Borrowed Cuttings ???

A year ago I dropped by a local winery and gathered some cuttings of Cab Franc, Sauvignon Blanc and Chenin Blanc. I rooted them and planted the vines in the ground. I had someone ITB stop by and comment that it looked as though I had planted rootstock and not vines??? Very confused… if I took cuttings from a grafted vine(cordon cuttings) will the cutting give me the original(bottom) or the grafted(top) or the mix of the two.

If you took the cuttings from above the graft then you have the CF, SB, and CB that you want.

I you took them from a shoot below the graft, from a runner sent off of the root, or from a vine of all rootstock, then you have rootstock.

It’s usually pretty easy to tell if you have rootstock versus the scion variety. Rootstocks grow like weeds, canes about three times as long as the scion variety. The internodes are longer, which is the distance between the buds on the cane. Even the buds look a lot different. Sometimes when planting from a cutting put directly in the ground, the leaves might not look like a typical vinifera leaf the first year. Hang in there and see what comes out this year. If you post a picture of the leaves later it will be easy to tell if you have rootstocks. It would be very rare that all the cuttings you picked up would be rootstock unless the vineyard was growing rootstock varieties.

If you have phlloxera in your neighborhood and the vines die they were in fact the vinifera varietes. [oops.gif]