 pm

Liked the volume so would vote against Top 50 idea, even though I only prchased one offer. Resisted the Burg's only because I had purchased a bunch last summer, btw....

Brian Curtis

#72 Post by Brian Curtis » January 28th, 2013, 7:15 pm

Only one winery, Biggio Hamina, as far as I am tracking had the offer extend beyond the 1 day.
Dacalier, Kendric, and Kealla are going all week. Bailiwick and Stefania are going through Wednesday. Those are the ones I can remember. There may be others.

Randy Sloan
Subscriber
<dfn>Subscriber</dfn>

#73 Post by Randy Sloan » January 28th, 2013, 9:01 pm

I believe our BD sales were down a little bit but overall I was happy. In the past I suspected BD hurt my Spring release but am hoping that's not the case this year.

My suggestion is a firm deadline be established and adhered to for offers to be submitted to the committee. I'd like to see the offer list released to doners earlier. Offers should not start early. Then, on BD, all offers should be posted at once. I don't think the frantic uncertainty benefits ITBers or the buyers. Doners should have ample opportunity to plot their buying strategy and there shouldn't be a penalty to ITB who happens to be posted in the afternoon rather than in the AM.

Finally, and I hope this won't offend, but please please buyers realize that the many of the wineries and other ITB are participating because we are Berserk over wine as well and really appreciate this community. If you like our participation on BD, continue your support on the other 364 days of the year.
Randy Sloan
ITB - Wine Grower
Match Vineyards

Eric Werner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Eric Werner » January 28th, 2013, 9:08 pm

This is my third BD, and I have to say that I love it more each year. I can't wait to try the wine I ordered (seven orders), but I am oddly excited about what lies ahead for next year.

As for the weekend -vs- weekday debate, I am fully in favor of the weekend. Why? My work has barred me fom accessing this site (as well as every other "chat" room). So, if BD goes back to the a weekday, I will be left picking through the dregs (although, there are some pretty good dregs on BD).

Greg Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Greg Smith » January 28th, 2013, 9:46 pm

I liked the Sunday date. Must be a lot of newlyweds. My wife had no problem as she drinks most of the wine anyway. I use Berserker Day to try wines I haven't tried before or had a chance to try (Rasa). Like the free shipping offers simply for the fact that you know what the final cost is and not because its always "free". Like the lower buy-in amounts that allow you to try new wines. A mag of Match for $100 was nice. To me the day is about trying new wines even though you can't pass on the some of the un-passables like Cabot. Would be against the 50 limit.

Andrew Morris

#76 Post by Andrew Morris » January 28th, 2013, 9:58 pm

Randy Sloan wrote:I believe our BD sales were down a little bit but overall I was happy. In the past I suspected BD hurt my Spring release but am hoping that's not the case this year.

My suggestion is a firm deadline be established and adhered to for offers to be submitted to the committee. I'd like to see the offer list released to doners earlier. Offers should not start early. Then, on BD, all offers should be posted at once. I don't think the frantic uncertainty benefits ITBers or the buyers. Doners should have ample opportunity to plot their buying strategy and there shouldn't be a penalty to ITB who happens to be posted in the afternoon rather than in the AM.

Finally, and I hope this won't offend, but please please buyers realize that the many of the wineries and other ITB are participating because we are Berserk over wine as well and really appreciate this community. If you like our participation on BD, continue your support on the other 364 days of the year.
+1 on everything except the part about B-Day hurting my Spring Release.

Regardless, a fun event. It is great to see the offers everyone puts out there!
Last edited by Andrew Morris on January 28th, 2013, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Morris

Stewart Johnson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Stewart Johnson » January 28th, 2013, 10:11 pm

Let's pull in the reins a little on the "win-win" pronouncements. I understand why "free shipping" and "small samplers" both make it onto a lot of wish lists, but I think people should recognize the incompatibility of those two items. There is simply nothing rational about shipping small quantities of wine. Someone is going to take it in the ass anytime a two-pack of wine is shipped. Offering free shipping doesn't make the absurd per bottle expense associated with such a shipment disappear into the ether. If you're talking about shipping across the country and the wine itself was discounted at all, there's not much left in it for the winery.
ITB
Kendric Vineyards

