Amazon wine

We just went live on Amazon. Have a few kinks to work out. Curious if any other wineries here are on the site and what has been your impression. The ‘onboarding’ process was almost as painful as dealing with the Feds. Wondering how this will be as a retail channel?

Avoiding the thing alltogeather.
Waiting to see how/if it ends up working for wineries with just a couple thousand cases.

Just peaked at it for the first time. As a consumer the prices didn’t seem like anything special. They don’t (yet) ship to AZ, but even if they did I doubt I’d use them.

when u type in “wine” in amazon.com search, you get a bunch of wine accessories…
but at the top you see a link for “amazon wine”.

On the bottom of a wine detail page, usually you see “other customers who viewed this also viewed these”.
but with wine, is see 'ads from external market place". i click and i’m taken completely outside of amazon. what the?

you’re right, not well marketed… see how it develops tho… it’s just starting right?

Jim, the price is the same as directly from the winery in most cases. The real benefit to the consumer is the shipping. Flat rate, $9.99 shipping per order on 3, 6 or 12 bottles. That is a good deal.

Yeah, its been active for a little over a month now or something like that. Like I said, everyone I talk to has no idea that they even sell wine.

True that the customer gets a nice deal on shipping, but the winery has to eat the difference.
I can barely even get a 12pk wine shipper for $9.99, let alone the freight charges.
Shipping wine to CA from CA is not the same cost as to the east coast, I wish they would have addressed this.

Amazon offers the winery a subsidy for larger orders for the shipping to offset the difference in cost.

Hmmmmm…not what was told or offered to me. If you have details on this, I’d love to hear, can you PM to me please?

So Amazon gets its cut of the purchase, and the winery is only compensated $9.99 to ship the wine?

This was one of the major issues with “Amazon Wine, round #1”. I was working at a company that Amazon was courting real hard, as we had about 125 small producer labels, and they wanted to build their portfolio. Unfortunately, they had no solution for shipping. The small wineries have to eat a lot when it comes to shipping, which makes it very unattractive.
Best of luck though, as I am always looking for more avenues to open up for direct shipping.

The $9.99 shipping which is how Amazon intends to differentiate itself plus the 29% cut that Amazon takes on sales, does not make it very attractive. Any promotion is the wineries responsibility, Amazon just has the huge volume of visitors to their site.

Correct.