BerserkerDay IV Master Thread (discussions, info, etc - FIRST POST UPDATED)

Often the most expensive day for a Wine Berserker, whereby the deals from wineries and retailers fill the forum and make your credit cards scream for mercy...
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

BerserkerDay IV Master Thread (discussions, info, etc - FIRST POST UPDATED)

#1 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 4th, 2013, 10:16 am

Yes, folks, it is coming! BerserkerDay 2013 is soon upon us, once again - the 4th, and finest iteration of this glorious and remarkably expensive day for wine lovers. Each year we set new records for participants, and new records for forum traffic (typically double even the biggest day).

This year, be sure to tell your friends, as I'm opening the forum up to anyone who wants to see it - you don't HAVE to be registered (unless you have an order that requires you to PM the winery, in that case, you better register!) to see the deals. We'll have a Twitter hashtag of #berserkerday and hope that you can post your favorite threads on Facebook as well on the 27th.

Again I had the assistance of a committee of Berserkers, and I thank them for helping out. The good news is that they were able to create a list that is larger than ever before. The bad news is that I have to post and manage that list, with all its last minute changes! Note that I have a performance the evening of the 27th, and Jeb Singleton - BerserkerDay Veteran - has agreed to post the last few offers that I can't get to prior to me leaving for LA. I hate missing the action, but wow I'll be happy at intermission looking at what transpired in my absence!!

So what companies are participating, you ask? Here's a partial list:

Alpha Omega
Amitié Wines
Anderson's Conn Valley
Anne Amie
Ayoub
Bailiwick Wines
Best Wines Online
Big Basin Vineyards
Big Basin Vineyards
Biggio Hamina
Briceland Vineyards
Buttonwood Winery
Cabot Vineyards
Calluna Vineyards
Campesino Cellars
Cellars 33
Chester's Anvil
Clos Saron
Dacalier Wine Co.
Denison Cellars
Down to Earth Wines
Drew Family
Dunstan Wines
EMH - Black Cat Vineyards
Fielding Hills
Fogline Vineyards
Fulcrum Wines
Gourmet Delights
Guilliams Vineyards
Halcon Vineyards
Helio Terra Wines
Hi-Time Wine
Jean Edwards Cellars
Kahn's Fine Wine and Spirits
Kapcsandy Family Winery
Keating Wines
Kendric Vineyards
LaCrosse Technology
Ladd Cellars
Lagier Meredith
Loring Wine Company
Match Vineyards
Nicora Winery
Ostreon Cellars
Patricia Green Cellars
Perman Wine
POE Wines
Rascal
Siduri Wines
Sojourn Cellars
Sonkin Cellars
Storyteller Wine/Ayres Vineyard
Tercero Wines
The Coffee Grounds
The Wine Check
Two Hands Wines
Vincent Wine Company
Windy Oaks
Wine Library
Antica Terra
Kutch
Lillian
Maybach
Rhys
Saxum
Nicora Winery
Mark Herold

Seriously, you had better start saving your money NOW! Donors will receive a link to a spreadsheet that contains all the offers, on Saturday the 26th, tomorrow, giving them advance notice and also the chance to nab a few offers early, as a couple of places have opened up ordering a day early!

History of Wine Berserkers (and BerserkerDay as a celebration):

For those who do not know, BerserkerDay was named for the day it was founded at its current location on the web - January 27 - with the URL wineberserkers.com.

History of Wine Berserkers: Special thanks go out to Mark Squires for giving us our name (attached file below) and Melissa McCall for capturing the moment, before the word that bore our community became a banned word...
Attachments
berserkersorigin.jpg
berserkersorigin.jpg (31.58 KiB) Viewed 6741 times
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Re: The offers for BerserkerDay IV are comin' in!

#2 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 8th, 2013, 11:26 am

FYI, soon this forum will be visible only by registered members of Wine Berserkers.

