The "how I got caught" thread

Often the most expensive day for a Wine Berserker, whereby the deals from wineries and retailers fill the forum and make your credit cards scream for mercy...
JoeD

The "how I got caught" thread

#1 Post by JoeD » January 27th, 2013, 8:25 pm

Since some of us did some damage today, I figured it would be interesting to hear how some of you "got caught" by your significant other.

2 years ago I was snowboarding at vail and borrowed my wife's iPad to pick some deals. I must have left the order confirmation tabs up because later that night I heard the "were you ordering wine from a ski lift!?!?!??

Tonight I headed out to play hockey, stopped for gas. Cc declined. Phone rings 2 mins later... Wide got a call from visa fraud alert. "how much wine did you order!?!?"

Im planning to put this on her calendar for next year... Good thing she likes great wine!
-J0E D@BR0WSK1

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: The "how I got caught" thread

#2 Post by Paul Miller » January 28th, 2013, 4:43 am

I think I mentioned this earlier today in another thread, but spent most of Fri and Sat updating my inv in CellarTracker then moving some boxes into new offsite storage. Wife helped me move the boxes. Became crystal clear how much wine we have. She was not amused.

Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Joe B » January 28th, 2013, 5:12 am

Im almost up to 100 bottles. My girlfriend and her whole family are wine people. And financially we are not on the same level so she is really eyeballing my wines. Caught me? Maybe, we will see.
J W@ll @ce

SteveC

#4 Post by SteveC » January 28th, 2013, 5:16 am

Updated Cellartracker not realizing that I had left the Facebook feature on. Calls from her (and quite a few friends) saying, "you bought HOW MANY CaSES?!!!!"
Ste ve C o yl e
""Too Much Wine, Too Little Time"
"Life is Too Short to Drink Bad Wine."
"Damn You GC, You Have Cost Me Loads of Money by Introducing Me to This Obsession!!"

Travis D.

#5 Post by Travis D. » January 28th, 2013, 5:46 am

I made a deal that I wouldn't question her purchases this weekend if she didn't question mine. I made out well, but thinking she may have made out better. Checking the CC statement now. Burn - haha
Travis D e d e k

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Paul Miller » January 28th, 2013, 6:24 am

SteveC wrote:Updated Cellartracker not realizing that I had left the Facebook feature on. Calls from her (and quite a few friends) saying, "you bought HOW MANY CaSES?!!!!"
I did that with Twitter one time. Started getting messages wondering what the heck was going on. Looked online like I was buying one bottle after another after another....

Brian Gilp

#7 Post by Brian Gilp » January 28th, 2013, 6:41 am

Not sure if my situation is better or not. Not worried about my wife catching me as she was participating yesterday and responsible for some of the purchases. Don't need to hide purchases but it is harder to keep things in check without the fear of discovery.

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by David K o l i n » January 28th, 2013, 7:05 am

I'm always pretty upfront with my wife on wine purchases, but she made it easier yesterday when she came home with a new Coach bag
Last edited by David K o l i n on January 28th, 2013, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by JKim » January 28th, 2013, 7:28 am

My wife is cool with the wine hobby. The only thing she ever says is if I picked up more 96 Krug cuz she loves that bottle so much. She just had some Westvleteren XII this weekend that a friend shared with us and she says she can't drink any other beer now. Asked me to get some Westy...umm sure...maybe next Nov. She knows nothing about wine and beer, but knows what she likes...and likes the expensive stuff.
Joe

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#10 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 28th, 2013, 8:50 am

JKim wrote:My wife is cool with the wine hobby. The only thing she ever says is if I picked up more 96 Krug cuz she loves that bottle so much. She just had some Westvleteren XII this weekend that a friend shared with us and she says she can't drink any other beer now. Asked me to get some Westy...umm sure...maybe next Nov. She knows nothing about wine and beer, but knows what she likes...and likes the expensive stuff.
And it appears we have similar taste in women, as that sounds awfully familiar [cheers.gif]

(too bad I'm not a doctor)
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#11 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 28th, 2013, 9:23 am

