2020 West Coast Weather and Farming Thread

Discussions and questions (vintages, winemaking, etc) for those ITB. All are welcome to post.
Sean Devaney

Re: 2020 West Coast Weather and Farming Thread

#401 Post by Sean Devaney » August 23rd, 2020, 9:03 pm

My heart goes out to all the folks picking the fruit and the farmers that will lead to nectar we will enjoy in the future. Be safe.

Gary Schulte
GCC Member
GCC Member

#402 Post by Gary Schulte » August 24th, 2020, 4:57 am

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 3:09 pm
Informals at 23B this morning. Fruit looks and tastes great (just ask the resident birds). Will do a real sample pull (200 berries) on Tuesday morning and a full lab panel.
We are finding out again that the Baltimore Orioles can find the higher brix grapes in a bunch up and down the 5 rows we have of auxerrois. Their pecking means that we have to go in and clean the pecked grapes out before the yellowjackets get a whiff. Since we have now buttoned up the auxerrois with side panel nets they seemed to move over to the chardonnay rows...... [swoon.gif]

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#403 Post by Casey Hartlip » August 24th, 2020, 5:23 am

Had a moderate rain for 5 minutes at start time but just enough to fit the windshield. I've seen no lightning flashes anywhere so far. Full crew today but the Chard crop in today's field is about 70% of normal. No mildew though.
Ordway's Valley Foothills

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#404 Post by Merrill Lindquist » August 24th, 2020, 7:29 am

Gary Schulte wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 4:57 am
Merrill Lindquist wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 3:09 pm
Informals at 23B this morning. Fruit looks and tastes great (just ask the resident birds). Will do a real sample pull (200 berries) on Tuesday morning and a full lab panel.
We are finding out again that the Baltimore Orioles can find the higher brix grapes in a bunch up and down the 5 rows we have of auxerrois. Their pecking means that we have to go in and clean the pecked grapes out before the yellowjackets get a whiff. Since we have now buttoned up the auxerrois with side panel nets they seemed to move over to the chardonnay rows...... [swoon.gif]
How do they know? I put some mylar up and am doing my final picking prep this week (sorting on the vine). No thunder, no rain, no lightning.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#405 Post by Wes Barton » August 24th, 2020, 1:41 pm

Casey Hartlip wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 5:50 pm
So what else could possibly happen with harvest 2020? Unhealthy air quality you ask? Yep. We're not allowed to work if air quality hits a certain level....which it is as I type this. All of our crew would have to wear an N-95 mask at present air quality levels. The issue is wearing one is okay if your sitting on your bass on a tractor, but picking and walking/running? Don't think so. My guess is our blessed fog will return in the morning and give us 5-6 hours of clean air to get a day in. Hope so.
Here's the model we've been using: https://www.moldex.com/product/1500-n95 ... espirator/
Much better than previous n95 masks I've used. Didn't overheat they way many commonly do. Didn't shift out of position when I talked, like the vented ones I have do. This mfg has plenty of options. A vented one would still probably be better for distanced vineyard work. My friend who found these has medical connections and does insane levels of research when buying such things.
ITB - Useless lackey

Can't stand bloody wax capsules.

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#406 Post by Casey Hartlip » August 25th, 2020, 5:24 am

Air smells really clean this morning. Three more days of sparkling and we'll wrap that up. Can't take a breath however as Pinot Gris and still wine Chard are ready. My crew seems to have stabilized for the moment at a good level. The Pinot guys really not cooking yet in Anderson Valley so we'll see.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#407 Post by Merrill Lindquist » August 25th, 2020, 1:39 pm

Informals sitting at 23B this morning, Drove some samples to the winery and they got 22.9 from a more sophistcated gadget. My guess is 2 weeks, if the birds dont eat them all by then. (They leave my neighbor's alone - he is one row over! Different rootstock, slightly different soil, very different farming techniques.)
Merrill

BobMilton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#408 Post by BobMilton » August 25th, 2020, 2:48 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 1:39 pm
Informals sitting at 23B this morning, Drove some samples to the winery and they got 22.9 from a more sophistcated gadget. My guess is 2 weeks, if the birds dont eat them all by then. (They leave my neighbor's alone - he is one row over! Different rootstock, slightly different soil, very different farming techniques.)
What a great ad - our grapes are preferred three to one over our neighbors!

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#409 Post by Merrill Lindquist » August 25th, 2020, 2:52 pm

BobMilton wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 2:48 pm
Merrill Lindquist wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 1:39 pm
What a great ad - our grapes are preferred three to one over our neighbors!
And my neighbor just sells grapes from his 180 acres...no wine produced by him.

My best to you and your lady.
Merrill

Stewart Johnson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#410 Post by Stewart Johnson » August 25th, 2020, 6:57 pm

I've always dodged the smoke and thought I was this year too, but It's gotten pretty heavy at ground level the last few days. Now, I'm researching smoke taint winemaking protocols, testing services and insurance coverage. What looked like an excellent vintage seems to be falling apart at the end, and it looks like it's going to stay warm (at least not hot) for the foreseeable future. I could really go for a week in the 70s about now.
We picked about an acre of pinot last night for a Napa sparkling producer. I didn't smell any smoke coming out of the bins, but that's hardly definitive.
A couple things I re-learn on every first pick: 1) stop looking people in the face when I'm wearing a headlamp (their blinded recoils are a clue); and 2) I'm getting too old for this. The latter point is brought home when loading bins on the trailer. I use a forklift attachment on the back of my tractor, which entails a lot of looking directly behind me. My neck barely does 180 degrees side to side, let alone front to back. Throw in a few hours sleeping in the truck waiting for someone to show up at the winery this am, and my neck's feeling too creaky for this to be only night 1.
ITB
Kendric Vineyards

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#411 Post by Casey Hartlip » August 25th, 2020, 7:16 pm

Stewart Johnson wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 6:57 pm
I've always dodged the smoke and thought I was this year too, but It's gotten pretty heavy at ground level the last few days. Now, I'm researching smoke taint winemaking protocols, testing services and insurance coverage. What looked like an excellent vintage seems to be falling apart at the end, and it looks like it's going to stay warm (at least not hot) for the foreseeable future. I could really go for a week in the 70s about now.
We picked about an acre of pinot last night for a Napa sparkling producer. I didn't smell any smoke coming out of the bins, but that's hardly definitive.
A couple things I re-learn on every first pick: 1) stop looking people in the face when I'm wearing a headlamp (their blinded recoils are a clue); and 2) I'm getting too old for this. The latter point is brought home when loading bins on the trailer. I use a forklift attachment on the back of my tractor, which entails a lot of looking directly behind me. My neck barely does 180 degrees side to side, let alone front to back. Throw in a few hours sleeping in the truck waiting for someone to show up at the winery this am, and my neck's feeling too creaky for this to be only night 1.
Dude, i feel you on all points. Not as flexible and energetic as I once was. Also not as patient dealing with people who want to hear themselves talk. I really try only to use text during harvest as it provides a record and doesn't waste valuable time. Will pass 200 tons of sparkling tomorrow.....SO much left to do and decide. Sleep pattern still pretty f_cked up. Will be done with bubbles on the date that we usually START bubbles.

Al Osterheld

#412 Post by Al Osterheld » August 25th, 2020, 7:22 pm

Sorry to hear about the smoke, Stewart. Hope it works out.

-Al

Ken Zinns
GCC Member
GCC Member

#413 Post by Ken Zinns » August 26th, 2020, 12:42 pm

Bummer about the smoke at your place, Stewart. Hopefully it will have minimal effect but it’s tough to predict.
ITB, Harrington Wines & Eno Wines, and Grape-Nutz.com

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#414 Post by Casey Hartlip » August 26th, 2020, 4:32 pm

Will wrap sparkling tomorrow. Over 200 tons. Pinot was good, some Chard fields were either average or below average. Although we picked the Gruner, we move into Pinot Gris, Chard for low alcohol still wine and Pinot for Rose'. Haven't taken a sample in Gewurtz as I'm afraid to know how close it is.

N Weis

#415 Post by N Weis » August 26th, 2020, 6:37 pm

Sure has been an interesting one.....and we're not even into September yet!!

3 of our 4 Sauv blanc vineyards are in, with us finishing the Middle Reach over the next few days and only the Laguna area to come in a few weeks.

Been hitting Pinot pretty hard in RRV and SLH. We start at Ferrington Friday, Casey, so you'll see some activity at the winery next door. Pop over and say hello! The Twomey vineyard there in Philo is probably going to get going late next week, I'd imagine. The heat hit a few things hard, so we have another drop to do first.

But, a long way from done. Started with Calistoga Merlot today, but so far not much else in Alexander Valley or Napa Valley is screaming to get picked. We'll definitely have some Cabernet next week from the young, precocious vines, but things are a little bit stalled with vines recovering from the heatwave and not getting as much light due to haze. The one nice thing about that heatwave was that the humidity hung in there, so we didn't see things get as crazy stressed and fruit integrity was maintained. Now we wait, we see, we respond.

Some vintages, the job is to get out of the way. Some vintages, you earn your money. This is definitely the latter. Had a winery in the evacuation zone, so we literally packed it up and moved it across town to our other winery. Set up a makeshift cellar with temporary glycol pipes, etc. Everything that wasn't bolted down got moved. Now the evac order has been lifted, so we're moving it back and receiving fruit there tomorrow.

I can say that I do tend to enjoy being forced to get creative and resilient. Builds character and helps everyone realize how much gratitude they should have when things are more "normal". Am I a masochist? Perhaps. Going to hit the sack early tonight.....I feel like I normally do in late October right now (braindead, punchy, tired), but it's not even September.
ITB - N @ t e

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#416 Post by Casey Hartlip » August 28th, 2020, 5:16 am

Great post Nate.
Pinot rose' pick this morning, then Chard after that. Hoping to wrap by 10:30 or so. Pinot Gris tomorrow first thing then we do more Chard for two small clients. Nice to check off some boxes. Next week will be nuts coordinating crew/bins/trucking. As long as I can keep my pickers we can do it.

Edward H. Earles

#417 Post by Edward H. Earles » August 29th, 2020, 5:45 am

N Weis wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 6:37 pm
I feel like I normally do in late October right now (braindead, punchy, tired), but it's not even September.
I feel like that, and I'm not even a winemaker! rolleyes

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#418 Post by Casey Hartlip » August 30th, 2020, 6:12 am

45 degrees in the vineyard this morning, kind of wish we were picking......not!

Slept in until 5:00 this morning. Back at it tomorrow.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#419 Post by Merrill Lindquist » August 31st, 2020, 4:13 pm

My fruit seems "stuck" at 23B. Nate mentioned some recovery time from the heat wave...hopefully dthat is what this is. Flavor is excellent, but if you are measuring sugar, it ain't there.
Merrill

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#420 Post by Casey Hartlip » August 31st, 2020, 5:16 pm

Without looking I think we're at 260 tons picked. For the moment my crew is doing great. It's costing WAY too much, but this is a results business. I picked my first spec wine today. Thinking there will be a need for smoke free wine this year. Probably going to make some Pinot too. Already seeing action on my 2019 bulk in barrel. I delivered my Chard to Redwood Valley today and air quality was 432. Got back to heaven (Anderson Valley) and it was 63. Love that coastal influence. Gonna be a busy week: Chard tomorrow, Gewurtz on Wednesday, Pinot Gris on Thursday, and back to wrap the high end low alcohol Chard on Friday.

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#421 Post by Adam Frisch » August 31st, 2020, 8:09 pm

After the crazy early rise in sugars, I agree, they seem to be slightly slowing down/recovering from heat. I was very stressed out thinking it would all have to be a mad dash to bring it in at same time, but now I can see it will spread out a little bit better. My facility is so small, so if it all comes in at once, I simply can't process it all. So for me, this is a relief. Still very busy days, but better than it looked 2 weeks ago.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#422 Post by Casey Hartlip » September 1st, 2020, 5:44 pm

We will pass 300 tons tomorrow, our halfway point. Air in Anderson Valley is clean and we feel for our brothers and sisters in smoky areas.

N Weis

#423 Post by N Weis » September 1st, 2020, 8:00 pm

First Cabernet tomorrow from early and young sites in both Napa and Sonoma counties. Sugar loading appears to be peaking early this year, as it did in 2015. Fine by me.

Paul A will get going Wednesday and Friday nights next door to you, Casey. Finish Ferrington tomorrow.

Eerily silent on my pre-sunrise commutes through Napa, Sonoma, and Mendocino counties. Not much happening under the lights. Think everyone is waiting on ETS results.

We're probably 300 tons in and I have yet to taste anything in tank that worries me. Going to keep picking until I do (in addition to continuing our tests and bucket ferments, etc, of course). It's such a not-well-understood phenomenon, it seems, it will be somewhat wild if it ends up being a non issue.

The blood is running in the streets as the horse trading has begun between growers and wineries. I work for people who mean what they say, so it's been nice to make my phone calls. I'm sure the recipients pick up the phone with trepidation, but the message has been "I'm not giving up on 2020. I get paid to make wine, not NOT make wine. We're going to figure out solutions together that work for both of us."

I'm also a grower and have received "the form letter" from a winery. That says more or less the opposite.

Gonna be one for the record books, that's for sure.
ITB - N @ t e

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#424 Post by Casey Hartlip » September 2nd, 2020, 7:45 am

IMG_20200902_073917909.jpg
Not as much color development in Gewurtz this year. Not enough foggy mornings. Tastes great anyway.

Kim Z

#425 Post by Kim Z » September 3rd, 2020, 11:33 am

Casey Hartlip wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 7:45 am
IMG_20200902_073917909.jpg
Not as much color development in Gewurtz this year. Not enough foggy mornings. Tastes great anyway.
Lovely! Here is a jumbo Grenache cluster from our vines - almost 2#. Harvest Sat early before the big heat wave
GRE.jpg
K*I*M Zussm@n

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#426 Post by Casey Hartlip » September 3rd, 2020, 2:58 pm

IMG_20200903_075125259.jpg
Pinot Gris was beautiful this year. Slightly down in crop size. Cross that variety off for 2020. Tomorrow we finish a partial Chard field.

Stewart Johnson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#427 Post by Stewart Johnson » September 3rd, 2020, 10:54 pm

Another GD heat wave coming this weekend. I irrigated my way through the last one and will try again with this one. It's not a great choice, but i'd rather risk having to saignee than to pick up 3 brix in a weekend. The picks so far have been for sparkling and rose, and I'm not too worried about a little dilution there. I may regret watering this late when I get around to picking for regular table wines, but I almost always roll the dice on the attempt to hang into a more temperate ripening stretch run.
ITB
Kendric Vineyards

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#428 Post by Casey Hartlip » September 5th, 2020, 4:30 am

This ought to be an interesting day. It's 43 degrees out there now and predicted to reach 94 in Anderson Valley today. Pretty sure we'll be done by 8:00.

Got a whole lotta fruit to pick over the next two weeks. It's Pinot time now.

Paul Gordon
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#429 Post by Paul Gordon » September 5th, 2020, 12:29 pm

I am late posting my monthly report - just back from a few days of pre-harvest R&R in Lassen National Park. A beautiful, fascinating place and without cell coverage.
Glad to see August 2020 in the rearview mirror. We were fortunate to never see the extremes of heat that others experienced further south - the highest temps we experienced were 95F on both the 14th and 15th plus the high humidity/clouds meant that there was no vine stress. 1.5in of rain on the 17th was very welcome (and prevented any local fires). We ended with an average monthly high temp of 83F and average low temp of 59F, both two degrees above our 6 year averages. Generally a warm month but nothing like the very hot August 2017.
The last two weekends of the month both had hazy smoke, a little more exposure than 2017 and 2018 but highly unlikely to have created taint. I am starting micro-ferments this weekend in order to be sure.
We are just finishing up veraison and heading to mid-October picks (assuming no crazy high temps after this weekend).