Andrew Morris

#78 Post by Andrew Morris » January 28th, 2013, 10:29 pm

Stewart Johnson wrote:Let's pull in the reins a little on the "win-win" pronouncements. I understand why "free shipping" and "small samplers" both make it onto a lot of wish lists, but I think people should recognize the incompatibility of those two items. There is simply nothing rational about shipping small quantities of wine. Someone is going to take it in the ass anytime a two-pack of wine is shipped. Offering free shipping doesn't make the absurd per bottle expense associated with such a shipment disappear into the ether. If you're talking about shipping across the country and the wine itself was discounted at all, there's not much left in it for the winery.
I understand why people like the free shipping. Clarity. On the other hand, how does everyone set the price? Assume the highest shipping, and come out ahead on closer customers? Guess at the average? Let the nice people in CA & OR subsidize the people in the rest of the country? My approach has been to pass along the actual discounted Fedex rate. I guess that puts some people off. I think it is worth noting that there is no "Free Shipping". Just, "Shipping is Included in the Price". People do like the word "free".
Andrew Morris

Anthony Hall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Anthony Hall » January 29th, 2013, 12:14 am

Any way to filter out Berserker Day from "New Posts" ? It's spam for some of us.
I used to have a modest burgundyman url as a signature. Now if you want to learn about luxury winelover accomodation in Meursault you have to finish reading this much more promotional sentence and press the button with 3 W's in it.

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by David K o l i n » January 29th, 2013, 6:26 am

Anthony Hall wrote:Any way to filter out Berserker Day from "New Posts" ? It's spam for some of us.
C'mon, Anthony - man up. [snort.gif] It's only for a day (OK, a couple) and supports this terrific site

Travis D.

#81 Post by Travis D. » January 29th, 2013, 6:45 am

Stewart Johnson wrote:Let's pull in the reins a little on the "win-win" pronouncements. I understand why "free shipping" and "small samplers" both make it onto a lot of wish lists, but I think people should recognize the incompatibility of those two items. There is simply nothing rational about shipping small quantities of wine. Someone is going to take it in the ass anytime a two-pack of wine is shipped. Offering free shipping doesn't make the absurd per bottle expense associated with such a shipment disappear into the ether. If you're talking about shipping across the country and the wine itself was discounted at all, there's not much left in it for the winery.
I do believe there are many advantages that the winery take into account when participating in an event like this, and it is not always just about meeting a certain profit margin. In addition to sales, they get exposure to a great community and the ability to clear out inventory or create initial sales/buzz for new releases. Not only do they get exposure, their wines make it into the hands and mouths of Wine Berserker board members, who will hopefully then rant and rave about what a great purchase they made and tell everyone they should pick some up right away - both in the forum and in person. I thinking the marketing of their brand competes with the profit margins for the day, which is why I think we actually see so many deals that include "win-win" small packs with free shipping. The 'win-win' aspect of the BD offers are not all for the consumer - it's for the winery and consumer. The winery would obviously make more money selling these products over the long term at regular price, but they ensure that they have customers to sell to now and in the future by participating in events like Berserker Day. Depending on their business strategy for the event (or any marketing event), they could generate profit, break even or even lose money. Though hopefully, no money spent on marketing is 'lost', you reap the benefits in the weeks and months following.

Can't wait to see what offers come our way next year!
Travis D e d e k

Edward H. Earles

?!

#82 Post by Edward H. Earles » January 29th, 2013, 8:12 am

loren.grossman wrote:I thought it was great and spent extra time and money on the newest, smallest labels (when I could - Nicora sold out in a heart beat!). I thought the variety was very good (agree on the pinot centric comment but not complaining) and would encourage even greater focus on variety if possible. So much happening in the US with vermentino, ribolla gialla, aglianico, tempranillo and the like...this seems like a great venue to find and experiment with those folks...
I agree, this event should be used to help those of us who aren't on the west coast, to explore wine styles we find hard to acquire here. Todd, how about finding some producers of single-varietal Petit Verdot to make some offers next year?!

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Re: ?!