Don't forget, DONORS get a sneak preview of the offers, likely the day before they are to post!!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Andrew Morris

#3 Post by Andrew Morris » January 8th, 2013, 11:30 am

Is it best to send my offer to you in email, or is there a better place/person to send it to?
Andrew Morris

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#4 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 8th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Andrew Morris wrote:Is it best to send my offer to you in email, or is there a better place/person to send it to?
Email is best, to me - todd at wineberserkers.com

Dave Smig

#5 Post by Dave Smig » January 11th, 2013, 2:47 pm

I just sent my offer in and its the deepest offer ever, since I offered up the PB HEIN wines at the first and second BDay events.
ITB: http://www.Playwrightwines.com

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#6 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 11th, 2013, 2:48 pm

Dave Smig wrote:I just sent my offer in and its the deepest offer ever, since I offered up the PB HEIN wines at the first and second BDay events.
And we all know how well THOSE went over! WOOT!

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#7 Post by Todd Hamina » January 13th, 2013, 8:48 pm

Hands down, this years offer is the largest the public has ever been offered from BHC. And it's a Berserkers only!

PS it's great to meet you all when you come visit!
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#8 Post by Nola Palomar » January 15th, 2013, 12:53 pm

I am posting here for my annual Veleta Donation! Todd hope you can use a donations of a 3 pack with Veleta Vijiriega, Veleta Tempranillo Rose', and a Tempranillo Joven. Another 3 pack of reserva reds, Veleta Nolados, Veleta Cabernet Sauvignon and Veleta Tempranillo. And lastly a pack with Veleta Brut Rose, Veleta EVOO made with the rare Lechin de Granada olives from our farm, Veleta 7 year aged Sherry Vinegar (a key ingredient in authentic Spanish culinary kitchens), Veleta Baby Sardines, and Veleta White Tuna, both packed in Olive Oil.

I haven't seen many other donors posting so I hope I am posting this in the correct place. Would love to see who else is donating for Berserker Day IV!! grouphug
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#9 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 15th, 2013, 12:59 pm

Nola Palomar wrote:I am posting here for my annual Veleta Donation! Todd hope you can use a donations of a 3 pack with Veleta Vijiriega, Veleta Tempranillo Rose', and a Tempranillo Joven. Another 3 pack of reserva reds, Veleta Nolados, Veleta Cabernet Sauvignon and Veleta Tempranillo. And lastly a pack with Veleta Brut Rose, Veleta EVOO made with the rare Lechin de Granada olives from our farm, Veleta 7 year aged Sherry Vinegar (a key ingredient in authentic Spanish culinary kitchens), Veleta Baby Sardines, and Veleta White Tuna, both packed in Olive Oil.

I haven't seen many other donors posting so I hope I am posting this in the correct place. Would love to see who else is donating for Berserker Day IV!! grouphug
Thanks, Nola!

The sardines from Veleta are RIDICULOUS

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#10 Post by Nola Palomar » January 15th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Nola Palomar wrote:I am posting here for my annual Veleta Donation! Todd hope you can use a donations of a 3 pack with Veleta Vijiriega, Veleta Tempranillo Rose', and a Tempranillo Joven. Another 3 pack of reserva reds, Veleta Nolados, Veleta Cabernet Sauvignon and Veleta Tempranillo. And lastly a pack with Veleta Brut Rose, Veleta EVOO made with the rare Lechin de Granada olives from our farm, Veleta 7 year aged Sherry Vinegar (a key ingredient in authentic Spanish culinary kitchens), Veleta Baby Sardines, and Veleta White Tuna, both packed in Olive Oil.

Thanks, Nola!

And I am working on a website to be able to order them directly from me too!
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

jdietz

#11 Post by jdietz » January 15th, 2013, 1:58 pm

Nola Palomar wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Thanks, Nola!

And I am working on a website to be able to order them directly from me too!
Awesome. I would love to try the wines. And maybe sardines?
Cheers, James

DTB

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#12 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 15th, 2013, 3:37 pm

jdietz wrote: Awesome. I would love to try the wines. And maybe sardines?
Veleta Vijiriega and sardines, baby...

jdietz

#13 Post by jdietz » January 15th, 2013, 3:45 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
jdietz wrote: Awesome. I would love to try the wines. And maybe sardines?
Veleta Vijiriega and sardines, baby...

I'd love to try!
Cheers, James

DTB

Tim Wilson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Tim Wilson » January 15th, 2013, 4:53 pm

Excited to have Denison Cellars involved this year! It's gonna be a great deal...

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#15 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 15th, 2013, 6:45 pm

Tim Wilson wrote:Excited to have Denison Cellars involved this year! It's gonna be a great deal...
Good to have some more Oregon wines in the mix!

I wonder if we'll get the always-fun Rascal wines this year...

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#16 Post by Merrill Lindquist » January 15th, 2013, 7:22 pm

My web guy and I did a trial run through today and it all looks good. Of course we had some glitches, but we worked them out.
Since I do a very limited time offer (3 hours), it's pretty key to be ready. We are talking about rebooting the server, etc. to try to be certain that the day is fun, and that I am available to answer direct inquiries, rather than trying to solve technical problems with the ordering system.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Bob Wood » January 15th, 2013, 8:30 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Tim Wilson wrote:Excited to have Denison Cellars involved this year! It's gonna be a great deal...
Good to have some more Oregon wines in the mix!

I wonder if we'll get the always-fun Rascal wines this year...
Write to Linda. The current release of pinot gris is a sick value.
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#18 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 15th, 2013, 8:33 pm

We're around 40 offers at present, and I've yet to get finals on at least a dozen more. I expect we'll have another 60 or so this time, as we had last time.

Be sure to tell your wine-loving friends about BerserkerDay as well - only adds to the fun!

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#19 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 16th, 2013, 9:33 am

I've reset the 'most users online ever' counter today, as we're bound to exceed it this year on BerserkerDay, as we always do. It removed that crazy number from the ddos attack, presumably courtesy of a certain former Berserker.

The first record was 506 users on BerserkerDay 2011, then BerserkerDay 2012 had over 600 users (I believe it was 676 but can't remember, and I don't see that I kept a screenshot, so if you know the number, let me know and I'll edit this). For BerserkerDay IV, let's aim for 800!

DON'T FORGET TO TWEET ABOUT BERSERKERDAY AS MUCH AS YOU CAN! #BerserkerDay

M. Linzbach
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by M. Linzbach » January 16th, 2013, 10:36 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:I've reset the 'most users online ever' counter today, as we're bound to exceed it this year on BerserkerDay, as we always do. It removed that crazy number from the ddos attack, presumably courtesy of a certain former Berserker.

The first record was 506 users on BerserkerDay 2011, then BerserkerDay 2012 had over 600 users (I believe it was 676 but can't remember, and I don't see that I kept a screenshot, so if you know the number, let me know and I'll edit this). For BerserkerDay IV, let's aim for 800!

DON'T FORGET TO TWEET ABOUT BERSERKERDAY AS MUCH AS YOU CAN! #BerserkerDay
Email sent.
--Matt

Salesman to wife -- It folds up to a fraction of its size.
Me to salesman -- 11/10ths is a fraction and I still don't want it in my basement.
Wife to me -- Death stare. She wins the argument, salesman makes his commission.

Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#21 Post by Karen Troisi » January 16th, 2013, 4:19 pm

Todd - we're all set - sent the offer today and website is programmed and tested. Can't wait for the fun to begin. [cheers.gif]

Karen
ITB - You should only make wines you love to drink.

JesseC

#22 Post by JesseC » January 16th, 2013, 8:53 pm

forget the donation, just let me buy all the sardines now !!! [basic-smile.gif]
Jesse_Collins

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by brigcampbell » January 21st, 2013, 6:43 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:We're around 40 offers at present, and I've yet to get finals on at least a dozen more. I expect we'll have another 60 or so this time, as we had last time.