Paul
Paul Gordon
Halcon Vineyards

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#430 Post by Adam Frisch » September 5th, 2020, 8:23 pm

Something winemakers don't like to talk about: pH's on fruit I've gotten so far has been high across the board. Even at 20.8 Brix on my Flame Tokay, the pH was almost 3.8. So the heat will for sure make for a bigger acid correction year for most producers. [whistle.gif] [truce.gif]
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#431 Post by Casey Hartlip » September 6th, 2020, 6:47 am

Very quiet from Merrill. Have you picked?

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#432 Post by Merrill Lindquist » September 6th, 2020, 7:49 am

Nope - not ready. Been hanging around 23B or so, flavors of fruit but not the "Ah, it's Cab" sense. Until an hour ago. I went out to the vineyard, grabbed an informal sample and tasting, and it has gone to "Cab" and 24B. It had actually fallen to 22B after a big long irrigation session a few days ago, which I had done and try to do in advnace of major heat spikes/waves. But I think I am well on my way...maybe Wednesday? Harvest crew lined up, winery waiting, just waiting for when I make the call. Terrifying and exciting!
Merrill

J. Migone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#433 Post by J. Migone » September 6th, 2020, 12:23 pm

Merrill your 2011 is drinking amazing, what was the brix for that vintage?
The one and only Obi Juan Migone

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#434 Post by Merrill Lindquist » September 6th, 2020, 3:30 pm

J. Migone wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 12:23 pm
Merrill your 2011 is drinking amazing, what was the brix for that vintage?
23 something. Latest pick ever, lowest Brix ever, and look how lovely.
Merrill

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#435 Post by Casey Hartlip » September 7th, 2020, 4:51 am

Picking Pinot this morning for 3 different clients. This is one of our best quality blocks. Hope to be done before 10:00 and it gets hot. Luckily it's 55 degrees right now and everyone showed up on a holiday.

Stewart Johnson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#436 Post by Stewart Johnson » September 7th, 2020, 10:15 am

I looked up from the macro I was leafing a few nights ago to see one of my guys (hardest worker, worst picker) preparing to consolidate a couple picking lugs by stomping on the grapes in one lug to create more room. Needless to say, we had to review some of the basics on fruit handling.
ITB
Kendric Vineyards

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#437 Post by Merrill Lindquist » September 7th, 2020, 11:11 am

Stewart Johnson wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 10:15 am
I looked up from the macro I was leafing a few nights ago to see one of my guys (hardest worker, worst picker) preparing to consolidate a couple picking lugs by stomping on the grapes in one lug to create more room. Needless to say, we had to review some of the basics on fruit handling.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Merrill

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#438 Post by Casey Hartlip » September 7th, 2020, 1:52 pm

THIS.......f*ck........ WEATHER.

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#439 Post by Adam Frisch » September 7th, 2020, 2:04 pm

Stewart Johnson wrote:
[wow.gif]
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Roy Piper

#440 Post by Roy Piper » September 7th, 2020, 2:42 pm

Last Three Days ...

St Helena.... 108, 112, 111(now)
Santa Rosa... 103, 107, 109 (now)

Tomorrow will be 100-104 in these areas.

We talk about possible taint but forget what f*ck quality in many places in 2017 was actually the Labor Day heat. Well.... here we are. And no one will be able to claim they picked off before the fires this time.

What pisses me off is that I think we were heading to an epic 25 brix year. Flavors seemed ahead of brix for Napa and seeds were already 1/4 brown at 21 brix. We were heading for a great, classical vintage. Now I am just not sure.
ITB, text me anytime at 707-266-4168

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#441 Post by Merrill Lindquist » September 7th, 2020, 3:05 pm

Roy Piper wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 2:42 pm
Last Three Days ...

We talk about possible taint but forget what f*ck quality in many places in 2017 was actually the Labor Day heat. Well.... here we are. And no one will be able to claim they picked off before the fires this time.

