Any wineries using Sqaurespace Ecommerce for online sales?

Doing my due diligence:

My winery website has been built using Squarespace. But when I looked earlier this year, Squarespace used Stripe as a CC processor and they specifically prohibit sales of alcohol. Now you can use PayPal and ApplePay, so that obstacle is now gone. However, I’m a little suspicious of their solutions for complex businesses like wine sales, etc, so had planned on using a dedicated provider for that (Orderport). But thought I’d ask here just to make sure I’m not missing a viable solution, as the integrated Squarespace option would be both cheaper to maintain and look better as it “stays in house”.

Would love to hear from others ITB or small wineries that might be using this solution? What are your experiences, drawbacks, recommends etc?

My worries are mainly that Sqs will be lacking in:

1. Customer databasing - what they buy, when etc?
  2. Email gathering, managing, options to email customers offers, allocations etc?
  3. Legal compliance?
  4. Shipping integration with FedEx/UPS?

How many cases are you producing / selling DTC?

About 1200.

Adam - It appears that Paumanok and Palmer Vineyards are using Squarespace eCommerce.

Paumanok - https://paumanok.squarespace.com/
Palmer - SHOP — Palmer Vineyards

Thanks, I’ll reach out to them. I think Kelley Fox might also be using it. I emailed her asking for her experience, but no answer as of yet.

FYI - Just spoke to Dustin Swenson at Kelley Fox winery and they do indeed use Squarespace solely. He said he was very happy with it and that it integrates well with Mailchimp etc. His only complaint was that the database (i.e. wine club) doesn’t show the full credit card numbers to him (just the last 4 digits), so he has to call the customers if he needs that. But I’m sure you could tailor an allocation link to the sell point where you might not even need to know the customers CC at all. These are things I’ll have to find out.

We use Squarespace for our website, and when we did the research, their online payment processor was the ONLY one that would do wine sales. We had to provide our fed and state licenses to prove we were legally able to sell wine I believe.