Winemaker Software

To say the software we use here sucks would be an understatement. pepsi
What do you guys use? Is it internet based or just software you buy? We have looked at both and can’t decide which would be better. But we definitely NEED something!

This is the emergency you posted on Facebook? Software? yawn

Gee, I don’t seem to recall using the word “emergency”. Hmm. Nope. Didn’t say emergency. newhere [wow.gif]
But yes, it is important to me. Is important alright with you? neener

Thanks for your concern, John. [drinkers.gif]

you edited it.

No dahling. You must be having one of your early afternoon delusions. [wow.gif]

Do you even use software?

Holdredge gets worked up whenever he hears “soft”. Not sure why…something about a new prescription.

I use WMDB. Happy customer. Actual software installed on our server (right?) but updated and backed up remotely (right? - honestly didn’t pay that close of attention).

Only software I’ve ever used, though. Looked at a few different options and went with WMDB.

I’m very limited production. I only make 12 bottles per year. No software needed.

Thank you Nate. Next time I will include the word “hardware” in my thread just for John. [snort.gif]

We had a copy of WMDB at school, but I never had a chance to use it very often.
We are looking at a couple of software packages like that where you by the software and it is yours. Of course, these are very expensive. There are a few others which are internet based, and you pay an up front fee and also a monthly fee. Of course the up front fee is much less, but over time you would be paying more with the monthly fees, which seem high to me.
Just thought I’d try to get some feedback. The advantage with the internet/cloud-based sw is that you could take an ipad into the barrel room or vineyard and use it while sampling, etc.

you kids and your computers.

Last thing I need is anyone taking something like an ipad into the cellar. If your crew is anything like mine, I think you might go through a few of those.

Let anyone but me touch it? Not a chance. [snort.gif]

Linda, I can put you in touch with a friend who is a software designer and he is in the initial stage of designing winery software. He’d be glad to get your input on the design and features would most likely offer you some sort of deal as an early adopter I believe. Shoot me a pm if you (or anyone else) is interested.

I looked into this last year for a client. My preferred system is still EzyWine (from Australia), but it is probably too expensive for a small operation.

One that you might suit you is this: http://www.fermsoft.com/amphora/

They have a free trial version you can download and play with; and the fully functioning version is not much coin. The only drawback for me was that you couldn’t use it to generate cellar notes.

I prefer wines made in a more traditional style…

you know, without software.

They just don’t seem natural if data about them has been stored in electronic form.

neener

Would it make it any better if I told you my computer is powered by 1,000 tiny hamsters running on a treadmill rather than electricity? [wow.gif]

iPad in the barrel room? What’s next, Starbucks in the vineyard?

I think it’s been done.

As long as they are hamsters indigenous to your vineyard.

They are French hamsters. :frowning:

French Hamsters! Reminds me of this: