Do winemakers enjoy drinking their own wines?

Yes, I know that you made them etc…But, I’m referring to when you have the ability to drink other regions or other producers would you rather experience something else? If out at a dinner (at a friends house, or a non-promotional event).

As for my opinion It seems that one would want to try other peoples wine to see what is going on or what they are doing (if tasting within the same region) and one would want to try other regions just so they aren’t drinking the same thing (type, region, varietal, etc)

Thoughts?

Michael,
I have made only one vintage (2007 syrah) and I love the wine.
But when I have the chance, I enjoy drinking/tasting wines from all over the world.
Its a win-win for me.
Best, Jim

how does a Bro taste your wares Jim?

I know the Cabots do - well, I know Kimberly does…a LOT

I generally only drink our wines if I need to check in on one of them for some reason or if I have family around. Otherwise, it’s usually Burgundy (or Scotland!)

[highfive.gif]

Actually, Kimberly drinks a ton of German Riesling, NZ SB, and loads of Pinot from Or., NZ, and the CC.
I drink stuff from all over the place, lots from Spain. I’ve been on a huge 07 CdR kick and have bought a lot of it. I’ve been seeking out Albarino’s from Rias Baixas. Mencia from Bierzo has been my latest interest. We’re too poor to drink Burgundy.
Jeff, Kevin must pay you pretty well. [big_boss.gif]

I’m with Jeff on drinking our own wines, mostly just to track thier evolution. Although when I’m in the mood for bacon… [drinkers.gif]

I’m sure he thinks so. [rofl.gif] A fair amount of my burgundy is actually given to me…

Lucky!!! You guys have any positions open at Rhys? [berserker.gif]

http://www.cowancellars.com/cowancellars.com/Mailing_List.html

Glenn and Bob,

The mailing list will be the method once we are ready to release. Until then, you’ll just have to visit. I’ll be back in Sonoma April 30 thru May 8, so if you’re around . . .

(BTW Bob, I just had the 2000 Hamacher last night and will finish up the rest tonight. As you know, I bought from this guy on your recommendation and am very happy with the wines I have. This bottle has years to peak and is still fresh and lovely nine years in. Many thanks.)

Best, Jim

I love to drink Dan’s wines at home. The old vine zin beckons to me constantly. But still … when out and about I am positively dying to try new wines. Even in our hometown I can’t keep up with the excellent new releases and producers. And like you John, my wine drinking quests go through phases. First it was sangiovese, which I am still a nut for, then tempranillo, every May I get desperate to stock up on dry rose’s before the good ones are sold out, and lately I am rediscovering pinot nero on wine lists. My cellaring program is unfortunately femme. When I have some wines I know I’ll really like [give_heart.gif] ) I can’t resist opening them early for friends. I haven’t even unpacked my last shipments of August West and Inman yet so as to avoid temptation. But it’s been 3-4 weeks so now I’m going to have to hide the boxes as well. Some wines, mostly cab or syrah based blends, I have hung onto WAY too long because I just can’t bear to part with them. [cray.gif]
So yeah, we need a steady supply of new experiences! And yes, I am too poor to drink Burgundy but I don’t care as I don’t like it except for a few ethereal wines I have had the pleasure to try through friends. I’m not much of a cult label drinker either–having tried many of the touted wines in blind tastings I prefer to seek out the new talents and enjoy the thrill of discovering a prize before anyone else.
Although really, if you have ever seriously partied with a manlyman [or girlygirl] winemaker you know they prefer Tequila to all else!

Don’t get me wrong, we are very pleased with our wines, and the fruit/terrior/minerality [haha.gif] we get from our vineyards. I really enjoy drinking our wines next other producers to see how they stack up, QPR wise. We trade with other producers as much as we can.

Mary, any particularly memorable examples that you can recall? I’m broadly an Italian chauvinist, but I find pinots from there are hit and miss (pretty much like any other region’s pinots :wink:

I have a memory like a sieve. Which is why I carry little tiny notepads with me. I’ll have to dig up my notes from my last trip to LA. I found a really, really nice pinot nero on a bistro wine list … which is truly surprising since I assume much of the best pinot nero from northern Italy would be sold in situ. It was so good it turned me onto trying pinot nero whenever I find one, but I haven’t had one that good since …

Manfred hopes to taste SQN soon but he keeps getting that damn postcard

[rofl.gif] [notworthy.gif]

Blanco, Reserva or Anejo tequilas?

Reposado for me, my only continuing spirit weakness. BTW, US National Tequila day is July 24th.

Enjoy them? Yes, hopefully, if I did a good job. Drink them often? When people come to visit the winery, at verticals, offlines, winemaker dinners etc., but not very often at home, and almost never in a “normal” restaurant setting.

Blanco - 99% of the time in margies

Reposado - 75% of the time in margies although like wine, light on the oak influence.

Anejo - 99% of the time neat. Although, my buddy’s dad makes a killer margie with anejos