JKim wrote:My wife is cool with the wine hobby. The only thing she ever says is if I picked up more 96 Krug cuz she loves that bottle so much. She just had some Westvleteren XII this weekend that a friend shared with us and she says she can't drink any other beer now. Asked me to get some Westy...umm sure...maybe next Nov. She knows nothing about wine and beer, but knows what she likes...and likes the expensive stuff.
Does she usually like Belgian quads and/or Barleywines?
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

J. Singleton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by J. Singleton » January 28th, 2013, 9:30 am

David K o l i n wrote:I'm always pretty upfront with my wife on wine purchases, but she made it easier yesterday when she came home with a new Coach bag
Ask her if you can borrow the bag to haul around that 3L bottle of Kutch you're getting. [stirthepothal.gif]
Jeb
Berserker #7
CT: DC202
IG: jeb.singleton

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » January 28th, 2013, 9:36 am

I just told her that I bought wine.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Dusty Gillson

#14 Post by Dusty Gillson » January 28th, 2013, 9:41 am

I'm actually the more reasonable of the two of us. A couple of times yesterday I would go "Ohhhhh.. . . . " at something and she would say "Get it!" If I bought everything she ok'd, we would be in the poor house for sure. She always says something like, "If you're willing to spend money on it, I know it must be good."

The only impass is that I like Pinot, she likes Zinfandel, and we both like Cab. Sauv.
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever. - Aristophanes

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#15 Post by c fu » January 28th, 2013, 10:26 am

Those Taiwanese. All label whores :p
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

cweaver

#16 Post by cweaver » January 28th, 2013, 10:32 am

After an afternoon of ordering wine from work, Visa thought it could be possibly fraudulent and called the house to verify the orders... My wife answered. She then called me from her cell to verify vendors and dollar amounts on 5 orders. After the third , " Yes that was my order." I was starting to sweat and thought I was in big trouble.
All she said was, " I guess I get to go shoe shopping this weekend!"
Chris

JoeD

#17 Post by JoeD » January 28th, 2013, 10:37 am

I love the theme with many of us here... if you spend "X" on berserker day, our wives go off and revenge-spend "2x" on purses.
-J0E D@BR0WSK1

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by JKim » January 28th, 2013, 10:50 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
I don't know. She's not much of a drinker, but the Westy blew her away. Actually, my expectations were sky high for Westy and it met my expectations. I loved it. My buddy says St. Bernardus ABT 12 is similar and pretty tasty also and easy to find. I'm gonna go pick up some St. Bernardus, but that Westy is haunting. Damn, the Westy was fanfreakintastic!
Joe

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#19 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » January 28th, 2013, 10:54 am

LOL. I think if you get the fraud alert call, that's really saying something. Ha!
Vincent - ITB

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by cjsavino » January 28th, 2013, 11:50 am

Got a call after placing and order with Veronica, who is this hi times wines calling.
Chris

Carlos Delpin

#21 Post by Carlos Delpin » January 28th, 2013, 1:25 pm

This is one of the reasons why I keep a wine locker in Chicago, far from prying eyes!

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#22 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 28th, 2013, 1:28 pm

Carlos Delpin wrote:This is one of the reasons why I keep a wine locker in Chicago, far from prying eyes!
So THAT'S why I had to send the La Chapelle you bought from me to Chicago!!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Scott Watkins » January 28th, 2013, 2:47 pm

I actually made mention to my wife yesterday that it was Berserker Day for which I only received a cross look, thought she took it pretty well.....this morning I woke up went to the computer and found a sign attached to the keyboard "DO NOT BUY ANYMORE WINE!"
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#24 Post by c fu » January 28th, 2013, 3:09 pm

JKim wrote:
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
I don't know. She's not much of a drinker, but the Westy blew her away. Actually, my expectations were sky high for Westy and it met my expectations. I loved it. My buddy says St. Bernardus ABT 12 is similar and pretty tasty also and easy to find. I'm gonna go pick up some St. Bernardus, but that Westy is haunting. Damn, the Westy was fanfreakintastic!
we may know someone that can get it for us and hold it newhere
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

C. Grimm

#25 Post by C. Grimm » January 28th, 2013, 3:48 pm

I only bought 2.5 cases - 2 cases were cheap everyday drinkers, so I didn't mind saying mentioning, as we need more everyday drinkers. BUT speaking of getting caught this weekend...