What pisses me off is that I think we were heading to an epic 25 brix year. Flavors seemed ahead of brix for Napa and seeds were already 1/4 brown at 21 brix. We were heading for a great, classical vintage. Now I am just not sure.
so why not pick now?
Merrill

Roy Piper

#442 Post by Roy Piper » September 7th, 2020, 3:59 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 3:05 pm
Roy Piper wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 2:42 pm
Last Three Days ...

so why not pick now?
Because to pick now in most places in Napa is the only way to guarantee a sub-expectation wine, in my opinion, for my style, especially below Rutherford. 22.5 to 23 brix and 3.3-3.4 pH may be good for Chard and Pinot, but not for my Cab. The earliest I can see is 18 days out, and more likely 21-25. The flavor is just not there. It's only September 7th. I either go for the full-Monty, complete with 70-100% new oak and all-out extraction, or.... fagedaboudit. pileon
ITB, text me anytime at 707-266-4168

Ken Zinns
GCC Member
GCC Member

#443 Post by Ken Zinns » September 7th, 2020, 5:05 pm

You mean that’s not how everyone does it? 🤣
Stewart Johnson wrote:
ITB, Harrington Wines & Eno Wines, and Grape-Nutz.com

timmy roos
GCC Member
GCC Member

#444 Post by timmy roos » September 7th, 2020, 5:35 pm

This ets testing delay is killing us. We are having to make decisions on what tests may come back as. We are essentially flying blind
Things are getting funny these day

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#445 Post by Casey Hartlip » September 7th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Had to sign two different smoke taint amendments this week. Clients are in CYA mode. I still think our fruit will be some of the cleanest in the north coast region considering what has happened. I was telling a buddy today that we haven't had a real difficult harvest since 2011 so mathematically we were due for a rough one. 1983, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2008, 2011. You can expect 2 rough vintages from a decade. The next two weeks will be crazy. With these two crazy hot days, there is better weather coming soon and my hope is the fruit will recover on the vine after the brutal heat.

Paul Gordon
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#446 Post by Paul Gordon » September 8th, 2020, 8:00 am

Casey Hartlip wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 6:45 pm
Had to sign two different smoke taint amendments this week. Clients are in CYA mode. I still think our fruit will be some of the cleanest in the north coast region considering what has happened. I was telling a buddy today that we haven't had a real difficult harvest since 2011 so mathematically we were due for a rough one. 1983, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2008, 2011. You can expect 2 rough vintages from a decade. The next two weeks will be crazy. With these two crazy hot days, there is better weather coming soon and my hope is the fruit will recover on the vine after the brutal heat.
Casey

I thought 2017 was a tough year especially for the early ripening varieties - we bulked out some Pinot Noir. So far 2020 seems less stressful on the vines, at least in Mendocino. If we get a rapid cooled down back to average temps, I can see 2020 ending well.

Paul
Paul Gordon
Halcon Vineyards

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#447 Post by Casey Hartlip » September 8th, 2020, 8:45 am

Figuring out why we're missing estimates is berry size. Thought be had 24 bins of Gewurtz this morning turns out to be 18. Looking at the berries and they are small.

Edward H. Earles

#448 Post by Edward H. Earles » September 8th, 2020, 2:36 pm

Casey Hartlip wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 8:45 am
Figuring out why we're missing estimates is berry size. Thought be had 24 bins of Gewurtz this morning turns out to be 18. Looking at the berries and they are small.
Concentrated flavors, though? Might be a legendary Gewurz.

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#449 Post by Casey Hartlip » September 8th, 2020, 4:25 pm

Ed I think many of these grapes are going make outstanding wines.

Looking for the heat to back off soon, we really need that now.

Today had two lots picked for clients by 10:30. Both trucks arrive and BOTH my rental and old Blackwelder forklifts take a dump on me. Truckers tapping their feet, winemakers texting wanting to know ETA.

Luckily my neighbors at Navarro weren't crazy busy and let's us borrow one. Drove it the half mile right down hwy 128 with my foreman following with flashers on. What a cluster.

N Weis

#450 Post by N Weis » September 8th, 2020, 7:13 pm

Casey Hartlip wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 6:45 pm
Asking you to sign amendments *after* a fire presents itself, eh? Did they also ask you to flood insure their house after the waters started to rise?

You are a patient soul, Casey.

Not a big fan of wineries CYA'ing on the backs of growers.....and I work for a winery.
ITB - N @ t e

Return to “Cellar Rats (ITB)”