Be sure to tell your wine-loving friends about BerserkerDay as well - only adds to the fun!
I'll start a thread over on cellartracker forum for BD IV.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#24 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 21st, 2013, 6:52 pm

I didn't count how many offers we've got, but there are so far 50 wineries/retailers participating.

A few forum favorites have not yet confirmed - we'll have those soon!

Michael Alberty

#25 Post by Michael Alberty » January 21st, 2013, 7:06 pm

Happy to announce that Storyteller Wine Company and Ayres Vineyard will be participating with a joint venture (no jokes Mr. Wood). Brad McLreoy and I put our heads together (again, no jokes Mr. Wood) and came up with a rather unique offer. Can't wait until Berserker Day!
Storyteller Wine Co.
Portland

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#26 Post by Merrill Lindquist » January 21st, 2013, 7:19 pm

brigcampbell wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:We're around 40 offers at present, and I've yet to get finals on at least a dozen more. I expect we'll have another 60 or so this time, as we had last time.

I just saw that over there, Brig. If you are not a publicist by trade, you should be. Awesome post.
Merrill

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Dave H. » January 22nd, 2013, 6:06 am

Michael Alberty wrote:Happy to announce that Storyteller Wine Company and Ayres Vineyard will be participating with a joint venture (no jokes Mr. Wood). Brad McLreoy and I put our heads together (again, no jokes Mr. Wood) and came up with a rather unique offer. Can't wait until Berserker Day!
This is very exciting! I can't wait to hear about it.
Hendrik

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by brigcampbell » January 22nd, 2013, 7:40 am

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
brigcampbell wrote:

I just saw that over there, Brig. If you are not a publicist by trade, you should be. Awesome post.
Thanks Merrill, just doing my share!

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by brigcampbell » January 22nd, 2013, 7:44 am

Todd, is the BD IV forum visible to guests and non donors?

I'm sending new people over here.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#30 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 22nd, 2013, 7:55 am

brigcampbell wrote:Todd, is the BD IV forum visible to guests and non donors?

I'm sending new people over here.
Yes. Normally I have it setup to be seen only by members, but want to give the lurkers a shot this year, see how it goes [cheers.gif]

Donors will still get a sneak preview, and this year, some wineries are giving special deals to Donors (i.e. free shipping!) which is REALLY cool!! I love the idea - it's not mine - and I hope other wineries will give it a try as well.

Dan Rinke
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Dan Rinke » January 22nd, 2013, 9:13 am

What time does the magic start?
ITB
Johan Vineyards
Art+Science

Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Bob Wood » January 22nd, 2013, 10:58 am

Dan Rinke wrote:What time does the magic start?
Whenever Todd gets back from the Motel 6 in El Monte.
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

CWun
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by CWun » January 22nd, 2013, 2:22 pm

Michael Alberty wrote:Happy to announce that Storyteller Wine Company and Ayres Vineyard will be participating with a joint venture (no jokes Mr. Wood). Brad McLreoy and I put our heads together (again, no jokes Mr. Wood) and came up with a rather unique offer. Can't wait until Berserker Day!
Excited about Ayres. Solid pinot, and great winemaker /owner.
C@r_y

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Dan Hammer » January 22nd, 2013, 5:44 pm

This Donor will be setting up a trade show on Saturday, followed by the show itself. Wanna guess when the show starts? Yep. January 27th.
Looks like I'm going to save some dough.

If you want to read between the lines... feel free to PM me with temptation. flirtysmile
This space for rent.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#35 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 22nd, 2013, 6:53 pm

Dan Hammer wrote:This Donor will be setting up a trade show on Saturday, followed by the show itself. Wanna guess when the show starts? Yep. January 27th.
Looks like I'm going to save some dough.

If you want to read between the lines... feel free to PM me with temptation. flirtysmile
Well, at least ONE of the deals will be open a day before - that's also just for the Donors...

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#36 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 22nd, 2013, 7:01 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:I didn't count how many offers we've got, but there are so far 50 wineries/retailers participating.

