Experience w/Cheap Data Loggers for Temp. Data?

Does anyone have experience using something like this:

Or, a better suggestion that is also cost effective?

TIA!

You want them for shipment monitoring? We use different types depending on the application of what’s in the shipping container or reactor/kettle and how long it will last before we can pull down the information. (especially important when the containers are stuck on the docks). We use either Extech or TinyTag ones and both have been fairly robust (although the software is often a bit behind the times).

Thanks for your reply

I want them for collecting outside temp data

I’ll take a look at those

Andrew, Davis weather stations have a very good reputation for reliability and accuracy.

Outside temperature measurements are very much dependent upon the effectiveness of the solar radiation shield that protects the temp sensor from absorbing direct radiation from the sun. Poorly designed passive solar shields can result in maximum temp readings up to 15°F higher than the real temp. You will notice that Davis offer a station with a 24 hour fan aspirated radiation shield, however it does cost an extra $200.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the issue of how the device is installed is important.

According to my friend that is the UC Advisor for Mendocino & Lake Co’s says that this issue has been addressed effectively with passive means. I have not personally seen his installation, but plan to use an install that has been tested in the field.

My main question is in regard to the reliability of the the devices themselves.

Also, how easy is it to manipulate that data after it is collected?

I did a fair amount of research before buying one of these:

My research indicated that a lot of professionals used these loggers. The temp*2 logger has good accuracy and fast response time. You have to buy the Hoboware Pro software that you can install on your laptop, then go out into the field and couple the data logger to the laptop and download the data. The software has various features that, for example, allow you to extract daily min and max temps and then export the file to a spreadsheet.

Initially I bought the combined temp/RH logger but discovered it had a 45 minute response time, so it missed the max/min temps.

I could be wrong, but I think some of the loggers that my fiance has used in her bio fieldwork were a bit cheaper, and just as easy to manipulate the data. I could be wrong though, as I think they might’ve been HOBO brand. I’ll let you know when she gets back in town and I can ask her.

Thanks, Brad!

Let me know when she gets back. Also, it was great to see both of you at the winery.