Johan Vineyards - Oregon Gem!

Johan Vineyards
We reside on 175 acres of gently sloping hills in the Mid-Willamette Valley. Adjacent to the Van Duzer Corridor - an East to West running corridor through the Oregon coast range - the vineyards benefit from moderating afternoon ocean breezes. As the valley heats up on warm summer days it creates a sink for the cool maritime breezes that are pulled through the corridor and across the vineyard. The result is a daily beating by the Van Duzer winds lowering the average daily temperatures 2-3°F compared to the Dundee Hills and other sub regions of the Willamette Valley. The cooler, slower growing season allows the fruit to obtain ripe flavors at lower sugar levels and higher acidity. For Johan Vineyards, the Missoula Floods devastation through the valley has resulted in a very complex soil composition, characterized by shallow top soils with a high concentration of decomposed granite.
Our farming philosophy is to integrate natural farming methods with the most advanced viticultural research to produce the highest possible quality fruit that is true to its terroir. In 2010 we received both Organic Certification and Biodynamic Certification from Demeter USA. Following Biodynamic principals in the cellar all fermentations are uninoculated and with the exception of minimal sulfites the wines are free of additives. We believe in limited use of new French oak to support but not overwhelm the character of the wine. All cap management is done by use of hands and feet. The long, cooler growing season at our vineyard ensures advanced lignification of the stems and therefore we utilize a high percentage of whole cluster in the winemaking. The resulting wines are structured and precise emphasizing elevated floral aromatics with savory spice elements.

1.) Nils 3 pack vertical; BerserkerDay IV deal $115 (regular price $150) and free shipping and a $5 donation to Wine Berserkers for every 3 pack sold. Limited to the first 15 packs sold.

Nils Reserve is a barrel selection of our most structured Pinot Noir, expressing both the power and elegance of our estate grown fruit. The high percentage of whole cluster, and extended élevage, results in a wine that will benefit from time in the bottle.
2007 Nils Reserve Pinot Noir ($55 SRP) 92 pts Josh Raynolds - Steven Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar, May/June 2009
2008 Nils Reserve Pinot Noir ($50 SRP) 92 pts Josh Raynolds - Steven Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar, July/Aug 2011
2009 Nils Reserve Pinot Noir ($45 SRP) 91 pts Josh Raynolds - Steven Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar, July 20012

2.) Pinot Noir Estate 6 pack; BeserkerDay IV deal $140 (regular price $168) and free shipping and a $5 donation to Wine Berserkers for every 6 pack sold.

2009 Estate Pinot Noir was made from our selection of estate grown fruit. The grapes were fermented (both primary and malo-lactic) using exclusively native yeast, with approximately 42% whole-cluster. The wine was aged for 11 months in French oak barrels (32% new). It clearly represents the characters and nuances of Johan Vineyards as well as the 2009 growing-season.

3.) White wine mixed 3 pack; BerserkerDay IV deal $80 (regular price $91) and free shipping and a $5 donation to Wine Berserkers for every 3 pack sold. A mixed 3 pack of our 2010 Reserve Chardonnay, 2011 Estate Gruner Veltliner, and 2011 Drueskall Pinot Gris.

The 2010 Johan Vineyards Reserve Chardonnay ($33 SRP) is made from our estate vineyards. The grapes used in this wine are from block 6 and is made from a blend of Chardonnay Dijon Clones 76 and 95. This wine was barrel fermented with native yeasts in French Oak (50% new) and sur lie aged for 18 months where it was allowed to finish malo-lactic fermentation.

The 2011 Johan Vineyards Grüner Veltliner ($24 SRP) is made from our estate vineyards. The grapes were crushed and destemmed before given a three-day cold soak prior to pressing. It was barrel fermented with native yeasts in 500 liter French oak barrels and sur lie aged (without stirring) for 11 months where it was allowed to go through partial malo-lactic fermentation.

The 2011 Johan Vineyards Drueskall Pinot Gris ($34 SRP) is made from our estate vineyards. The Drueskall - which means grape skin in Norwegian - is an orange wine or a skin macerated Pinot Gris. This wine was crafted in two different ways before it was blended: The first half of the grapes were destemmed and allowed to ferment for 14 days on the skins in a concrete tank. It was then pressed and barreled down were it finished fermentation and aged for 14 months. The other half went through carbonic maceration for 28 days before it was pressed and left to age in barrel for the remaining 13 months.

Email us the order to info@johanvineyards.com or call the winery at 503-576-0065 and include a phone number and we will call to get CC info that will include the following information:

• Credit Card Number
  • Expiration Date
  • Code on the back of the card
  • Billing Address
  • Phone Number
  • Email Address
  • Date of Birth
  • Shipping Address where someone 21 or older can sign for the wine and we cannot ship to MA, NH, ND, and UT.

Thank you so much for letting us be a part of this incredible day!

Saving the best offer for last?

Precisely! Don’t let these people let you think for one second that they are tapped out! Lies.

[thankyou.gif] Thanks Jeb for getting us in at the last minute!

One of my absolute favorite Oregon producers, period. Scary-good deal too…

Thanks for all of the kind words Beau!

Perhaps my favorite Oregon Pinot Noir producer… 90% of my cellar is old world, but living in Oregon I get to taste quite a lot of new world Pinot. Not much of it winds up in my cellar as I actually find greater value elsewhere in the world. I have every vintage of Johan, though. These are Pinot Noirs of grace and elegance that will age beautifully. I first discovered these wines in 2009 and completely fell in love with them. I think their wines are very reasonably priced as is, but at these prices it’s definitely worth diving in.

Full disclosure, if you have to call it that, as this vineyard and the philosophies they stand for perfectly represents what I love in wine I asked them if I could be married there. My wife and I did just that, getting married among the Pinot Vines. My love for the wines came first, though, and I’m glad they’re continuing to make some of the best Oregon Pinots out there.

David

Thanks D.P., I really respect your palate, thanks for the compliments, that means a lot to me.

Great note, David.