Washington State Enology Programs

I am considering enrolling in an enology and viticulture program in Washington and there are 3 programs offering associate degrees (South Seattle CC, Yakima Valley CC, Walla Walla CC) as well as the bachelors degree program at WSU (I would prefer the Tri-Cities campus) that I am considering. I have not been able to find much information comparing the schools. I am going to take some tours and ask a lot of questions, but I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge or opinion as to which programs have better reputations, better training, better job placement, etc.? Is it worth it to spend the extra year and a half or so to get the bachelor’s? I already have a B.A. in Political Science and a J.D. to give a little background. Obviously I would rather do less additional school than more if possible, but a solid education and opportunity for success in the field is important to me. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Do you plan to start a winery, or look for a job?

I would be looking for a job.

I’d think that a 4 yr degree might give you a better shot, but a 2 year program plus some internships might be just as good. Point being, I’d think about what your approach to your job search will be and work back from that. Of course, the quality of the program would be part of that, but perhaps not all of it.

Good luck with that. pepsi

Matt, why don’t you enroll to Allen Hancock College… Rather than spending a boat load on some certification program that you’ll do from your computer… I’m enrolled and am taking Wine Analysis Ag 308… Course is on Monday nights from 6-9pm. The class hasn’t started yet b/c of the holiday this past Monday so you still have time to enroll. The class covers laboratory testing of alcohol by Ebulliometer, ph, TA, Malic Acid and Sugars by Spectrophotometer, Ammonia & AANs, & VA by Cash Still. This should be a good class! I’m taking courses at Hancock College though I already have a 4-year BSEE degree and work full time. I’m not necessarily trying to make my way into the industry but just sort of wanna learn as much as possible since I’m making wine from about 1300 pounds a year in my garage. I’d like to stay on top of it all and hope that I can serve my pinot noir at my wedding in april 2015. So hopefully this class helps! Anyways, you should join the class… its hands on and much less expensive than those UC Davis Extension program courses…

I’m actually looking to live and work in Washington and would be a full time student at one of the campuses. Most of my family is in the state and I spend a lot of time there.