How about Touriga?

I still haven’t made up my mind as what to graft over those 4 acres of Syrah vines to. I had one customer vote for Touriga. Thoughts? Anyone have any vines in the north coast? If so are they still not pruned?

I’ve made a couple of touriga nacionals from warmer sections of Monterey County. I’ve found it to be capable of making distinctive wines with a solid dark fruit core, good tannin structure and lots of mineral complexity, perfect for the American market. I’d think you’d be able to find a few winemakers able to make beautiful, sought after wines from the grapes.

The only plantings I know of are in South Monterey County and Lodi. I don’t know if we’ve pruned yet down here, but if you’d like me to check, I will.

Raymond Burr Winery has Touriga.

We have Touriga down here in the Santa Ynez Valley - I guess a bit too long of a haul to make it . . .

I hear what Ian is saying, but from a business standpoint, not sure I’d go down that route. I think it will be a difficult sell both to winemakers and, especially, to consumers at this time.

I know people dig your Petite - could you plant more and sell more of this? Perhaps some different clones? Would Mourvedre ripen there? Seems to be good demand for it at this time . . .

Good luck - and keep us posted.

Cheers!

I don’t think Mourvedre would ripen there, and I wonder if Touriga doesn’t need more heat than that. What about Tempranillo?

Why not more grenache, Casey? I’m toying with planting some myself this year. I figure, if it doesn’t make it I can always make rose out of it. It’s a bit of a stretch up here, though- I would think…?

After talking to Stu Bewley up in Laytonville, I don’t think its warm enough here for Mourvedre.

John, my guess is that ALL you would be making is Rose’ up there. Its always pretty close getting Grenache ripe here.

I had some Italian guys visit once and stood in my vineyard and said Nebiolo.

Tempranillo is on our radar screen.

Go for it; I think it might be a bit hot at your place for Nebbiolo but if we have many years like the last one you would be golden.
You have to learn how to spell it though.
E

Casey, if I were you I’d plant pinotage. It’s all the rage at the Grocery Outlet stores.

I work with a vineyard that has tempranillo and touriga side by side. The tempranillo generally comes off 1.5-2.5 weeks earlier than the Touriga (in september, with heat around 100 during the day, but nights in the low 50s). The touriga always has superior balance to the tempranillo, which tends to struggle with acidity in that climate. I also think the touriga shows more complexity and potential than the tempranillo in that site, as far as making a complete wine that requires no blending. Incidentally the Syrah out there comes in a little before the tempranillo, the grenache and cabernet mid-late october, and the mourvedre and carignane come in late october or early november. I would put the heat necessary to ripen touriga roughly even with petite sirah and zinfandel, both of which we have in the same vineyard as the touriga. I think that, of the four red varieties in that vineyard, touriga makes the best varietal wines (when looking at composition, balance, expressiveness, etc.).

Depending on the soils and heat of the locale, I also think that tempranillo and nebbiolo could be strong choices.

If you’re considering grafting to Pinotage, you might also consider Pinot St. George. Or Mission.

I was invited by Wines of Portugal last year to sit in on a tasting of about 100 of the top dry Tourigas made in the country. They are trying to find a dry red to produce as a country, since Port sales in the last few years have been severely declining. We tasted from all the areas - Douro, Dao and the less known areas. The one thing that was evident and was stated by almost every producer i spoke with, Touriga needs a blending partner. And usually it needs to be more than 25% of the blend.

We have a bit in Walla Walla. Interesting, but tannic. Tempranillo seems to be far more at home.

What do you think would be a natural blending partner if grown in the US?

Tell these nerds that you decided to graft it over to Teroldego and watch them freak out.

I’d want some!

Tiger Mountain Vineyards, Tiger GA, makes a varietal Touriga Nacional that is about 20% Tinta Cao. Tasty wine.

Touriga Franca would be very cool if you can find any. Not sure what kind of a market you’d find for it, though.

I think Hardy’s idea might be a good one!

Thanks Steve! I think it would rock and has some genetic connection to Syrah

Touriga Franca and Teroldego but no mention of Baga?

How about Rousanne Casey? You have some Viognier as well right? Viognier seams to do really well up here-nice acidity. Not sure if we have a long enough season for Rousanne. There is quite a bit in S. Oregon.