What's in Your Spray Bottle?

I’m curious to hear what people are using in their wineries as spot sanitizers (for spraying on valves, hose ends before connecting, etc). I’ve seen people fill their spray bottles with a bunch of different products and am curious what everyone’s thoughts are. I’m most interested in sanitizers that wine can immediately follow without rinsing.

70% Ethanol?
3% Sulfur?
Citric/Sulfur?
Others?

PAA

Sheldon,

Since PAA is a pretty strong oxidizer, I presume you spray PAA and rinse with water if following immediately with wine?

I use 70% Ethanol for spot/noRinse sanitation (I generally do some rinsing prior to allowing contact with wine, but I’m trying to get some/most of the Ethanol off, not 100% as is required with some sanitizers).

Can you use PAA (Peroxyacetic Acid) without rinsing…I thought PAA is an oxidizer and hence would have to be completely removed prior to wine contact.

We use ethanol as well in the brewery.

Where do you source the ethanol?

The liquor store. I go through about a 1.5L jug a month.

How much do you spray?

-Al

They don’t sell PGA in liquor stores in CA.

One with Vodka, one with SO2.

You can get Everclear/Diesel up here in Santa Rosa at Bottle Barn and other liquor stores. Otherwise Winesecrets sells “High Proof” in bulk. You’ll need to cut it with water to get it to the recommended 70%.

Al, between brewing, moving beer, and kegging beer we use quite a bit. As one wine maker said, “It’s like you have harvest every week!”

Isn’t diluted PAA unstable over time? You don’t use undiluted PAA, do you. We use daily made PAA for end of the day sprays, and ethanol on everything else.

Use 3% PAA and rinse down.