A couple of weeks ago I had an afternoon business in the city. Leslie is not available on Wednesday evenings (I kid you not - agility training with the dog). I was in a funky mood, so walked uptown to Columbus Circle and had dinner in the Salon at Per Se. Didn't bother mentioning it for the same reason we don't always mention our wine purchases.

A week ago I ate dinner at the bar at the Whelk, the best local restaurant here in Westport. Anyhoo, I was chatting it up with Doug the Bartender, who is also a big eater and who did not know about Salon. So on Saturday, well you can guess what is coming, Leslie and I went to the Whelk to have dinner at the bar, Doug came over and enthusiastically started in with "so glad you told me about the Salon at Per Se..."

Isn't there supposed to be some Code of Silence with a bartender?
Chris

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#26 Post by c fu » January 28th, 2013, 3:59 pm

C. Grimm wrote:I only bought 2.5 cases - 2 cases were cheap everyday drinkers, so I didn't mind saying mentioning, as we need more everyday drinkers. BUT speaking of getting caught this weekend...

A couple of weeks ago I had an afternoon business in the city. Leslie is not available on Wednesday evenings (I kid you not - agility training with the dog). I was in a funky mood, so walked uptown to Columbus Circle and had dinner in the Salon at Per Se. Didn't bother mentioning it for the same reason we don't always mention our wine purchases.

A week ago I ate dinner at the bar at the Whelk, the best local restaurant here in Westport. Anyhoo, I was chatting it up with Doug the Bartender, who is also a big eater and who did not know about Salon. So on Saturday, well you can guess what is coming, Leslie and I went to the Whelk to have dinner at the bar, Doug came over and enthusiastically started in with "so glad you told me about the Salon at Per Se..."

While having lunch with my mom and wife this saturday my mom brought up a large payment made from my savings account to my credit card (my mom's account and mine have been linked since the dawn of time and I've been too lazy to remove her from it) for some recent wine purchases. Talk about the bartender throwing you up the bus, my mom screwed me! newhere
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#27 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 28th, 2013, 4:08 pm

Charlie Fu wrote:
C. Grimm wrote:I only bought 2.5 cases - 2 cases were cheap everyday drinkers, so I didn't mind saying mentioning, as we need more everyday drinkers. BUT speaking of getting caught this weekend...

While having lunch with my mom and wife this saturday my mom brought up a large payment made from my savings account to my credit card (my mom's account and mine have been linked since the dawn of time and I've been too lazy to remove her from it) for some recent wine purchases. Talk about the bartender throwing you up the bus, my mom screwed me! newhere
Is there now a weekly 'Charlie Fu makes so much money...' post on Wine Berserkers? Last week we had the 'my paycheck is too much for electronic deposit limits' and this year we have a talk about large sums of money transacted in your account with your mommy. I wonder what next week will bring! flirtysmile

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#28 Post by c fu » January 28th, 2013, 4:31 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Charlie Fu wrote:

Is there now a weekly 'Charlie Fu makes so much money...' post on Wine Berserkers? Last week we had the 'my paycheck is too much for electronic deposit limits' and this year we have a talk about large sums of money transacted in your account with your mommy. I wonder what next week will bring! flirtysmile
I am a poor attorney compared to the likes of you south oc folks with your international weddings newhere
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

John Willison

#29 Post by John Willison » January 28th, 2013, 5:03 pm

My wife walked by mid buying spree and asked, 'What are you buying?'.
Reply, 'mostly Oregon Pinot'.
Next question, 'Good deals?'.
Reply, 'Yep'.
Answer, 'I'm in for half'.

Nice....First wife was a beer drkinker. 2nd marriages are so much better.

P. Robert
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by P. Robert » January 28th, 2013, 5:33 pm

John Willison wrote:My wife walked by mid buying spree and asked, 'What are you buying?'.
Reply, 'mostly Oregon Pinot'.
Next question, 'Good deals?'.
Reply, 'Yep'.
Answer, 'I'm in for half'.

Nice....First wife was a beer drkinker. 2nd marriages are so much better.
[winner.gif] [welldone.gif]
Ph1l1p

Nancy Dolce
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Nancy Dolce » January 28th, 2013, 5:39 pm

My purchases were modest. First one I reminded DH how much he enjoyed the POE wines at Falltacular last year. I just told him I had to go up to the PC in my office to order him some wine...

Then I went for some Cabot...
Nancy Dolce
North San Diego County

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Peter Kleban » January 28th, 2013, 7:56 pm

Scott W wrote:I actually made mention to my wife yesterday that it was Berserker Day for which I only received a cross look, thought she took it pretty well.....this morning I woke up went to the computer and found a sign attached to the keyboard "DO NOT BUY ANYMORE WINE!"
That's what I like. A subtle hint [snort.gif] [cheers.gif]

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Ken V » January 28th, 2013, 8:08 pm

I just told her "Don't you nevermind, Woman. You get back in that kitchen and cook me some vittles!"

Todd, she's not a member here, right? Image
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek
Click on the W W W button under my name to see my website.
"Don't be meek, embrace the geek." -Terry Theise
Twitter: @FineWineGeek

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Randy Bowman » January 28th, 2013, 8:26 pm

I was getting ready to buy something and all of a sudden, I was floating in the water, no computer screen, I didn't know where I was.

IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Rick Smith

#35 Post by Rick Smith » January 29th, 2013, 4:27 am

Charlie Fu wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Charlie Fu wrote:While having lunch with my mom and wife this saturday my mom brought up a large payment made from my savings account to my credit card (my mom's account and mine have been linked since the dawn of time and I've been too lazy to remove her from it) for some recent wine purchases. Talk about the bartender throwing you up the bus, my mom screwed me! newhere
I am a poor attorney compared to the likes of you south oc folks with your international weddings newhere
Holy Victor 2.0!

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Nate Simon » January 29th, 2013, 9:38 am

jdabrowski1027 wrote: Tonight I headed out to play hockey, stopped for gas. Cc declined. Phone rings 2 mins later... Wide got a call from visa fraud alert. "how much wine did you order!?!?"
A fraud alert? Was there a Garagiste offer that I missed?

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Peter Kleban » January 29th, 2013, 11:05 am

jdabrowski1027 wrote:
Tonight I headed out to play hockey, stopped for gas. Cc declined. Phone rings 2 mins later... Wide got a call from visa fraud alert. "how much wine did you order!?!?"
For the next time, set it up so they call your wife first--save you the trouble [snort.gif] neener

Edward H. Earles

#38 Post by Edward H. Earles » January 29th, 2013, 3:11 pm

Rochefort 10 is a good substitute for Westvleteren (I actually like the Rochefort better), and a damn sight easier to find.

God help you if she discovers Cantillon. [help.gif]

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by JKim » January 29th, 2013, 4:28 pm

Edward H. Earles wrote:
Rochefort 10 is a good substitute for Westvleteren (I actually like the Rochefort better), and a damn sight easier to find.

We have Rochefort 10 at home. I think Westy blows it away. What is this Cantillon you speak of?
Joe

Edward H. Earles

#40 Post by Edward H. Earles » January 29th, 2013, 4:32 pm

JKim wrote:
Edward H. Earles wrote:

We have Rochefort 10 at home. I think Westy blows it away. What is this Cantillon you speak of?
Cantillon is to beer, what Romanee-Conti is to wine.

http://www.cantillon.be/br/3_1

Best of the best. Difficult to acquire, and worth the effort.

Edited to add: Stylistically, Cantillon is nothing at all like Westvleteren. These beers are fermented with wild yeast, and have a strong Brettanomyces character. They are tart, bitter, dry, leathery, horse-blankety, and above comparison.
Last edited by Edward H. Earles on January 29th, 2013, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W. Leonard

#41 Post by W. Leonard » January 29th, 2013, 4:34 pm

And a completely different style...........
warren@weygandtwines.com

Return to “BerserkerDay IV (January 27, 2013)”