Ozomatli at Mondavi summer concert series

The RMW concert series holds a special place in my heart, as for many years in the '80s and early '90s, my parents used to take my sister and I to see Preservation Hall on or around the 4th of July (my father used to work for the Mondavi family).

Since I have been back in the valley, nothing has really blown my skirt up about the series. I was almost tempted to go see Diana Krall one year, and Bozz Scaggs was an almost-buy. I regret not going to see Preservation Hall either, but there is usually something more fun to do on the Saturday closest to the 4th of July that includes seeing old friends and doesn’t cost $70.

I was driving through Oakville, though, yesterday, and browsed the sign. Ozomatli is playing this year on July 11th! This has me thrilled and I am planning on going. Anyone else in? I would love to meet some board members in person…if you don’t know Ozomatli, see below:

Ozomatli - After Party - YouTube" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I’m not sure how one would properly describe their music, so I won’t even try (Roberto?). They’re a hell of a lot of fun to see live, though, although the crowd will be a little different here than where I have seen them before I think.

Take everything you grew up with as a Chicano or African American living in LA and throw it in the blender: Norteño, Ska, Banda, Old School Low Rider Ballads, Santana, Reggae, Hip Hop, Rock and a little Afro-Cuban Jazz for spice. They are a lot of fun but lately they have been giving the rappers too much stage time (although I would bet they are smart enough to adapt their set to the demo in a different place).

Awesome show for sure! Although I have never seen them perform with Cut Chemist or Chali 2na. How did “group think” book these guys?

Ozo tears it down…I’ve seen 'em twice and they put on one of the best shows I’ve ever seen

can you find me in this picture of Ozo at Reggae on the River?

Also, I don’t think I’ve seen em with Cut or 2na…IMO, that would make em that much better

to be honest for awhile I thought they were purely a rap crew.

I might be down for this. My wife is a big fan of theirs.

Are you playing the cowbell?

I’m about 3 people back from the guy w/ the cowbell…between the two girls wearing hats

If you haven’t seen Ozo you are in for a treat! Unbelievably entertaining…