Trade Tastings - Are they important?

There is a trade tasting for the High Museum wine auction coming up towards the end of the month. I have gone in previous years and its a good experience…but do wineries see results from these types of events?

フィンペシアの効果はAGA・薄毛・抜け毛の改善!" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To be fair, not the same type of trade tasting I had in mind when I opened this thread.

This is the time of year wholesalers hold partial or full portfolio tastings and yes they can be very important.

Well, yes…we have those also, mostly around holiday time…This is a tasting just for the “Trade” and not really a whole portfolio of a specific distributor or winery.

Michael,

I think with this type of event, having the winemaker there is a big plus over just a rep from the winery. This is a high-profile event and having the winemaker attend has always been very well received by those in the trade.
We have scaled back on many trade shows when we feel working the market with the reps and spending time one on one with the customer will pay off much greater than just attending a trade show. Some of them can be overwhelming with the number of wines, and you can get lost and overlooked.

It’s also important to the winery that the main buyers show up and not just the staff, which isn’t always the case for quite a few trade shows, so you kind of have to pick and choose which one’s are best for your winery / wines.

Great question.

Terence

I’m going to attend a trade tasting on Monday and truly am not looking forward to the event. while it is a great opportunity to taste a lot of wines I might not be able to taste as samples, but crowds piss me off. There are some winemakers I look forward to talking which is my main reason for attending. I like to spend time with a wine without distraction and large tasting are not conducive focusing on the wine in my glass. I am however looking forward to dinner later in the evening with some of the producers.

[rofl.gif] I just got “Rejected” from this tasting.

Hello Michael Bowden,

Thank you for your request to the High Museum Wine Auction Trade
Tasting. Currently, we DO NOT find your affiliation to this event,
meets our criteria. We look for people directly related to the
commercial sale of wines specifically related to the auction or
commercial purchase of wine. Also if you are a winery rep, broker or
a wholesaler your wines must be a part of the auction in some way,
let us know which wines you work with. Please feel free to respond
with more information.

It is possible that you miss entered some information, for example if
you company does not match your affiliation category you may get
placed in the wrong group or it may be unclear how you are related to
this business. Please resubmit your info in a response to this email
do not re-enter it on the website. We look forward to serving you at
this exclusive event.

Each year our requirements become tighter and geared towards
wholesale wine buyers. No one will be allowed to enter without pre-
registering.
First Name:
Last Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip:
Company Name:
Job Title:
Email:
Phone Number:
Affiliation

I try to avoid trade tastings as much as possible.

Oh and I got confirmed for that stupid High tasting. Want me to hire you for a day Bowden?

I think well organized trade tastings are incredibly helpful. UGC San Francisco, while a bit crowded, was for me educational. I do not drink enough Bordeaux and having the producers by region all pouring the same vintage was terrific. I couldn’t give you detailed nuance and drinking windows, but the general impressions I took away more than made up for the bridge toll and time taken out of the day.

agreed

In terms of the wholesaler tastings, I find the DI pre-sell tastings the most significant. Especially when the vintage being released is a highly touted one. There is usually great opportunity to take a position on excellent wines with room for profitability.