A few forum favorites have not yet confirmed - we'll have those soon!
58 participants and counting...technically over 80 offers

Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Bob Wood » January 22nd, 2013, 7:48 pm

CWun wrote:
Excited about Ayres. Solid pinot, and great winemaker /owner.
Nah, plonk. <Hi Brad, hi Kathleen, Hi Don. Just messin' witcha 'cuz you know I love your wines and all of you.>

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#38 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 23rd, 2013, 8:22 am

Just FYI...

If you are ITB and still haven't submitted your offer, I MAY not have a chance to get to you in time. I've got a super busy week the rest of this week, so if you want to be super last minute (provided I haven't already talked with you and reserved 'space' for you), PM the BerserkerDay Committee (it's one of the groups in the Private Message function) and ask them to include you.

Note also that unless the deal is good, we may turn it down.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#39 Post by Merrill Lindquist » January 23rd, 2013, 9:31 am

Todd - some wineries might have licensing constraints that disallow free shipping.
Merrill

awilliamson4

#40 Post by awilliamson4 » January 23rd, 2013, 10:15 am

Todd,
Will the donors get a preview like last year?
Thanks,
Alston
Alston Williamson
Hatersgonhate

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#41 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 23rd, 2013, 10:16 am

awilliamson4 wrote:Todd,
Thanks,
Alston
http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 1#p1070471

[cheers.gif]

CWun
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by CWun » January 23rd, 2013, 5:22 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
awilliamson4 wrote:Todd,
Thanks,
Alston
http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 1#p1070471

[cheers.gif]
When will the preview go out?
Last edited by CWun on January 24th, 2013, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C@r_y

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#43 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 24th, 2013, 8:49 pm

I'm absolutely up to my eyeballs in BerserkerDay offers, trying desperately to catch up on all you latecomer ITB'ers who are sending me offers TODAY! neener

Think I'll crack a BerserkerDay Wine from BerserkerDay I - my lone remaining Holdredge Pinot Noir, '08 Old School. Unfortunately this year Holdredge decided he was too busy to give Wine Berserkers an offer, so I'll drink it in spite of him. neener

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Re: BerserkerDay IV Master Thread (discussions, info, etc)

#44 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 24th, 2013, 11:08 pm

Wow, we've got a LOT of great deals, folks!

The Donors will have to sort through (literally) a spreadsheet of offers, searching out for the best deals of most interest to them. We're not ALL California, folks - plenty of Oregon offers, and even some European stuff, and non-wine related items as well (cellar technology, gourmet foods, coffee...what else?)

CWun
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by CWun » January 24th, 2013, 11:40 pm

can't wait to see the preview! I think i'm going to blow my wine budget for the quarter even after limiting my winelist purchases.
C@r_y

sdfruman
BerserkerDay All-Pro
BerserkerDay All-Pro

#46 Post by sdfruman » January 25th, 2013, 3:19 am

I can't wait, either! I've been saving up for a year for this!
Sheila

“There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne.”
― Bette Davis

Travis D.

#47 Post by Travis D. » January 25th, 2013, 8:23 am

As you can see from my number of posts, I am new here but it sounds like I joined at the right time! Excited based on everyone's comments. This should be great!
Travis D e d e k

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#48 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 25th, 2013, 8:53 am

For rooks like Travis, be sure you get some wine and set aside the WHOLE day with clean, clear credit card balances.

Just got another huge offer for a bunch of European stuff, with a free shipping perk for Donors. Loving the Donor perks this year!

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Re: BerserkerDay IV Master Thread (discussions, info, etc - FIRST POST UPDATED)

#49 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 25th, 2013, 9:12 am

Original post updated with some great info

RDHudak
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: BerserkerDay IV Master Thread (discussions, info, etc - FIRST POST UPDATED)

#50 Post by RDHudak » January 25th, 2013, 11:03 am

No word from P.B Hein? Their Syrah was such a good QPR on BD.

Return to “BerserkerDay IV (January 27, 2013)”