#83 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 29th, 2013, 8:22 am

Edward H. Earles wrote:
loren.grossman wrote:I thought it was great and spent extra time and money on the newest, smallest labels (when I could - Nicora sold out in a heart beat!). I thought the variety was very good (agree on the pinot centric comment but not complaining) and would encourage even greater focus on variety if possible. So much happening in the US with vermentino, ribolla gialla, aglianico, tempranillo and the like...this seems like a great venue to find and experiment with those folks...
I agree, this event should be used to help those of us who aren't on the west coast, to explore wine styles we find hard to acquire here. Todd, how about finding some producers of single-varietal Petit Verdot to make some offers next year?!
I can't secure wineries around the country single-handedly, and even the committee has a tough time reaching out, so I think for situations such as this (which I would LOVE to see on BerserkerDay, btw), the best way is to put the wineries in contact with me when you think of them. When you find a winery making vermentino or single-varietal Petit Verdot, talk to them about BerserkerDay and explain how perfect it would be for them - get them in touch with me and I'll have them on a hot list for next year! Let's leverage the geographical advantage we have, being an international community, and put together some great new wines and wineries for next year!

gemschaefer

#84 Post by gemschaefer » January 29th, 2013, 9:18 am

I am sooooo bummed I missed this. I had so much fun last year with our new brand. I was on an airplane back from Tampa and I couldn't risk not being able to help people with our system with special codes and such. If you are interested in getting a vertical of AZ wines from Mountain Terraces.. I would love to share them with you. I have 2008 and 2009 Apollo, Athena and Zeus.. I will do the 6 bottles for $300 all in (great deal).. email me and I will fix you up. gloria@akomazoume.com I hope you had fun!
Gloria Schaefer
Vintner

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Mark Y » January 29th, 2013, 9:50 am

Travis D. wrote:
I do believe there are many advantages that the winery take into account when participating in an event like this, and it is not always just about meeting a certain profit margin. In addition to sales, they get exposure to a great community and the ability to clear out inventory or create initial sales/buzz for new releases. Not only do they get exposure, their wines make it into the hands and mouths of Wine Berserker board members, who will hopefully then rant and rave about what a great purchase they made and tell everyone they should pick some up right away - both in the forum and in person. I thinking the marketing of their brand competes with the profit margins for the day, which is why I think we actually see so many deals that include "win-win" small packs with free shipping. The 'win-win' aspect of the BD offers are not all for the consumer - it's for the winery and consumer. The winery would obviously make more money selling these products over the long term at regular price, but they ensure that they have customers to sell to now and in the future by participating in events like Berserker Day. Depending on their business strategy for the event (or any marketing event), they could generate profit, break even or even lose money. Though hopefully, no money spent on marketing is 'lost', you reap the benefits in the weeks and months following.

Can't wait to see what offers come our way next year!
+1... Marketing 101...
Y.e.

J Fontamillas
Contributor
Contributor

#86 Post by J Fontamillas » January 29th, 2013, 10:34 am

Final thoughts?

I need to stay away from commerce corner for the rest of the year...
Cheers! J for J e s u s

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Scott Watkins » January 29th, 2013, 12:07 pm

I like the idea of listing all the offers at once. By the time Johan (a favorite of mine) showed up I was all tapped out.

Overall a great and fun lineup [cheers.gif]
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

awilliamson4

#88 Post by awilliamson4 » January 29th, 2013, 12:43 pm

I too like the idea of all of the offers going up at once...not sure if this is feasible but it would be cool to have you lock the forum and post all of the threads and then maybe unlock the forum only for donors for the first hour or 2...again not sure if that is possible but it would be a pretty cool way to do it.
Alston Williamson
Hatersgonhate

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by Ted Erfer » January 29th, 2013, 1:52 pm

This was a great event - lots of choice and many new wineries participating. I ended up taking two offers. Did a bit more last year but have generally cut back on purchases. This is a great way to dip one's toe into some new wines. The donor spreadsheet really helped. This year, I had a preview of some of the wines at Pinot Days NY - which was Saturday.

As to reduction in orders....might be that they have converted us to "regular" customers. Would be interesting to know how the first-timers did with their offers. Todd: did you compare the web traffic with last year?

Many thanks to Todd and the crew for all the hard work. And a very big thanks to all the wineries who support our great community.

