Free the Grapes Advocacy in NJ

I originally posted this on Wine Talk. Thought I’d post here to try to get more ITB input.

Free the Grapes is asking wine lovers to support a bill that removes existing capacity caps for obtaining a direct to consumer permit in the state. See excerpt of their suggested letter to Senate committee members below.

I thought the issue in NJ was the cost and complexity for smaller wineries to obtain a direct sale permit (some tell me it’s too much trouble to apply) - not the removal of the capacity cap for permits. Anyone in the biz have thoughts?

Excerpt:

Dear Senators,

S-2683 (Gopal) will be heard in the Senate Commerce Committee June 16 for a discussion only hearing. In your capacity as a member of this committee I respectfully urge your consideration and support of the “Free the Grapes” bill in hopes of a vote in your committee. This bill will allow legal, regulated winery-to-consumer direct shipping by removing New Jersey’s archaic restriction on the size of the winery that can sell and ship wine to me.

Today, 46 states allow winery-to-consumer shipping, including New Jersey. But ours is one of only two states that ban shipments from wineries owned by larger wineries or that independently produce more than 106,000 cases a year. Hundreds of wineries have successfully grown their brands to this production level, and they produce more than 90% of U.S. wine. …