Now, how many days until Berserker Day V?

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#90 Post by Eric Lundblad » January 29th, 2013, 2:10 pm

I have a couple of 6 packs available (through end of Wendesday)...check out the Ladd Cellars thread for how/what to contact me if you're interested
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Dan Rinke
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Dan Rinke » January 29th, 2013, 2:23 pm

awilliamson4 wrote:I too like the idea of all of the offers going up at once...not sure if this is feasible but it would be cool to have you lock the forum and post all of the threads and then maybe unlock the forum only for donors for the first hour or 2...again not sure if that is possible but it would be a pretty cool way to do it.
Overall our first time participation of BD was a very positive experience. [thankyou.gif]
I was wondering if something like this is possible but have the vendors post their own offers to encourage vendor participation and discussion with the board? Maybe have Todd approve the offers first to make sure they are quality offers. I think that may lift the burden a little and help Todd and the BD committee participate in the day more
ITB
Johan Vineyards
Art+Science

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#92 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 29th, 2013, 2:25 pm

Dan Rinke wrote:
awilliamson4 wrote:I too like the idea of all of the offers going up at once...not sure if this is feasible but it would be cool to have you lock the forum and post all of the threads and then maybe unlock the forum only for donors for the first hour or 2...again not sure if that is possible but it would be a pretty cool way to do it.
Overall our first time participation of BD was a very positive experience. [thankyou.gif]
I was wondering if something like this is possible but have the vendors post their own offers to encourage vendor participation and discussion with the board? Maybe have Todd approve the offers first to make sure they are quality offers. I think that may lift the burden a little and help Todd and the BD committee participate in the day more
For the first time, I might actually consider this!

I can make the forum live only to Donors for a day or two, then the public, and I can get the ITB'ers access to the forum to post early if they want as well. I can't sort by time, that I know of, but I'll look into it.

Edward H. Earles

Re: ?!

#93 Post by Edward H. Earles » January 29th, 2013, 2:32 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote: I can't secure wineries around the country single-handedly, and even the committee has a tough time reaching out, so I think for situations such as this (which I would LOVE to see on BerserkerDay, btw), the best way is to put the wineries in contact with me when you think of them. When you find a winery making vermentino or single-varietal Petit Verdot, talk to them about BerserkerDay and explain how perfect it would be for them - get them in touch with me and I'll have them on a hot list for next year! Let's leverage the geographical advantage we have, being an international community, and put together some great new wines and wineries for next year!
I'm certainly happy to do what I can in this regard, but I live a long way from wine country (in Kentucky) and local access to interesting wines is extremely limited (which is one of the main reasons I joined WB in the first place, to improve my access). I'm pretty much limited to internet research without taking trips to the west coast. I'll prod wineries when I can.

Randy Sloan
Subscriber
<dfn>Subscriber</dfn>

#94 Post by Randy Sloan » January 30th, 2013, 12:50 pm

Andrew Morris wrote:On the other hand, how does everyone set the price [for shipping]? Assume the highest shipping, and come out ahead on closer customers? Guess at the average? Let the nice people in CA & OR subsidize the people in the rest of the country? My approach has been to pass along the actual discounted Fedex rate. I guess that puts some people off. I think it is worth noting that there is no "Free Shipping". Just, "Shipping is Included in the Price". People do like the word "free".
Andrew, I tried doing what you describe when I first started direct sales: just passing my shipping costs with 3rd party fulfillment on to customers. It didn't fly. What I ended up doing is tried to balance my retail price, pay for shipping for a high enough purchase level, and then I subsidize the shipping below that level to try to get the price I charge for shipping down closer to where folks are used to paying to self ship their olive oil bottles in a used shipper from a Kinkos.

It's a tough plan to execute with an online store but folks want to know right away what they will be paying in shipping. My online store will integrate with UPS and quote UPS rates. However, so that I don't get the full price returned, I programmed the store with lighter weights for the wine so that the price I quote and charge my customers comes out less than UPS and the third party will charge me, however, it does end up still being based on order size and delivery location. It's not perfect, but seems to work.
Randy Sloan
ITB - Wine Grower
Match Vineyards

Return to “BerserkerDay IV (January 27, 2013)”